Tyrod will not be handed starting Job

MAJBobby

Opinion masquerading as fact, signifying nothing.

And to think...all you'd have had to do was put the words 'I think' in there somewhere and suddenly it's a useful comment. But that would require a modicum of restraint and awareness, wouldn't it?

This goes for countless posts by a number of posters on both sides of the aisle :flirt:

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple question for you man. Not trying to start an argument or anything...

Why do you think McDermott decided not to pick up Tyrod's 5 year contract (that would have been very reasonable cap hit for a guy viewed as a franchise QB), and instead gave him a 2 year deal that allows the Bills to move on after this season with only $8M dead cap?

If he were truly convinced that Tyrod is the future QB, why did he kind of bet against him by shortening the contract?

If Tyrod proved to be the franchise QB, it will most likely cost a lot more to keep him now.

And if you want my answer for number 2 it's because McDermott hasn't seen enough of Taylor up close to wager his future on him if he doesn't have to. What he did with the contract and the draft move is about the best possible QB scenario he could hope for. He's hedging his bets and now has options. Just because he's giving himself options doesn't mean he doesn't have opinions on which options are most likely.

Why is this an either/or scenario for everyone? McDermott has set himself with who he believes (according to him) will be the team's long term answer at the position based on what he's seen so far but he's given himself an out and options to get a franchise QB after this season if he's wrong.

quit starting **** that you know isn't true. you do this all the time. i never said Whaley wasn't going to be fired. there is a difference between believing in someone and saying they won't be fired.

actually, why don't you just run along, i think mommy's calling.

Trump is that you ??

This offense is seeming to be a short pass, quick hitter, get the ball in a place for run after catch and get the ball into versitle playmakers hands underneath...that might not be the strength of Tyrod. But it might be the strength of some other Bills QBs. Obviously we will adapt to the players we have, I just picture something different then what Tyrod seems to want to do. I guess we will see what happens once the pads come on.

Do you think if not for the luck of arm strength Peterman could have gone maybe even as early as ( what )round ?

Taking one line from an interview where the Head Coach and GM row back minutes later and ignoring the hard evidence of their actions is definitely cultish.

There have been people banned and suspended from this forum for repeated criticism of Taylor this offseason and yet from where I am standing the cultish behaviour goes on unabated. It is just as harmful to genuine debate on the subject.

Taking one line from an interview where the Head Coach and GM row back minutes later and ignoring the hard evidence of their actions is definitely cultish.

There have been people banned and suspended from this forum for repeated criticism of Taylor this offseason and yet from where I am standing the cultish behaviour goes on unabated. It is just as harmful to genuine debate on the subject.

It's not just one line.

There's more to this story than just one line. You're grossly over exaggerating here.

Actions speak louder than words, huh?

Fine, all indications were that Taylor was out. Buffalo wanted to move on at the position and someone would inevitably be starting at QB because the Bills weren't happy with him at QB.

That's what was widely reported from multiple "credible" sources at the end of the year.

Then we get a new Head Coach. And this new Head Coach comes from a team that recently made the Super Bowl with a similar QB in terms of general skill sets (NOT talking about level of play). And this new Head Coach hires the most recent OC his prospective QB has worked with outside of Buffalo. And this new Head Coach had only had glowing remarks on this new QB, including high praise of what he saw on tape and in person. And this Coach, despite clearly having pretty clear control to go out and bring in his own Guy as everyone professes a new HC prefers, HE KEEPS TAYLOR! And...

you get the idea.

If you think I looked at a single quote and formed an entire opinion on it, you're wrong. It just lends further credence to it.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

I have no doubt McDermott thinks Tyrod is the best option NOW and bringing in an OC he knows (not McDermott's 1st choice it has to be said) is largely about setting Tyrod up to be comfortable and succeed. That is equally inarguable and I have never doubted that he will start this year or argued that Peterman is suddenly going to beat him out or any of that. Others might have. I haven't. Tyrod Taylor is the Bills starting Quarterback in 2017 and, barring a dramatic regression, going into 2018 too.

But you have to accept that if McDermott really believed he was the Quarterback of the future "the guy" who is going to lead us to Championships he would not have slashed his contract in half and cut his pay for the duration of that contract by $10m. That just doesn't make sense.

There are essentially the 3 scenarios I laid out. The actions of the Bills this offseason absolutely chime with a team that believes option A while keeping a residual hope that option B transpires.

I'm actually quite content with letting these posters live in their fantasy world where Tyrod Taylor is actually a good QB.

Reality shows you otherwise, and the facts are that he has major flaws that are highly unlikely to be fixed at this stage oof his career, so what's much more likely is he hovers around the 2015/2016 average and never progresses any further. You can make excuses and claim he needs these coaches and these players, but when you just don't possess the required skill set of a true passer, you will always be limited. And the injury excuse also holds no water. Do you believe all his weapons will stay healthy? It's almost a foregone conclusion that skill players will miss time with injuries...get used to it. Either you get it done or you don't, and Tyrod never has.

So, please....go right ahead and conjure up images and thoughts of Tyrod Taylor becoming something more than he's shown to be. Wishes are fun to make, but likely never fulfilled.

