Bills decline to match Gillislee offer sheet

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's the bottom line tbh.

I would've given him the 2nd round tender, to prevent other teams from going fishing with bids. If there was serious interest from elsewhere, then he could always have signed the tender and been traded for a lesser pick than the second, which would still be better than the 5th we will get from the Patsies.

While I would've preferred he was retained (not on the terms the Patsies have got him for), at the end of the day, we got him for nothing, got production out of him, and now he's gone, we are getting a 5th round pick for him. In a profit and loss column, it's pretty much all profit.

Or, maybe, they thought about it and said:

"We have a guy we are really high on coming off into his second year and another year removed from injury who we think is ready to step up to the backup role, so we would love to get something for MG"

or

"If McCoy goes down for any amount of time, we are totally screwed so we might as well try and get a pick for our backup RB"

or

"Our approach to RBs has been terrible and out of date for the last 10 years, so let's change course and put our resources into more important areas of the team. First step, not overpaying for a backup."

I guess all the armchair capoligists will be happy. What good is having the money available if they don't spend it.

Rollover.

Sorry if you think the Bills were going to do anything this year. And Mike Gillislee wasn't going to be the missing piece

The Bills spent a 5th round pick on a RB last year. He was highly thought of before injury cost him his senior year. He had not played in over a year before joining the Bills last year and he found himself at the bottom of the depth chart behind MG and Rex's pet project. People are underestimating him because he did not show much in very limited time last year. Let's see what we have. There is no urgent need here. If Williams does not show enough during offseason work and training camp there will be options, potentially other discarded diamonds in the rough like MG available. In any case, despite his stats and the outpouring of fan angst, MG is replaceable.

is it underestimating if the player performed poorly? Or is it accurately estimating his ability?

Apparently NE didn't want to wait for that 'diamond in the rough' to be available after being discarded. But what do they know about talent evaluation?

Rollover.

Sorry if you think the Bills were going to do anything this year. And Mike Gillislee wasn't going to be the missing piece

This too. I know analytics loved him. but 24 carries for 28 yards in the finale.. Will his 500 yards be replaced by what 425 yards from the replacements who don't cost what he's making? Probably.

We kept our starting qb, and let our backup running back leave on a bad contract.

Yes, just like we brought back Fitzpatrick many times. He was our starter for years and we found him as a the backup from the Bengals. This time the Bills found a backup from the Ravens so we moved up a bit.

How does that get you more picks?

:doh:

I feel like Melissa McCarthy about to do one of her Spicer sketches.

I want us to have more picks so we have more options in the draft. This gets us that.

One of the potential things we might do in the draft is, if we see a player in the 4th that we like but are sure that he won't be there in the 5th, we can use a bundle of 5th round picks to get him. Whaley mentioned in previous years that there were players that we were interested in during the mid rounds but couldn't find a partner to trade up.

Using the (outdated and not perfect) draft pick point chart, the two 5ths we got for peddling Cassel and for tagging Gilly translate to a late 4th. One of those with our 11th is a mid to early. All three give us a high 4th or late 3rd.

Does that make sense?

Rollover.

Great we roll it over and people will still B word about cap space.

If McCoy gets hurt, I would say there's a good chance MG will be the missing piece for sure. Who is our backup now?

Lol. That does not sound like common sense to me. Sadly, he may end up with more division titles, but not all-purpose yards.

Right. If someone told you a few years ago Jamal Charles

would be a FA into May you would have laughed. Speed backs go down hill quick, MG has much more shelf life. Shady has already gone from 300 to 200 carries.

We'll see if this was the smart move soon.

How good is the player we draft with the Pats 5th Round Pick? What kind of production will we get out of our backup RBs? What happens if McCoy goes down with an injury?

If McCoy goes down with an injury, do the Bills ride MG to the playoffs under that contract? I'd say no. They probably don't make the playoffs with a healthy McCoy , so why overpay a backup RB? MG produced for the Bills as a very cheap player with minimal investment by the team. He leaves for more $$, find another guy to fill the role. Such is the NFL salary structure and FA system ..

Great we roll it over and people will still B word about cap space.

If McCoy gets hurt, I would say there's a good chance MG will be the missing piece for sure. Who is our backup now?

No its not. This team is going to be bad, it always was going to be bad.

Backup RB who cares. I am more worried about a RB playing QB

Nice. Get that 5th round. NE keeps over paying for Bills players.

It's really a 6th round pick. 5 rounds at 32 teams = 160 picks, we got #163. Great job Doug.

We now have another big hole and need a quality RB. We took the one group on this team that was a position of strength and shat on it. Whaley is so over his head.

There are more holes on this team than I care to think about. The legion of slugs we signed in the off-season is obscene.

• Starting WR
  • Slot WR
  • Back-up WR
  • Back-up TE
  • Starting RT
  • Back-up OT
  • Back up DE
  • Back up DT
  • Starting OLB
  • Back-up LB
  • Starting Safety
  • Back up Safety