Sal M: no QB in first.

JM2009

I think most people are on that boat we need to continue drafting QBs until we hit one but it's where people actually want a QB drafted is where lies the difference.

I have one question for you, do you think the defense was good enough last year?

No. But Oakland had a worse defense and won 12 games with Derek Carr at QB. It helps to have a guy that can throw when you need to throw in close games.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most people are on that boat we need to continue drafting QBs until we hit one but it's where people actually want a QB drafted is where lies the difference.

I have one question for you, do you think the defense was good enough last year?

Do you think going defense at 10 is the difference between having a good defense vs a bad defense?

I think the vast majority of us agree if there's one position we need to upgrade to go from where we are now to a perennial playoff team, it's the QB position.

EJ Manuel is not in the same world as Mahomes as a prospect.

The idea that the Bills should stop drafting QB's is a loser mentality that fits a losing franchise.

I really like Mahomes but there are definitely similarities. Mahomes has all the physical tools as did EJ. They both weren't ready to start right away. In a perfect world, Mahomes redshirts and we have him work with quality coaches and not the Syracuse OC.

I really like Mahomes but there are definitely similarities. Mahomes has all the physical tools as did EJ. They both weren't ready to start right away. In a perfect world, Mahomes redshirts and we have him work with quality coaches and not the Syracuse OC.

Mahomes compares to Derek Carr coming out of college.

Do you think going defense at 10 is the difference between having a good defense vs a bad defense?

I think the vast majority of us agree if there's one position we need to upgrade to go from where we are now to a perennial playoff team, it's the QB position.

If we perform on offense the way we did last season, top 10 in scoring and first in rushing (second season in a row)

Yes, I believe getting a Rueben Foster at 10 would change the overall defense, I mean they're comparing him to Luke Kuechly. When he went down that defense in Carolina didn't perform close to the level they were when he was in there.

I'm not against taking a QB in the draft, just not at 10.

I agree, fix the defense, why pick someone at 10 that'll ride the bench for a year or 2,, at 10 you can get a starter on defense that can contribute right away

Because we keep doing this **** over and over. There is no guarantee we will be in the top 3 to grab a top QB next year. Then when we are sitting anywhere from 10th -15th or so (if we have a bad year) fans will B word and whine about the cost to move up and get a QB IF someone is willing to trade.

Then it will be "wait until next year" not only because of the costs, but because some experts will sour on the QB's currently highly touted.

Cut the BS, if there is a guy who you can think can run your franchise LONG TERM, take him at #10

If we perform on offense the way we did last season, top 10 in scoring and first in rushing (second season in a row)

Yes, I believe getting a Rueben Foster at 10 would change the overall defense, I mean they're comparing him to Luke Kuechly. When he went down that defense in Carolina didn't perform close to the level they were when he was in there.

I'm not against taking a QB in the draft, just not at 10.

Foster might very well slip into round 2, just like Ragland did.

When is the last time an NFL team drafted a mid round project, sat him and "groomed" him for multiple years and then he turned out to be a viable NFL starter? People act like this happens all the time. And I'm not high on Cardale Jones myself but as others have pointed out, isn't this exactly what we already did last year? If he was a so-called "project" then why would we have already given up on him? At the end of the day, gotta trust your scouting. And Whaley has been a pretty decent drafter.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Foster might very well slip into round 2, just like Ragland did.

Might, I'm not keen on that term. If Foster is at 10, you take him. He's considered the 2nd best prospect in the entire draft behind Myles. I think the Dolphins were happy with all the teams that allowed Tunsil slip all the way to them seeing as he the number one prospect in the entire draft.

And by the way, if we take another mid round QB, suddenly we're the NY Jets. Buncha mediocre QB prospects who will never get enough reps to see their development through anyway cause there's too many of em on the roster. Take one if you love one but if you honestly think there isn't one worthy, do NOT take one for the sake of taking one. It's really not that complicated.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Because we keep doing this **** over and over. There is no guarantee we will be in the top 3 to grab a top QB next year. Then when we are sitting anywhere from 10th -15th or so (if we have a bad year) fans will B word and whine about the cost to move up and get a QB IF someone is willing to trade.

