Bills GM Candidates

wppete

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one not finding the rumored guys all that inspiring? Granted, I am not that familiar with a bunch of them, but what stands out to me is the lack of track record or GM experience. I am not going to put much thought into this, but was hoping to see some names that brought more evidence of being able to effectively do the job well.

It sounds to me like Pegula wants new blood, new way of thinking.... he seems to be interviewing former assistant GM's for the Sabres, probably doing the same with the Bills.

Yep. The Falcons put it all together this year. The Dolphins are not built to last and I doubt they are on an ascendency but it remains to be seen.

Why would you think that? Playoffs under a young up and coming first year coach. Kicked us around last season, by all accounts had a solid draft and started replacing some dead weight this offseason.

Age doesnt matter anymore. Whether McD was in charge of the final decisions at the draft or not it does seem a little strange to fire the whole scouting staff and GM after a decent draft?

This is the most mind boggling thing about all this. All I can come up with is the trade back in the 1st rd. I have a feeling Pegula wanted Mahomes or Watson and thankfully we traded back.

It's the only reasonable thing around this hack job firing after a very solid draft.

...Pegula is a methodical thinking scientist by trade.....they are not known for snap, knee jerk decisions......deliberate, analytical, etc in their way.....they move at THEIR own pace and publish their conclusion when THEY see fit....hence, Sabres and Bills changes are NOW forthcoming..

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

So what happens to Overdorf when the new GM comes in? I say they gotta get rid of him. He's still a piece of the old culture and regime that they seem to be moving away from.

I don't really see how a numbers guy / bean counter is part of a " culture", but okay I guess.

I'll be very upset if it's Beane. I'm not impressed by Carolina's front office, and to hire a single-franchise PR guy for our GM smacks of future disappointment to me. Seems super Billsy though.

I'm pulling for Veach among the rumored names.

This is the most mind boggling thing about all this. All I can come up with is the trade back in the 1st rd. I have a feeling Pegula wanted Mahomes or Watson and thankfully we traded back.

It's the only reasonable thing around this hack job firing after a very solid draft.

I read somewhere, and now I cannot recollect where, that McD was making all the calls on this draft, that he is very much a Taylor supporter, and that Whaley was the fella likely pushing for a Mahomes or Watson. (I rather liked Whaley and would have taken Mahomes at ten, btw.)

Experienced head coaches get to tell GMs what to do. First timers don't.

Times and methods of operation change. I just hope all of this confidence McD inspired in the Pegula's shows up in wins in the fall.

I'll be very upset if it's Beane. I'm not impressed by Carolina's front office, and to hire a single-franchise PR guy for our GM smacks of future disappointment to me. Seems super Billsy though.

I'm pulling for Veach among the rumored names.

Why will you be upset? None of us know anything about these candidates outside of reports. He could be a great GM.

I read somewhere, and now I cannot recollect where, that McD was making all the calls on this draft, that he is very much a Taylor supporter, and that Whaley was the fella likely pushing for a Mahomes or Watson. (I rather liked Whaley and would have taken Mahomes at ten, btw.)

Let's just say you might be on to something.

Why will you be upset? None of us know anything about these candidates outside of reports. He could be a great GM.

Because he's a PR/media communications guy, he's only had experience within one organization, I don't think carolina's front office is terribly impressive, and it seems like too much of a "yes man" move given the McD connection. Veach is a football guy with a good pedigree in the league.

Edited by NickelCity

Job Wanted: General Manager Buffalo Bills.

Job description: Come in and have no power over players, we have a guy for that. Be responsible for blame for salary cap and bad contracts but no credit for good ones. You won't get to talk to the press, we have a guy for that. Work 25-8 on scouting players but you don't get to choose them. We'll overpay though and don't mind paying you to leave. Come join our family!!!

Lol!!