Tyrod will not be handed starting Job

MAJBobby

As I stated earlier, I think TT is penciled in as the starter. I think Beane was telling the truth that if the season started today, it would be Taylor.

I think that Taylor will clearly be the #1 in camp, he won't be splitting much reps with the other QB's. He will some but not anywhere close to an equal split.

If Taylor starts slipping or if Peterman just knocks it out of the park early on....then it'll be a "true" competition.

Basically its Taylor's job now but he can lose it.

This exactly. (again)

I don't know how many times we have to state this very thing.

• TT is penciled in as the starter @ QB
  • All positions will be a ("true") competition
  • If any other player shows that he's better than the incumbent, he'll get the starting nod.

With this coach I actually believe it.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you trolling or you genuinely don't get this?

I genuinely don't understand how you can think that McD truly believes he has the QB of the future on the roster, and also believe he will dump him after one year if hes not impressed. It sounds like a guy with mood swings.

I genuinely don't understand how you can think that McD truly believes he has the QB of the future on the roster, and also believe he will dump him after one year if hes not impressed. It sounds like a guy with mood swings.

Maybe McD isn't talking about TT. Maybe he sees Jones or Peterman the QB of the future.

Maybe McD isn't talking about TT. Maybe he sees Jones or Peterman the QB of the future.

thats a reach

I think it is just coach speak myself.....behind the scenes it is my opinion that they want to evaluate TT this year to see what he does working with Dennyson again

I do not believe that traded all the way down the end of the 1st round and picked up 2 firsts next year without some plan going forward on what they would do with them.

thats a reach

Could be, but maybe it's a play on words also. Like TT is the QB of the future but conveniently left out the "near".

It will play it's self out in a couple of months.

Edited by old school

thats a reach

I think it is just coach speak myself.....behind the scenes it is my opinion that they want to evaluate TT this year to see what he does working with Dennyson again

I do not believe that traded all the way down the end of the 1st round and picked up 2 firsts next year without some plan going forward on what they would do with them.

The future is next week. Ergo he's correct in saying so.

I mean - tomorrow is the future. He's not lying :lol:

missed by 30 seconds

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

The future is next week. Ergo he's corrent in saying so.

missed by 30 seconds

I mean - he's barely practiced with these guys. It's tough to get a real evaluation. We also don't even really have scouts yet - so who is the QB of the future supposed to be?

Do we flat out bury our guys and say - next year we'll get our QB? Seems like something Whaley would say - and get himself into trouble doing it (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13382343/buffalo-bills-almost-quarterback-purgatory-gm-doug-whaley-says).

I mean - he's barely practiced with these guys. It's tough to get a real evaluation. We also don't even really have scouts yet - so who is the QB of the future supposed to be?

Do we flat out bury our guys and say - next year we'll get our QB? Seems like something Whaley would say - and get himself into trouble doing it (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13382343/buffalo-bills-almost-quarterback-purgatory-gm-doug-whaley-says).

TT should get the #1 spot going into the season. It only makes sense that he's got the most experience in Buffalo.

Let's not forget the other guy drafter in 2011 - TJ Yates also has a history with Dennyson when in Houston.

The Texans selected North Carolina quarterback T.J. Yates in the 5th round of the 2011 NFL Draft. with then offensive coordinator Rick Dennison.

Now that's history.

We shall see what we have, with who we have @ QB, and if what we have isn't good enough, we try again in 2018

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

LOL...whatever.

I'm not the only who just saw this double standard you just applied. Others just in this thread have commented on it...more than just Crusher and I. It was as clear as day but you just can't admit it....you're too stubborn.

You're not in the middle, you never were or are. Just because you say you are, your actions speak something else. I'm not the only one who sees it....not by a long shot. Two different message boards have pointed this out.

Yeah... the same people on two different message boards have pointed it out.

You have a real funny way of twisting things.

You can believe what you want to believe regarding what I think. I don't care.

You're wrong on many of your assumptions about me.

But you seem to enjoy being an antagonist, and I'm a grown man and I can take it on a message board when it's not personal.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

TT should get the #1 spot going into the season. It only makes sense that he's got the most experience in Buffalo.

Let's not forget the other guy drafter in 2011 - TJ Yates also has a history with Dennyson when in Houston.

The Texans selected North Carolina quarterback T.J. Yates in the 5th round of the 2011 NFL Draft. with then offensive coordinator Rick Dennison.

Now that's history.

We shall see what we have, with who we have @ QB, and if what we have isn't good enough, we try again in 2018

Pretty much... I think the idea is... no one is just handed a starting job. You earn your playing time.

I don't worry about a Tyrod in this environment, i worry about the out of shape guys who got lazy in club rex.

He also didn't post the entire quote. Especially the part where McD said he didn't know if the QB of the future was on the roster.

Ummm... I did post the entire quote... maybe not in that post, but I did post it a few posts earlier.

And McDermott doesn't say at any point in that initial response if he didn't know if the QB of the future was on the roster. He said that after Beane's response, and I've already given my interpretation of it. And as disgusted as you and Teeflebees is with my interpretation, it's a reasonable, even probable interpretation.

You guys are too funny.

I'm sure he left that out by accident.

No accident... I provided the link and the quote already.

Keep twisting and twisting in the wind though...

I don't know why you let a poster on a message board get under your skin so much...

Looks like the only one dishing out personal insults here is you, my friend.

You are outing yourself more and more over the course of this thread.

And I, for one appreciate you doing so.

Can you direct me to a personal insult I made?

As I stated earlier, I think TT is penciled in as the starter. I think Beane was telling the truth that if the season started today, it would be Taylor.