You wouldnt know reality if it walked up and dropped kicked you in the nuts

Well, Jones better bring it because Woods is a damn good #2 and not worthy of all the unjust criticism he receives here.

When healthy I also thought Woods was a fine number 2

Problem was....last 2 years he has not been healthy

When healthy I also thought Woods was a fine number 2

Problem was....last 2 years he has not been healthy

He was a good #2 for this team in a run first offense because he was a really good and willing blocker. As a #2 receiving option? He was below average.

I have no doubt McDermott thinks Tyrod is the best option NOW and bringing in an OC he knows (not McDermott's 1st choice it has to be said) is largely about setting Tyrod up to be comfortable and succeed. That is equally inarguable and I have never doubted that he will start this year or argued that Peterman is suddenly going to beat him out or any of that. Others might have. I haven't. Tyrod Taylor is the Bills starting Quarterback in 2017 and, barring a dramatic regression, going into 2018 too.

But you have to accept that if McDermott really believed he was the Quarterback of the future "the guy" who is going to lead us to Championships he would not have slashed his contract in half and cut his pay for the duration of that contract by $10m. That just doesn't make sense.

There are essentially the 3 scenarios I laid out. The actions of the Bills this offseason absolutely chime with a team that believes option A while keeping a residual hope that option B transpires.

Yep....exactly how I see it too. It makes the most logical sense. McD wanted Taylor over the likes of a Josh McCown and Brian Hoyer...basically his options if Taylor left. If you ask a player to take a cut as much as they asked Taylor, especially when he just signed the new contract just 8 months prior, you understand you run the risk of that guy of losing him. McD was willing to risk it.

Yep....exactly how I see it too. It makes the most logical sense. McD wanted Taylor over the likes of a Josh McCown and Brian Hoyer....

And Cutler and Kaepernick and RGIII and Fitzpatrick and over starting a rookie week 1. That to me is not in question. McDermott felt Tyrod was a better choice than all those alternatives. So if you want to limit "the future" to the next year then McDermott absolutely believes Tyrod is his guy of the future. To me the future means the guy that you think is good enough that you stop looking and start loading up around him to make a Superbowl run.

EDIT: And that is my 9,000 post on TBD. I hope you've all enjoyed them. :D

Edited by GunnerBill

It's not just one line.

There's more to this story than just one line. You're grossly over exaggerating here.

Actions speak louder than words, huh?

Fine, all indications were that Taylor was out. Buffalo wanted to move on at the position and someone would inevitably be starting at QB because the Bills weren't happy with him at QB.

That's what was widely reported from multiple "credible" sources at the end of the year.

Then we get a new Head Coach. And this new Head Coach comes from a team that recently made the Super Bowl with a similar QB in terms of general skill sets (NOT talking about level of play). And this new Head Coach hires the most recent OC his prospective QB has worked with outside of Buffalo. And this new Head Coach had only had glowing remarks on this new QB, including high praise of what he saw on tape and in person. And this Coach, despite clearly having pretty clear control to go out and bring in his own Guy as everyone professes a new HC prefers, HE KEEPS TAYLOR! And...

you get the idea.

If you think I looked at a single quote and formed an entire opinion on it, you're wrong. It just lends further credence to it.

He kept Taylor....only after negotiating a paycut.

McD wants TT to start this year. Beyond that, we'll see. Not too many QB's of the future are in the NFL on one year tryouts.

He was a good #2 for this team in a run first offense because he was a really good and willing blocker. As a #2 receiving option? He was below average.

Not sure where you are getting your info from...his numbers compare pretty favorably to many other high value #2 receivers over the past few years and he played in a run first offense that didn't throw a lot of passes...

Not sure where you are getting your info from...his numbers compare pretty favorably to many other high value #2 receivers over the past few years and he played in a run first offense that didn't throw a lot of passes...

Yea I suppose that is right. I just felt like his talents were below average (not that fast, good but not great hands, didn't get great separation) but it is a fair challenge matter - his production was right in that Sanu / Marvin Jones territory - hence he got paid as such.

... and the contract he just got confirms it.

ESPN put out their post-draft QB Confidence Index

LET'S SEE SOME MORE (Category includes Dak, Mariota, Winston, Tyrod, and Wentz)

22. Buffalo Bills

It's difficult to figure out how to write about Tyrod Taylor. Did you know that, among quarterbacks who've played at least 20 games the past two seasons, he ranks fourth in touchdown/interception ratio, seventh in Total QBR and 11th in yards per attempt and has the third-fewest interceptions? No, I'll bet you didn't know that.

Taylor is clearly a better player than a lot of people want to believe he is, yet he hasn't risen to the point where he inspires any level of confidence that he's a franchise guy. Add an all-new coaching staff and front office in Buffalo, and the team itself probably doesn't yet know how it's supposed to feel about its quarterback situation.

New general manager Brandon Beane wasn't exactly blowing kisses to Taylor in his introductory news conference, and though Taylor is surely the starter right now, it isn't difficult to imagine them trying out Cardale Jones, T.J. Yates or even fifth-round rookie Nathan Peterman if Taylor isn't doing what they want him to do.

Division context:

Pats #1 (Completely Confident)

Miami #24 (Watch Your Back)

Jets #32 (No Earthly Idea)

Edited by BuffaloHokie13