Tyrod will not be handed starting Job

MAJBobby

But then there's this :

Tyrod's stats in the 15 games with Watkins *and* Woods

63.6% comp. 8.25 YPA. 27 TD passes. 6 INTs

and this

Watkins and Woods combined stats in those 15 games... 101 receptions 1515 yards 11 TDs

Nice numbers for one guy not two.

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not particularly.

If Taylor's play on the field in 2017 is the single most important evaluation tool, why is he making a declaration before having said evaluation tool?

He has 2 years of tape on Taylor and decided based on those years that Taylor was a franchise guy, why would 2017 be the most important? If 2 years of "good tape" said TT was the answer, would it really be justifiable to pull the plug after 1 year of "bad tape?"

It just doesn't jive. Derek Carr ain't getting canned after next season with a down year. Can you name a single "QB of the future" who will be let go by the team after one down year in the NFL?

To answer your questions in order:

- I don't know, maybe he really likes what he's seen from Taylor on tape in the past and from what he's seen in person and what he's saying is projection based on that.

- I really can't believe you're seriously asking this question. Because the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" league. I think it's pretty clear that McDermott expects Taylor to be pretty successful this year and, based off of those expectations, it seems he would be projecting his QB of the future as Taylor right now. Obviously, if he sucks, McDermott's feelings would change.

Coaches opinions on players change, ya know...

And if Carr sucks this year, his coach's opinion on him will change on him depending on factors involved.

- Taylor has a unique contract to allow for this. It's a unique situation. But in the same way that from 2012-2015 we heard praise heaped upon the new upcoming QBs who would inevitably be Elite QBs like RG3, Kaepernick, Tannehill, and Bortles and now everyone has rightfully turned almost a full 180 degrees on those opinions, McDermott can do the same thing.

Smart and good coaches and GMs in the NFL do what's frowned upon in Internet message boards: They change their opinions based on what they see.

That stat line is missing one very important number. Yards per game passing. Sure Tyrod's TD to Interception rate is good. (Because he has been afraid to throw in a lot of situations unless his receiver is wide open) But his yards/game has been anemic most of the time. Can someone find that number when Watkins and Woods are both playing? I still don't think it was nearly good enuf.

Yards per Game is a function of attempts, which was a factor mostly outside of Taylor's control. Undoubtedly some attempts became runs, with a fraction of those TT leaving the pocket earlier than necessary. Mostly, however, you're blaming him for being on a run-first team. And - matter of history - it was a run-first team before Taylor ever signed with the Bills. The real question is whether those stellar numbers declined in games where the Bills abandoned the run, and Taylor was asked to throw more. I don't know the stats on that, but my general impression is no. Certainly those games were more frequently losses, but usually you give up doing what you want out of desperation - so cause & effect are hard to sort.

But the Wood & Watkins numbers do seem to settle a few points : For all the fundamental flaws people love to find in his game, there's a very high floor to how fundamental those flaws must be. Give him a real Number 1&2 and 63.6% is the result? Exactly how "inaccurate" can he be? And clearly the status of his receiving corps played a major part in the 2016 "regression". It was always mind-boggling to watch people deny that - and do so with a teeth-gnashing religious fervor at that. Maybe you put some fault on Taylor for mistrusting his practice squad receivers too much, but it was a pretty brutal situation for a second year starter.

Edited by grb

Let's make this simple:

1. Taylor goes into camp as the #1. If he has a good to great year we have our guy. A good outcome.

2. Taylor gets outplayed by Peterman or Jones, and one of the younger guys grabs the job through their performance. Then TT can be traded to another QB needy team. A good outcome.

3. TT doesn't earn a long term deal and the young guys are still questionable. Use the two first round picks with maybe others and draft the guy you want next year. Good outcome.

Let's make this simple:

1. Taylor goes into camp as the #1. If he has a good to great year we have our guy. A good outcome.

2. Taylor gets outplayed by Peterman or Jones, and one of the younger guys grabs the job through their performance. Then TT can be traded to another QB needy team. A good outcome.

3. TT doesn't earn a long term deal and the young guys are still questionable. Use the two first round picks with maybe others and draft the guy you want next year. Good outcome.

Yep... but #1 and that "good" to "great" definition is what seems to be the issue and question... Edited by transplantbillsfan

and this

Watkins and Woods combined stats in those 15 games... 101 receptions 1515 yards 11 TDs

Nice numbers for one guy not two.

They also only played 19 games combined with Taylor... and both were hobbled for multiple games in ways very unlike the normal wear and tear of an NFL WR, particularly Sammy. Edited by transplantbillsfan

We missed the big play offense his past year. I think we had 12 fewer 50 yards plays. With Sammy he probably has 5-6 of those and maybe opens up someone else for a couple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I blame this at least in part on play calling and Lynn.

The Bills do not think Tyrod is the Quarterback of the future. You do not make someone take a pay cut and halve their contract length if you think that.

Actions > words. Their actions are clear - they think he is their best option now and a good bridge Quarterback. And they are 100% correct in my eyes.

The Bills do not think Tyrod is the Quarterback of the future. You do not make someone take a pay cut and halve their contract length if you think that.

Actions > words. Their actions are clear - they think he is their best option now and a good bridge Quarterback. And they are 100% correct in my eyes.

Got it, Boss :thumbsup:

Per WGR app

I agree with Sal. These guys have worked together before and are on the same page....which is why Beane was hired.

