RD 2, Pick 37: Zay Jones (WR) - ECU

Because their careers aren't forever, and getting an education is vastly more important. Especially considering a majority of them are there on a full ride.

You hear all these stories about players going broke once they are out of the league.

Wonder why....

It doesn't matter much for the Khalil Mack's of the world. The vast majority of these "student athletes" will never get a whiff of the NFL. They are the ones who need to focus more on their education. A guy like Mack has already made enough to last a lifetime and will likely get a lot more. Players go broke because they spend too much money. Not because they didn't give a crap about Spanish class.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen plenty video of him finding the soft spot in the zone, and consistently making catches even with defenders closing in.

I agree Taylor lacks anticipation while throwing but I think Jones actually game helps Taylor. You can throw to him in traffic, underneath, over the middle and he makes plays even if he's not wide open, beating out defenders with better instincts and quick, reliable hands.

I see him being a 1st down machine

I agree with what you say about him catching in traffic even when not open etc all that.

But you once again ignore the main thing I said which is Tyrod is scared to throw the stuff you just said Jones is good at. So unless Tyrod does a complete 180 on what he did the last couple of years I don't see him or any of our WR's being 1st down machines.

It doesn't matter much for the Khalil Mack's of the world. The vast majority of these "student athletes" will never get a whiff of the NFL. They are the ones who need to focus more on their education. A guy like Mack has already made enough to last a lifetime and will likely get a lot more. Players go broke because they spend too much money. Not because they didn't give a crap about Spanish class.

No, players go broke because they don't educate them selves.

There have been plenty of "Macks" to come and go in the league and still end up broke. Not just because of a Spanish course, but because they aren't fiscally responsible during or after their careers.

What's the shelf life of a football player? Even the ones that remain healthy don't last all that long. That's why they have classes for the rookies about money mangement and what not. Evidence sights that a lot of these guys aren't prepared for a second career after football.

Now, I could have easily ended this by pointing out the staggering percentage of players that go broke after the sport... three or four years ago Forbes had sports illustrated stating that an estimated 80% of players go broke....

Edited by BillsFan17

Players and their financial ignorance is worth it's own thread. REALLY. I'm sure it has been a topic in the past, but I can't remember a specific thread. It's crazy how these guys can be so stupid or be taken advantage of so easily. But hey, Mike Tyson will make you chuckle in some cameo bits about his friggin' lions!

Zay is an absolutely dominate player. Played slot, but had his best statistical season on the outside. They still put him in the slot and honestly, if Dennison can find ways to move him around, the match ups will be headaches for opposing coaches.

I am not a big Holmes fan as some others, but just thinking of what the redzone packages could look like, def like what I am seeing.

Reasons to be optimistic for sure. A lot also hinges on how our sophomores perform this year. I really really hope Lawson and Ragland are, at a minimum, above average. In which case, we should have a great transition year.

Seymour, Washington, JWilliams. Also important sophs we need to represent this year.

@christrapasso

One thing that undeniably stands out about Zay Jones: he routinely makes grabs away from his body. Natural / smooth hands-catcher.

He also attacks the target - watch how he runs his routes, he goes back towards the ball to create space, and then catches with his hands.

@christrapasso

One thing that undeniably stands out about Zay Jones: he routinely makes grabs away from his body. Natural / smooth hands-catcher.

He might be great on the outside, but he should dominate in the slot. He's a first down machine.I hope we re-sign Sammy,and thats a fine core for 5 more years. He catches everything,and was cheaper than my favorite player in Woods. Good,solid pick.

As a side note...maybe McD didnt lie when he said he thought the #2 was on the roster. Seems like the slot would be #3 in terms of lineups/formations. Sammy,Holmes outside. Zay in the slot. With Clay/O'Leary/(Barnidge hopefully), McCoy & J Will,upgraded RT,and We're off! Very impressed our first year HC/GM/Tsar, defensive minded mind you, recognized the value and went Offense 2nd & 3rd rounds.

Edited by BuffAlone

@christrapasso

How far away from his body? If it's about 8 feet we could bring EJ back!

No, players go broke because they don't educate them selves.

There have been plenty of "Macks" to come and go in the league and still end up broke. Not just because of a Spanish course, but because they aren't fiscally responsible during or after their careers.

What's the shelf life of a football player? Even the ones that remain healthy don't last all that long. That's why they have classes for the rookies about money mangement and what not. Evidence sights that a lot of these guys aren't prepared for a second career after football.

Now, I could have easily ended this by pointing out the staggering percentage of players that go broke after the sport... three or four years ago Forbes had sports illustrated stating that an estimated 80% of players go broke....

The point remains that they don't go broke because they didn't finish a degree, or cared too little in class. That's like saying someone who just won 10 million in a lottery needs to go to college. They go broke by spending too much money. They can get what they need from spending a little time with an advisor or even an online course or a course at a community college. The vast majority that will never play pro ball would be wise to focus on their education, the Khalil Mack's don't need it. If they and others like them don't spend too much of their money, it's virtually guaranteed they will not go broke.