Then it will be "wait until next year" not only because of the costs, but because some experts will sour on the QB's currently highly touted.

Cut the BS, if there is a guy who you can think can run your franchise LONG TERM, take him at #10

every pundit and draft expert agree that none of these QBs are worth a top 10 pick, so why reach when you can get a QB later in the draft? Draft someone that can help right away

every pundit and draft expert agree that none of these QBs are worth a top 10 pick, so why reach when you can get a QB later in the draft? Draft someone that can help right away

No, that is not the case at all. The most important draft people are the actual NFL teams making the picks, not the talking heads who try to decipher their boards.

And by the way, if we take another mid round QB, suddenly we're the NY Jets. Buncha mediocre QB prospects who will never get enough reps to see their development through anyway cause there's too many of em on the roster. Take one if you love one but if you honestly think there isn't one worthy, do NOT take one for the sake of taking one. It's really not that complicated.

I agree. This is why the "draft a QB every year" refrain is nonsense.

yeah but see we are actually not the jets

The jets dont have anyone that can start right NOW.....while the bills have a incombant starter who is on a doable deal for the next 2 years

Tyrod Taylor is better then anything the jets have......

yeah but see we are actually not the jets

The jets dont have anyone that can start right NOW.....while the bills have a incombant starter who is on a doable deal for the next 2 years

Tyrod Taylor is better then anything the jets have......

You think paying Tyrod Taylor 18 million a year is reasonable? 18 million to lead a bottom 3 passing attack. No thanks.

No, that is not the case at all. The most important draft people are the actual NFL teams making the picks, not the talking heads who try to decipher their boards.

Bill Polian and Charley Casserly, ex GMs say the same thing

They are no longer running NFL teams for a reason.

you do realize that gms dont hang onto their jobs forever....no matter how much prior success they have had?

Their years of success most certainly trumps your "opinion"

But John, passing TDs are worth more than rushing TDs.

no mannc...you are ill in formed.....passing YARDS trumps all.....:)

you do realize that gms dont hang onto their jobs forever....no matter how much prior success they have had?

Their years of success most certainly trumps your "opinion"

no mannc...you are ill in formed.....passing YARDS trumps all..... :)

It's not my opinion. It's the actual NFL teams that are drafting. Do you want to bet that no QB will go in top ten?

You dont have the stones to even bet TT will make it to his 2nd year? Why are you trying to bet now?

Why would I bet on Tyrod being here? I already told you the new coach coaches scared. Tyrod is McDermott's Orton or Fitz.

Here is a bet I will make with you, if Tyrod is the QB this year and next year Sean McDermott will be fired.

EJ Manuel is not in the same world as Mahomes as a prospect.

The idea that the Bills should stop drafting QB's is a loser mentality that fits a losing franchise.

I like Mahomes too, and he appears better yes, but he is a project that needs time. What if he fails down the road? There aren't any franchise QBs this year. Get D help.

Looking back at my last post to you is proof I need coffee before I post here.....oooh harsh! Lol, my bad bro

I like Mahomes too, and he appears better yes, but he is a project that needs time. What if he fails down the road? There aren't any franchise QBs this year. Get D help.

Looking back at my last post to you is proof I need coffee before I post here.....oooh harsh! Lol, my bad bro

Ha, no problem. Coffee is key to morning happiness.

I dont think anyone is saying we should not draft qbs

i think the area gets gray after that statement though...there are those of us that think that it makes just as much sense to draft a project in the later rounds if your drafting a project in the early rounds (mean someone that is not gonna start right away)

Im liking Dobbs more and more in this mold.......Our D was a big reason for our failing last year......maybe this is where we should be concentrating a lot of our draft?

Defense didn't cost us the Baltimore game. Defense got killed when the offense went 3 and out 7 times in a row in the Miami heat. Offense wasn't the reason we won in Cincinnati.

