Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

his little brother Dylan is a freshman QB at UM

Wow, Michigan is getting a lot of QB prospects.

Yes, the amount of QB prospects going to Michigan is ridiculous. There's another big QB recruit they are trying to land in 2018.

There is no way all of these QB's will get a chance to play there. Lots of transfers will have to occur.

My advice would be to not follow Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Greg Cossell, or any of the standard talking heads. You want to find someone with great NFL traits who also played well and was productive in college. If guys aren't getting it done in college, they don't usually get it at the next level. You also don't draft a guy who played well in college if he is lacking the tools to go up a level.

The best bet for finding a top QB would be to have a John Gruden, Andy Reid, Kyle Shanahan, or Jim Bob Cooter on your staff. Since the Bills don't I would pay John Gruden 1 million dollars to watch the tape he watches anyway and to give me his QB notes off the record.

Well, despite the continual ribbing you get from some posters, I think your insight on qbs is good. I surmise you make a distinction between John Gruden on ESPN and off-camera? He seems to like pretty much everyone on his show.

Yes, the amount of QB prospects going to Michigan is ridiculous. There's another big QB recruit they are trying to land in 2018.

There is no way all of these QB's will get a chance to play there. Lots of transfers will have to occur.

transfers are inevitable. It's like buying a ticket to fly United when you commit to play at these huge programs.

Well, despite the continual ribbing you get from some posters, I think your insight on qbs is good. I surmise you make a distinction between John Gruden on ESPN and off-camera? He seems to like pretty much everyone on his show.

Yeah, on the show he has to fluff everyone. But the dude is a QB genius in real life. I really think I would pay him as a QB draft consultant. Bills have no one like him scouting or on staff that I am aware of.

SoTier,

Sound description of the situation, but it leaves me wondering if there is any prescriptive advice hidden in the description. Or is it mainly a matter of chance?

My view is that we likely do not have a franchise qb on the roster. I expect us to draft a qb early unless someone we have now unexpectedly emerges as a franchise qb.

I surmise there must be some rational basis for determining which highly rated qbs in 2018 are more likely to achieve NFL success.

I don't know that there's any "prescription" for finding a good/great QB. Even in truly great QB crops, teams missed, and in mediocre years, teams hit. My thought is that maybe teams should look more at the individual's "intangibles" like leadership and attitude rather than just arm and size, but that's obviously not enough. If I had any real answers, I wouldn't be posting here. I'd be sharing my expertise with the Bills! :D

Yeah, on the show he has to fluff everyone. But the dude is a QB genius in real life. I really think I would pay him as a QB draft consultant. Bills have no one like him scouting or on staff that I am aware of.

I like Gruden as an evaluator but he makes $6.5M a year from ESPN. I'd bet anything that contract precludes him from working with any teams.

I wonder if you could do that or if it would conflict with his ESPN contract.

I like Gruden as an evaluator but he makes $6.5M a year from ESPN. I'd bet anything that contract precludes him from working with any teams.

Ah, I posted before reading your comment.

I don't know that there's any "prescription" for finding a good/great QB. Even in truly great QB crops, teams missed, and in mediocre years, teams hit. My thought is that maybe teams should look more at the individual's "intangibles" like leadership and attitude rather than just arm and size, but that's obviously not enough. If I had any real answers, I wouldn't be posting here. I'd be sharing my expertise with the Bills! :D

Okay, so I'm down to the old eight ball or John Gruden. Appreciate your thoughts.

I wonder if you could do that or if it would conflict with his ESPN contract.

Ah, I posted before reading your comment.

Okay, so I'm down to the old eight ball or John Gruden. Appreciate your thoughts.

Concept is the same. I wanted to hire Kyle Shanahan or Jim Bob Cooter when Bills were doing coaching search because of the QB guru stuff. When you get get your hands on one it makes the odds of finding your next QB much nicer.

Since we don't have one on staff, Bills need to hire a QB Czar. Find the best QB scout on the market. Let them prove it with last 5 draft boards on QB's. Then let them get to work. Pay them $$$. It's the most important position on the field and Pegula could use his money to really get things going.

I wonder how many scouts will be attendance here on Sept. 9 to watch Mayfield vs Ohio state. His draft stock will move up or down considerably with that showing given how he played last year in that game. He wasn't awful but he wasn't good either.

there is another mccaffrey as well who is a QB. Luke. 2019 recruit. Buckeyes have offered. I won't rest until there is a mccaffrey at every major college program.

Yep. If Mayfield wants to make a real impression to the pro scouts, he will have to shine against Ohio State.

