Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

We're talking about being one year out. Mahomes' biggest advocates were probably me and Bandit. He barely registered on many radars as a top prospect. As far into this process as March, we still had a ton of people within the media talking down this class until they realised that there were a few guys that were going way earlier than they thought.

I've watched enough of Darnold to understand the talent he has but that he's both inexperienced and has a lot to work on. The hype for guys like Allen is the thing that I find unfathomable, the 1st round hype for guys like Davis Webb or Mitch Leidner is another part of it. Christian Hackenberg as well (literally the next Luck because he was tall, white and pro-style). I'm supposed to see Allen hyped up as a potential #1 pick while Lamar Jackson is getting the "is he really a QB" treatment? Let's not forget that Marcus Mariota & Teddy Bridgewater were also picked apart in ways that others aren't subject to.

I don't expect this to be welcomed or popular but I've seen this song and dance a few times now. I'm not falling for it again.

Let's not forget this nugget from Greg Cossell, the king of the tall, white guys.

NFL Films' Greg Cosell: I'd take Zach Mettenberger over Jameis Winston

http://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/13478/greg-cosell-of-nfl-films-id-take-zach-mettenbrger-over-jamies-winston

Blokes, I usually enjoy your posts. But this is nuts. Tons of evaluators had Watson or Mahomes at the top of their lists. Throw in Trubisky and you have the core of what seemed like endless battling threads around here. As to the enthusiasm for Darnold, if his talent isn't obvious to you, then there's nothing to be said other than go watch him play.

I feel your implication that racism is the reason why Darnold excites evaluators more than a Watson does is way over the line.

Agreed, it's clear blokes hates white players.

I've done initial work-ups on Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Browning, Rudolph, Falk, Thorson, Fitzgerald, Speight, Stanton, and Francois thus far

If I have to give a top grade, right now it goes to Mayfield, but I've identified 7-8 that I want to watch closely.

I've done initial work-ups on Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Browning, Rudolph, Falk, Thorson, Fitzgerald, Speight, Stanton, and Francois thus far

If I have to give a top grade, right now it goes to Mayfield, but I've identified 7-8 that I want to watch closely.

What about the off field non sense that comes with Mayfield?

What about the off field non sense that comes with Mayfield?

It's definitely something to monitor, however (after reading the story), I think you can probably file that under "kid got drunk and acted like a drunk kid" for now...

Now, if it turns out, over time, to be part of a larger pattern of behavior, then yeah, I'd steer clear.

It's definitely something to monitor, however (after reading the story), I think you can probably file that under "kid got drunk and acted like a drunk kid" for now...

Now, if it turns out, over time, to be part of a larger pattern of behavior, then yeah, I'd steer clear.

I mean, I absolutely loved Mayfield, but then I saw that arrest and thought to my self, are we dealing with a Manziel or a kid making one time mistake?

Let's say for arguments sake it is truly an isolated incident, do you think, despite being 6'1" that he'll be in the conversation for top QB taken?

I mean, I absolutely loved Mayfield, but then I saw that arrest and thought to my self, are we dealing with a Manziel or a kid making one time mistake?

Let's say for arguments sake it is truly an isolated incident, do you think, despite being 6'1" that he'll be in the conversation for top QB taken?

FWIW, he knocked his written apology out of the park:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/2/28/14769044/baker-mayfield-arrest-apology-oklahoma-sooners

Turning to his physical stature, I'm not sure. I think he'll be in the conversation based on skill (I've thought very highly of him since his TTU days), but his size will affect it for sure. It could end up a Trubisky situation in that regard--where Mitchell silenced any concerns by measuring in at 6'2" at the combine.

Either way, if Baker goes out and continues to show poise, accuracy, and decision-making, I think he'll be fine as long as he crests 6'0".

Let's say for arguments sake it is truly an isolated incident, do you think, despite being 6'1" that he'll be in the conversation for top QB taken?[/wrote]

Not seeing it with Mayfield, people get enamored with all the stats of theses spread QBs and then it doesn't translate to the NFL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.