The offense and defense each played their part in being an average to below average team.

this post is 100% spot on.... the defense gets way too much blame for last season when in reality both played there fair share

I'm a fan of the best QB available for 2017, and that is TT. The Bills are 15-14 when he starts. Not terrible. That last Miami game should have been a W.

Go out and get a Derek Carr at the corner store next time your out. And you can throw in their WR corp too. By the way, Oakland is a much better overall team than the Bills. hard to believe I know.

you have to try to get the next derek carr..... you will not find him by sticking with tyrod

There seems to be ambiguity about what constitutes a franchise qb.

As I understand the term, franchise qb is around a top ten qb or better who is capable of lifting the play of mediocre players.

One could have a 15 to 20 overall qb that would not make that criteria.

I would not equate franchise qb with a drafted rookie who is ready to start day one.

That is very rarified quality. If one thinks Elway or Luck is franchise qb, there are only a few of that sort available a decade and they always go #1 overall.

It is therefore very imprudent to only be okay with a first round qb who meets such a strict criteria.

For this qb class, the question is whether one or more of them are likely to develop into the initial stated criteria.

Are Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson, Kizer, etc. appreciably more likely to hit that ceiling than mid-round prospects?

Are any of them coin flips or better or are they all long shots? How one judges the percentages probably dictates how eager one is to draft a qb early.

The rhetorical question of how will one feel if a first round qb fails begs the question. No one wants to draft any player who will fail.

Assuming they will fail could easily be matched with the contrary. How will you feel if the Bills pass on a future franchise caliber qb?

this post is 100% spot on.... the defense gets way too much blame for last season when in reality both played there fair share

IF this were even true then your missing the big picture

The identity of this team has been strong defense and look to improve the offense for years...that was the IDENTITY OF THE TEAM.....now that the defense has fallen off "both sides deserve their blame"

yes.....there are 3 facets of a football team.....offense, defense, and special teams.....but when one side of the ball improves by a ton....and nother side of the ball drops off by a ton......

Well?

you have to try to get the next derek carr..... you will not find him by sticking with tyrod

Then take a QB in the 2nd

Once the ground game is taken away from us (defensively or by Shady getting older); and it will be - then what? When we are down, we don't have a passing attack to bring us back. It is a passing league now. I cannot understand the mentality of not drafting QBs or waiting until later rounds and hope someone will develop. I understand that some say if you miss it will set the franchise back x-number years; however, the franchise is already set back x-number of years because you don't have one and you don't draft them enough. This is a position that we don't address. If we drafted QBs every couple of years and they all missed; at least it isn't for the lack of trying and guess what - our overall record in that time period is not going to be that much different.

I know there are some that are worried we would become the Chargers. I would kill for Philip Rivers - they have a QB and wasted him because they can't draft other positions well and it is a shame since you can more easily find positions other than a franchise QB throughout all rounds of the draft....

There seems to be ambiguity about what constitutes a franchise qb.

As I understand the term, franchise qb is around a top ten qb or better who is capable of lifting the play of mediocre players.

One could have a 15 to 20 overall qb that would not make that criteria.

I would not equate franchise qb with a drafted rookie who is ready to start day one.

That is very rarified quality. If one thinks Elway or Luck is franchise qb, there are only a few of that sort available a decade and they always go #1 overall.

It is therefore very imprudent to only be okay with a first round qb who meets such a strict criteria.

For this qb class, the question is whether one or more of them are likely to develop into the initial stated criteria.

Are Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson, Kizer, etc. appreciably more likely to hit that ceiling than mid-round prospects?

Are any of them coin flips or better or are they all long shots? How one judges the percentages probably dictates how eager one is to draft a qb early.

The rhetorical question of how will one feel if a first round qb fails begs the question. No one wants to draft any player who will fail.

Assuming they will fail could easily be matched with the contrary. How will you feel if the Bills pass on a future franchise caliber qb?

John Murphy on WGR just now. Don't draft a QB top ten because it sends the message to the fans that you are not a contender this year.

:wallbash: The stupidity of this football team is only matched by its puppets.