CAPACCIO: When it comes to QB, Bills talk - and actions - are calculated

McDermott and Beane know exactly what they're saying

SAL CAPACCIO

MAY 16, 2017 - 2:40 PM

CATEGORIES: Bills News NFL Our Opinions Top Stories

So, a lot is being made of Bills GM Brandon Beane's - and for that matter head coach Sean McDermott's - comments regarding Tyrod Taylor and the team's quarterback situation overall heading into 2017. Heck, I even wrote about them after Beane was on WGR Monday morning. That was the second round of "interesting" that day. The first was a joint interview both did with Peter King in TheMMQB.com.

By now you've probably read or heard at least the abbreviated versions of what was said. If not, it basically goes like this:

Neither McDermott nor Beane have come out and said Taylor will definitely be the team's starting QB come opening day, or even once training camp opens, for that matter. Both have used the word "competition" several times, referring to the entire roster, not just the QB position.

The closest either came to stamping Taylor under center is Beane saying "If we walked out there today I would say Tyrods probably the starter." But that's it. And that's what's leaving a lot to interpretation by fans, as well as local and national media.

So here's my interpretation, trying to put what's been said into context.

First, both of these men intentionally measure their words carefully. It's part of the reason they were chosen for their current positions. They think before they speak. Everything they say is thoughtful. Even calculated. They both know they can declare Tyrod the unquestioned starter for 2017 and even beyond at any time. But neither has, which means there's a reason for that.

That reason isn't because either expects someone to beat out Taylor as the Bills' starter in 2017. I'm confident they both believe he'll be the one getting almost all the first-team reps at camp (aside from just giving the backups snaps for insurance purposes) and ultimately running the offense once the regular season begins.

But both also know they may very well move on from Taylor following this coming season. And as two young faces putting their names and reputations on the line for the first time for what they hope will be many years, why hitch their wagons to one that may be pulling out of town in less than 12 months?

Sure, Taylor will get every opportunity to be the QB of the future of the Buffalo Bills. He'll have the chance to be that franchise guy. And I believe it will be genuine. Not just window-dressing. The door is open for that to happen. If he pushes through it and emerges on the other side with the Bills in the playoffs and/or a terrific individual season (however that can be defined), McDermott and Beane will either keep him and his $18 million salary cap hit around in 2018 or maybe even sign him to an extension to lower that figure.

But let's go back to April 27. Draft night. The Bills swung a deal with the Kansas City Chiefs to drop down 17 spots and pick up an extra first round pick next year. I stated right away that it was apparent to me the two teams did it to grab franchise QBs. The Chiefs to get theirs in 2017, which turned out to be Patrick Mahomes, and the Bills to get theirs in 2018, having more ammunition to move up in what's regarded as a loaded QB class. Just as McDermott's and Beane's words are calculated, so was that deal, orchestrated by the new head coach.

Fast-forward three weeks. I'm now even more confident that was the case then, and is still the case now.

So just as we were headed into last season, Tyod Taylor will be playing to prove he deserves to be the franchise QB of the Buffalo Bills. And he will get the chance to do that in 2017, despite a lack of complete endorsement in public.

But as he's doing that, the computers in the brains of the new heads of Bills' football will just continue to do what they have already been doing all offseason.

Calculating.

The best case scenario is that Tyrod plays really well, we get to the playoffs, KC goes 1-15, and we can trade that 1st overall pick for a boatload of goodies and stack the roster.

I would not be against one of the goodies being a qb

Even if TT kills it....would not be a bad idea to keep filling the QB cup....there has been a shortage in Buffalo for such a long time.

Even if TT kills it....would not be a bad idea to keep filling the QB cup....there has been a shortage in Buffalo for such a long time.

If Tyrod truly kills it and starts doing stuff he hasn't shown with great consistency im not sure why you would do that

If Tyrod racks up stats heaving the ball to Sammy on the outside and still avoids reads in the middle of the field and getting the ball out on time consistently I guess that's different... but not really killing it

If we could only grow QB's like we do CB's,

Pats have the best QB in the league yet still devote a great deal of attention and time upgrading the position.

So what happens if TT plays well this year?

It COULD happen

You guys are seriously arguing about what is going to happen and how Tyrod will play out before it happens? Might as well pick lottery numbers and argue who has the correct numbers before the drawing.

If we could only grow QB's like we do CB's,

Pats have the best QB in the league yet still devote a great deal of attention and time upgrading the position.

They don't spend any time upgrading the position. They draft a backup QB on a cheap contract. When contract is about to expire they draft a new backup while fleecing a team to trade for old backup.

I suppose I'd ask what plays well means John. I see 3 possible scenarios:

A - The most likely - Tyrod is pretty much the Quarterback we have seen so far and plays reasonably well as we end around .500. In my mind in that scenario the Bills keep Tyrod for the 2nd year of his contract even at the higher salary and draft a Quarterback in round 1. Tyrod starts 2018 as the starter and probably reliquinshes to the rookie at some point and is a FA in 2019.

B - Tyrod hits it out of the park in 2017, throws for more yards, more touchdowns, a few more picks but wins the Bills games frequently. In that scenario I think the Bills try and extend him and don't take a Quarterback in round 1 and whether they take one in rounds 2 and 3 depends on how much they like Peterman.

C - Tyrod regresses in the new offense when the run game doesn't click and he is forced to try and win more games in his arm. In that scenario I think the Bills bench him wih 5 or 6 games left cut ties at the end of 2017 swallow the cap hit and draft a Quarterback in round 1 who competes with Peterman to start in 2018.

You guys are seriously arguing about what is going to happen and how Tyrod will play out before it happens? Might as well pick lottery numbers and argue who has the correct numbers before the drawing.

They don't spend any time upgrading the position. They draft a backup QB on a cheap contract. When contract is about to expire they draft a new backup while fleecing a team to trade for old backup.

McD has devised a good plan of action going forward into the future with T Mobile in my humble.

If I was a betting man, my moneys on Taylor...

double down, haha

Edited by Figster