Last years game he was so-so, and that was in Norman. Far more pressure with the game being in Columbus this year.

Love your McCaffrey comment. Are the McCaffrey's going to be the new "First Family" of the NFL?

Concept is the same. I wanted to hire Kyle Shanahan or Jim Bob Cooter when Bills were doing coaching search because of the QB guru stuff. When you get get your hands on one it makes the odds of finding your next QB much nicer.

Since we don't have one on staff, Bills need to hire a QB Czar. Find the best QB scout on the market. Let them prove it with last 5 draft boards on QB's. Then let them get to work. Pay them $$$. It's the most important position on the field and Pegula could use his money to really get things going.

Any chance any of these qb gurus who work with players are good scouts? If anybody were really this good, you'd think they already would be on someone's staff -- unless the position is just inherently very hard to predict.

Any chance any of these qb gurus who work with players are good scouts? If anybody were really this good, you'd think they already would be on someone's staff -- unless the position is just inherently very hard to predict.

They are on staff but many of them were OC's this year. The other route is to conduct a search for the top QB scout. Maybe there is a guy in Oakland who had Carr #1 on his QB board.

It's worth looking for someone with QB expertise because I don't trust anyone in the Bills to have that QB scouting acumen.

They are on staff but many of them were OC's this year. The other route is to conduct a search for the top QB scout. Maybe there is a guy in Oakland who had Carr #1 on his QB board.

It's worth looking for someone with QB expertise because I don't trust anyone in the Bills to have that QB scouting acumen.

I hope the process includes some innovative thinking along these lines. Supposedly we are revamping the scouting department from scratch, so there ought to be consideration for a qb expert.

Edited by Dr. Who

I hope the process includes some innovative thinking along these lines. Supposedly we are revamping the scouting department from scratch, so there ought to be consideration for a qb expert.

Bills are looking for scouts as we speak. Why not get the best QB scout in the NFL and give him a cool title and triple his salary?

No, it's not. It's about scouting the prospects and drafting a very good QB prospect if they are available. If Raiders pass on Carr how does it help them that 2015 is better?

If you want a Jameis Winston you need to finish last.

No Kansas City needs to finish last.

Haven't really broken down any of these QBs for 2018 yet, but I have to wonder why Baker Mayfield doesn't get that much love. All the guy does is produce at an extraordinary level. Is it because he is only 6'1"? Something with arm strength? He puts up huge numbers ever year, gets better every year, and has great mobility too.

Spread offense

Thats fair to include Jimmy G and I agree on Teddy with the injury. We cannot count either of those as hits or misses at this point. Carr is a hit, Manziel is a miss and I'd say Bortles is a miss, 1 out of 3.

If 2018 does have 4 guys that are higher rated than Trubisky (which isn't crazy to think), in all likelihood, you will have a shot at 10 at one of them. If not, you will definitely be able to get one at 5 (as an example). You can use your other 1st to get to there.

Just wasting your time Kirby.

I wonder how many scouts will be attendance here on Sept. 9 to watch Mayfield vs Ohio state. His draft stock will move up or down considerably with that showing given how he played last year in that game. He wasn't awful but he wasn't good either.there is another mccaffrey as well who is a QB. Luke. 2019 recruit. Buckeyes have offered. I won't rest until there is a mccaffrey at every major college program.

That would be cool to see the brothers face off against each other with one being at Michigan and the other being at Ohio St.

My advice would be to not follow Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Greg Cossell, or any of the standard talking heads. You want to find someone with great NFL traits who also played well and was productive in college. If guys aren't getting it done in college, they don't usually get it at the next level. You also don't draft a guy who played well in college if he is lacking the tools to go up a level.

The best bet for finding a top QB would be to have a John Gruden, Andy Reid, Kyle Shanahan, or Jim Bob Cooter on your staff. Since the Bills don't I would pay John Gruden 1 million dollars to watch the tape he watches anyway and to give me his QB notes off the record.

Gruden loves every QB

The new QB U.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

UCLA QB Josh Rosen is a pure passer. Beautiful motion, full field vision and plenty of arm… https://www.instagram.com/p/BUIMst_l1DB/

Yes, he has incredible arm talent. When he got on campus it was very apparent.

And if you aren't sure, ask him. He even gave himself a nickname, The Rosen One.

The Rosen One @JChosen3

UCLA's Golden Boy. The Rosen One. J-Chosen.

https://twitter.com/JChosen3/status/657343496198729728

Edited by jeffismagic

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.