Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People don't seem to understand how good he is and what he is thought of around the league.

I think he's one of the best in the league when he's on the field. The data no one has here is the medical data.

Again a very tough call but it seems that McD was honest with Sammy. Sammy is on record saying he wants that kind of structure and accountability.

He plays this year and comes out the first few games blazing the Bills should make him a big offer and lock him up. If he comes out and shows effects from injury then it was the right call to not pay a lot.

Bills decide to pass on Watkins' option year Unbelievable. This is perhaps the only thing that could have made the Bills' trade up in the 2014 draft even more disastrous. The Bills are clearly petrified of Watkins suffering another injury and guaranteeing himself a massive payday for 2018 options years are guaranteed for injury only but they've backed themselves into a corner if Watkins has a monster 2017, something certainly not outside the realm of possibility for a wideout who has yet to turn 24. The franchise tag costs more than the option. In a league placing an ever-increasing premium on high-end receiving talent, the Bills are playing fire with theirs. The Bills maybe shouldn't be letting someone who was a defensive coordinator just five months ago run their front office.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/859483283243053061

From rotoworld

The guy is a good player not great.

He hasn't shown anything but flashes.

If he doesn't show much this year he may just be allowed to walk.

The harsh reality is this regime isn't tied to him and extending the 5th year would only be prolonging the pain.

Edited by JMF2006

Lol is this his agent. Guy is a bust if he is not healthy for 16 games in my book

Yep. In his first two years, playing hurt every game, missing several, on a running team that couldn't pass and sometimes outright refused to throw him the ball, he had 150 catches and 2000+ yards and 15 TDs. Bust written all over him.

No, they do not. Bills fans are a special breed...

I don't think being seriously concerned with SW's health is an outlandish position. Right?

I mean, I don't think any person would say that Watkins without chronic injury concerns is awesome. But if he keeps hurting his foot and missing games, then not much you can do.

so now Pegula is concerned about money....fires all his GMs and coaches after giving them new contracts but won't pay Watkins

It really isn't TP's call, he's not going to jump in and start roster building. If you can read between the lines (he just fired almost everyone associated with that trade), I think you'll realize the decision was made a while ago. Bottom line is that Sammy has to stay on the field or it's Bye Felicia.

people are just disagreeing with you because you think sammy will mail it in. that's all. i think most wanted the bills to pick up the option. i did, but i understand why they didn't.

you know...it may not be the case where everyone else is wrong, and you're right. just keep you mind open to learning something new. it's the sole reason why i read these boards.

I'm just trying to get in line with the propaganda machine

I don't think being seriously concerned with SW's health is an outlandish position. Right?

I mean, I don't think any person would say that Watkins without chronic injury concerns is awesome. But if he keeps hurting his foot and missing games, then not much you can do.

The Bills have plenty of cap room in the future and have no talent on their roster. They are paying millions of dollars to coaches who aren't here. Pay your only star player and take the risk.

They could pull the 5th year option all the way up until next spring due to injury. Wonder what other excuses are coming down the pipeline because that one just got nuked.

I don't think that's right. I think they could pull the offer for any reason OTHER than injury. The 5th year is fully guaranteed for injuries. Right?

Alshon Jeffrey signed with Philly for 9.5... Watkins injury guarantee was what 13?

One has been significantly more productive than the other, and was still only given a 1 year prove-it deal because of injuries.

Anyone saying Watkins is "getting paid" if he mails it in this year is probably wrong.

Sammy has no leverage. His agent won't even be surprised by this.

With that said, I hope he has a healthy and productive season.

Hopefully TT realizes it's in everyone's best interest to stare him down every single pass play (see 2015 Bills/Chiefs 1st Half).

I don't think that's right. I think they could pull the offer for any reason OTHER than injury. The 5th year is fully guaranteed for injuries. Right?

I think so, I reread it because it didn't make sense. I edited my post, I think it is just for injuries.

The Bills have plenty of cap room in the future and have no talent on their roster. They are paying millions of dollars to coaches who aren't here. Pay your only star player and take the risk.

Last I checked, coaches don't count against the salary cap.

I mean, it's easy for you to say that, but in reality it's complicated due to his foot.

They can still franchise him next year if all goes well. Basically they are buying a free injury option that could cost 4m or so next year.