We should trade Sammy

This is just sad

1. He is coming off a Jones Fracture injury why do you think you would get anything CLOSE to what we paid for him.

2. The investment we made to pick him it makes NO SENSE to trade him......he is a huge part of our offense

3. Why do people not understand that they just want to make sure the foot heals based on the time he missed last year before making a major committeement......and that we will have more then enough cap room to tag him and then work out a deal

Sammy Watkins is not going anywhere....and the selection of Zay Jones does not change that

Well said.

Zay seems to be the perfect compliment to Sammy actually.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we might get a bag of footballs and a pair of seasons tickets to the blue jays and mean Joe Green for him, he is worthless until he can prove he can play, and if he does prove he can play we pick up the option and then sign him.

The injury protection would be difficult to over come.

i know they're rare, but if you can make a 1-for-1 trade happen with an NFC team, I'd take a dynamic S, TE, or LB.

i think it's less that fans want to ditch him out of spite, and more that he's never healthy (8 games last year), and he's at a position where it's only maximized by consistent QB play. Maybe if Zay pans out early, it will take pressure off Sammy, but if we have to roll without a solid WR2 for another season, it's kind of a waste. Look at our other WRs on the depth chart. Is anyone striking fear in an opponent? No. They're going to roll a safety over Sammy all day.

How does getting rid of Watkins help our WR depth chart? And yes, they do roll a safety over Sammy. That's why I wanted them to go WR in the 1st round in the draft (but I'm still happy with the trade down, and then the trade up for Zay Jones). Sammy still works magic even with the safety over the top, but just imagine if they can't rely on him being our only WR threat. Getting rid of Watkins makes no sense. Give him a new 6 year contract and be done with it all.

Edited by What a Tuel

How does getting rid of Watkins help our WR depth chart? And yes, they do roll a safety over Sammy. That's why I wanted them to go WR in the 1st round in the draft (but I'm still happy with the trade down, and then the trade up for Zay Jones). Sammy sitll works magic even with the safety over the top, but just imagine if they can't rely on him being our only WR threat. Getting rid of Watkins makes no sense. Give him a new 6 year contract and be done with it all.

Please ignore facts. So what if he is by far the most talented player on this team? So what if the injury he had takes that amount of time to heal for the human body? Half the board hates Sammy for no rational reason whatsoever. It appears the new coach hates him as well. So hop on board and just be satisfied if we get a 3rd or 4th for him because that is all he is worth. Plus it enables people to hate Whaley forever. If Sammy does well at his destination then that is all the more to grouse about. It is the ultimate pity party of all time.

Sammy is a one dimensional player that we WAY over paid for.

One dimensional player? Hardly. Maybe it seems that way to you because he plays with a QB that is limited in his field vision and wiliness to throw into tight windows. But even with that limitation I can tell that Sammy has many dimensions to his game.

I was away this weekend. What makes you say the above. Did I miss something? He HATES Sammy?

The coach is basically the GM at this point too. Picking up 5th year is a no brainer. Not doing so hurts Sammy and the Bills. There is no rational reason to deny it. It has to be emotion based. Obviously we don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes but McDermott is biting off his nose to spite his face. It's irrational.

The coach is basically the GM at this point too. Picking up 5th year is a no brainer. Not doing so hurts Sammy and the Bills. There is no rational reason to deny it. It has to be emotion based. Obviously we don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes but McDermott is biting off his nose to spite his face. It's irrational.

The only thing that makes it rational is if they plan to do a long term contract that will lower the average salary vs franchise tag/option.

If they don't do a long term contract and franchise tag him in 2018, and then let him go, it would be a bewildering move.

Edited by What a Tuel

The only thing that makes it rational is if they plan to do a long term contract that will lower the average salary vs franchise tag/option.

If they don't do a long term contract and franchise tag him in 2018, and then let him go, it would be a bewildering move.

Yup. That's my thoughts as well. Long term contract, immediately after the season, as long as that foot holds up.

I think the Zay pick is further evidence they want to keep Sammy long term. He looks to be a great compliment opposite Watkins, and a chain moving first down machine. While Sammy is your elite, do it all WR. Go ahead and double Sammy, we got the best hands in the draft Imo , and at 6'2 , with great instincts and superb quickness, will make teams pay for doubling Sammy.

He's a bigger , higher ceiling Robert Woods.

Hopefully Listenbee can be that speedster in the slot and we suddenly have a really good, young WR corps . Don't forget about Clay and O Leary who was really coming on and looking good as a #2 TE

Yes, you try to do a long term deal after you pick up that 5th year option. Use the tag if you cannot get it done . It takes two to tango, however and if they don't pick up the option I think Sammy walks. They can use the tag, but if he doesn't want to sign it won't matter. He'll be Josh Norman. Not picking up that option will burn their bridges with SW.

Your math is wrong, and you missed Nick O'Leary. Geez did you pass grade school?

I did better analysis. I looked at the players we drafted, how many we kept, how many are still in the NFL. That will tell us how good Whaley's eye for talents are compared to others in NFL. Here are the results:

gXIOLGP.png

Whaley has done a better job of drafting than World Champion New England Patriots!

I think drafting is better judged by the contributions of those 15 and 18 players rather than absolute counts.

He is going to be really productive this season if the Bills don't pick up his option. His value will be higher and the Bills could opt to sign him to a deal or franchise him. Seems like he's the kind of guy though that really is motivated by contract years.

Only way the Bills trade him now is if they get a 1st round pick and conditional picks based on performance. This would also mean that Zay Jones and Clay are ready to be stars in this offense.

Long term Zay Jones will probably have a more productive career than Sammy.

How does getting rid of Watkins help our WR depth chart? And yes, they do roll a safety over Sammy. That's why I wanted them to go WR in the 1st round in the draft (but I'm still happy with the trade down, and then the trade up for Zay Jones). Sammy still works magic even with the safety over the top, but just imagine if they can't rely on him being our only WR threat. Getting rid of Watkins makes no sense. Give him a new 6 year contract and be done with it all.

My advice to trade him was based off of the news that we're not picking up his option right now. Also, your hypothetical works great if Sammy is healthy. if he's not, none of this matters.

I agree.