I think that Taylor will clearly be the #1 in camp, he won't be splitting much reps with the other QB's. He will some but not anywhere close to an equal split.

If Taylor starts slipping or if Peterman just knocks it out of the park early on....then it'll be a "true" competition.

Basically its Taylor's job now but he can lose it.

It's funny because I agree with pretty much every single word you say here other than the use of the word "or", which I'd replace with "and", yet you know what I think...

Tell me more about what I think, please...

Oh... okay.

Pretty simple really, a lot can happen in one year, can't it?

Do you think when the Raiders drafted JaMarcuss Russell they drafted him thinking he wasn't going to be a great QB?

Why is it people think these things are mutually exclusive? McDermott spent almost 4 full months up until now evaluating tape on previous seasons from Taylor, meeting and knowing the person, and seeing his work ethic, and has formed an opinion it seems after those 4 months that Taylor is the franchise's answer at QB for the future, his words, not mine.

BUT

That doesn't mean that Taylor's play on the field in 2017 isn't the most important evaluation tool for McDermott on Taylor's longterm prospects at the position in Buffalo. So if Taylor plays poorly, of course McDermott moves on. And he was smart in hedging his bets by keeping Taylor while also getting an extra 1st round draft pick next year. So if Taylor is the answer, the Bills use those 2 1sts to build around Taylor. If he's not, those 2 1sts are there to help draft the QB of the future.

Does that make sense?

Except his exact words when asked if the Quarterback of the future is on the roster in Buffalo right now, McDermott's exact and immediate words were:

"He is, in Tyrod Taylor."

Could be, but maybe it's a play on words also. Like TT is the QB of the future but conveniently left out the "near".

It will play it's self out in a couple of months.

And I'm the one who's blinded by bias...? :wallbash:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Why is it people think these things are mutually exclusive? McDermott spent almost 4 full months up until now evaluating tape on previous seasons from Taylor, meeting and knowing the person, and seeing his work ethic, and has formed an opinion it seems after those 4 months that Taylor is the franchise's answer at QB for the future, his words, not mine.

BUT

That doesn't mean that Taylor's play on the field in 2017 isn't the most important evaluation tool for McDermott on Taylor's longterm prospects at the position in Buffalo. So if Taylor plays poorly, of course McDermott moves on. And he was smart in hedging his bets by keeping Taylor while also getting an extra 1st round draft pick next year. So if Taylor is the answer, the Bills use those 2 1sts to build around Taylor. If he's not, those 2 1sts are there to help draft the QB of the future.

Does that make sense?

Not particularly.

If Taylor's play on the field in 2017 is the single most important evaluation tool, why is he making a declaration before having said evaluation tool?

He has 2 years of tape on Taylor and decided based on those years that Taylor was a franchise guy, why would 2017 be the most important? If 2 years of "good tape" said TT was the answer, would it really be justifiable to pull the plug after 1 year of "bad tape?"

It just doesn't jive. Derek Carr ain't getting canned after next season with a down year. Can you name a single "QB of the future" who will be let go by the team after one down year in the NFL?

Edited by jmc12290

Pretty much... I think the idea is... no one is just handed a starting job. You earn your playing time.

I don't worry about a Tyrod in this environment, i worry about the out of shape guys who got lazy in club rex.

Agree totally. Let's hope the guys get the message that showing up OOS is a big no no.

...he hardly should be the incumbent.....passing game is NOT a threatening dimension to opposition (uh oh, Kirby is coming).....run or done is principally "IT" or pray his wheels make something happen....he has yet to demonstrate mastery of reading/processing the entire field in time allotted to find open receivers (be it WR's or TE's).....I'd bet the film rats could find numerous examples where guys pulled up short knowing they would not see the ball nor would be find them....recipe for success??...........

...he hardly should be the incumbent.....passing game is NOT a threatening dimension to opposition (uh oh, Kirby is coming).....run or done is principally "IT" or pray his wheels make something happen....he has yet to demonstrate mastery of reading/processing the entire field in time allotted to find open receivers (be it WR's or TE's).....I'd bet the film rats could find numerous examples where guys pulled up short knowing they would not see the ball nor would be find them....recipe for success??...........

But then there's this :

Tyrod's stats in the 15 games with Watkins *and* Woods

63.6% comp. 8.25 YPA. 27 TD passes. 6 INTs

Edited by grb

But then there's this :

.....after 55 years, I'm not a big stat guy as the SOLE equation because they are highly manipulative and "open to interpretation".....if either or are out, now what, depending on the passing dimension is out the window?...run or done?.....how effective was this club without Shady, a/a/a a one stallion stable?......would be interesting to see TT's passing stats when the game was on the line or at least reasonably close versus "padding" when it was out of reach.....NINE examples to review......he STILL has not demonstrated mastery of reading the entire field.....that is my observation or opinion, whether right, wrong or indifferent......and I certainly respect those whose opinion is the opposite....

But then there's this :

That stat line is missing one very important number. Yards per game passing. Sure Tyrod's TD to Interception rate is good. (Because he has been afraid to throw in a lot of situations unless his receiver is wide open) But his yards/game has been anemic most of the time. Can someone find that number when Watkins and Woods are both playing? I still don't think it was nearly good enuf.

That stat line is missing one very important number. Yards per game passing. Sure Tyrod's TD to Interception rate is good. (Because he has been afraid to throw in a lot of situations unless his receiver is wide open) But his yards/game has been anemic most of the time. Can someone find that number when Watkins and Woods are both playing? I still don't think it was nearly good enuf.

~229 YPG (good for 24th in 2016) on ~28 Attempts per Game (also good for 24th in 2016, surprise surprise)