RD 1, Pick 27: Tre'Davious White (CB) - LSU

SDS

He will probably be a day 1 starter for us. I have no problem with the player.

I just honestly think that the Bills aren't good at the business of football, not bad at evaluating players. For example, Mike Lombardi was on with Rich Eisen and explained that Cornerback contracts in FA have declined, when inflation is considered, over the past years. Here is the interview: https://youtu.be/rZ_UYlh3RMk?t=1141

My thought is that some positions, including CB are the ones that you can target in FA like NE has. Then spend your rookie contracts on the overpriced positions like QB, DL, OT. JMO, but I am hopeful that T.White becomes our Chris Harris Jr.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so should we just not play with good CBs. Since they are too expensive to keep after 5 years? Don't draft them high or resign them!

Good DB's can be found in the lower rounds. McGee was a fourth rounder and one of the best kick returners in franchise history, Greer was an UDFA, Cockrell was a fourth rounder and should have been kept on the team. DB's have about the same shelf life as a RB before they lose their speed or get too banged up.

Really smart pick for a good football player. The only thing I don't like is that this board will be intolerable for the immediate future because he's not a QB. Nevermind we picked up a 1st and 3rd and still got one of the top corners.

And get ready to see something you did not see in Buffalo last year: a DB who plays the ball in the air and willingly tackles.

Not sure how you specify 2017. They've been treading water forever.

There's a high school CB out there right now who the Bills will draft in the first round in 5 years after White bolts via FA.

Don't dislike the player, it's just the same thing the Bills have done since....forever. Even if he pans out like Gilmore, or Clements, or Winfield it might not end up helping them long term.

The only first round CB they kept after his rookie contract was the worst of the bunch, Leodis.

Truth.

Good DB's can be found in the lower rounds. McGee was a fourth rounder and one of the best kick returners in franchise history, Greer was an UDFA, Cockrell was a fourth rounder and should have been kept on the team. DB's have about the same shelf life as a RB before they lose their speed or get too banged up.

You can do that with any position. Plus, you use 4-5 CBs a lot throughout the season, its important to have some really good ones. You need to do both, hence why we sill another CB drafted.

I just honestly think that the Bills aren't good at the business of football, not bad at evaluating players. For example, Mike Lombardi was on with Rich Eisen and explained that Cornerback contracts in FA have declined, when inflation is considered, over the past years. Here is the interview:

My thought is that some positions, including CB are the ones that you can target in FA like NE has. Then spend your rookie contracts on the overpriced positions like QB, DL, OT. JMO, but I am hopeful that T.White becomes our Chris Harris Jr.

I'm hopeful as well, but let's face it...This could not have possibly been Whaley's master plan all along. It's just sad that, like you said there's nothing positive about our business side of things.

Even if this kid turns out great, have we learned nothing about how little value a 1st rd DB can add to a mediocre football team? We should be experts at this.

I feel like there's a lot of hypocrisy with the Gilmore angle. A lot of people were calling for his head early last season. Why exactly can't this guy be an upgrade? A potential upgrade in addition to a ton of money saved and extra picks?

As soon as New England took him a lot of people changed their tune. Many Bills fans have an inferiority complex and they project it by whining without any clue how things will turn out. As if teams don't draft to replace players they lose in free agency all the freaking time.

Not only that, but we're the kings of taking DBs and RBs in the first. How's that gameplan working out?

I just honestly think that the Bills aren't good at the business of football, not bad at evaluating players. For example, Mike Lombardi was on with Rich Eisen and explained that Cornerback contracts in FA have declined, when inflation is considered, over the past years. Here is the interview:

Lombardi's analysis is not looking at the right numbers. The relevant factor isn't increase or inflation in contracts over time. It is current price of FA CB vs price of a rookie CB. It's not even close how much the Bills are going to save in plugging and playing 27th pick White on a rookie deal over paying FA Gilmore.