Minus the obvious...what would you like to see this year?

Ramza86

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see a passing offense that ranks in the middle of the pack, let's say #16 or #17. In the last 14 seasons our highest ranking for passing offense was #15 (2011). 10 of the Bills last 14 seasons we've avg.'d less than 200 yards of passing per game. Think about that for a minute.

Bills Passing Offense NFL Rankings:

2016: 30th

2015: 28th

2014: 18th (Orton)

2013: 28th

2012: 25th

2011: 15th (Fitz)

2010: 24th

2009: 30th

2008: 22nd

2007: 30th

2006: 28th

2005: 29th

2004: 27th

2003: 28th

2002: 5th (Bledsoe's 1st year)

If we are ever going to buck the trend of being a crap team, we need to fix this. We need to find a QB who can sling it. Don't fool yourself with Tribusky, though, he is not that guy.

I'd like to see a passing offense that ranks in the middle of the pack, let's say #16 or #17. In the last 14 seasons our highest ranking for passing offense was #15 (2011). 10 of the Bills last 14 seasons we've avg.'d less than 200 yards of passing per game. Think about that for a minute.

Bills Passing Offense NFL Rankings:

2016: 30th

2015: 28th

2014: 18th (Orton)

2013: 28th

2012: 25th

2011: 15th (Fitz)

2010: 24th

2009: 30th

2008: 22nd

2007: 30th

2006: 28th

2005: 29th

2004: 27th

2003: 28th

2002: 5th (Bledsoe's 1st year)

If we are ever going to buck the trend of being a crap team, we need to fix this. We need to find a QB who can sling it. Don't fool yourself with Tribusky, though, he is not that guy.

Estro.....

If you are measuring the passing offense based on total yards, you are following the wrong stat.

Follow yards per attempt It is a much better stat. Total yards doesn't take into account the number of attempts. And with the Bills the last 2 years and with other Greg Roman designed offenses, the numbers are severely out of whack. They are whacky because his offenses ran the ball more times than anyone else and threw the ball less than anyone else. Look at the stats. It is amazing how little his offenses threw compared to the rest of the NFL.

Estro.....

If you are measuring the passing offense based on total yards, you are following the wrong stat.

Follow yards per attempt It is a much better stat. Total yards doesn't take into account the number of attempts. And with the Bills the last 2 years and with other Greg Roman designed offenses, the numbers are severely out of whack. They are whacky because his offenses ran the ball more times than anyone else and threw the ball less than anyone else. Look at the stats. It is amazing how little his offenses threw compared to the rest of the NFL.

I don't like your thinking.

I prefer total passing yards to yards per attempt. If you have an offense that's designed around minimizing the amount of times your QB throws the football I think that tells you a lot. Throwing for 165 yards in a game on 18 attempts, might look good as far as YPA, but in my book it's still a bad passing day no matter how you slice it.

The Bills led the league in rushing 2 straight years and actually had really good YPA in the passing game in '15 (Taylor's 1st year), and I don't think anyone would argue their offense was good.

Until the Bills start regularly appearing in the top 12 for total passing yards, as all good playoff teams do, nothing will change. Best way to accomplish that, obviously is to find a QB. Outside of QB the next best option is getting weapons for the passing game (Corey Davis, O.J. Howard).

I'd like to see more out of Sammy Watkins. Both the Bills actually having a plan to force feed him the ball, all game, everygame and stop talking about how everyone needs to touch it (see Tyrod last season) and I need Watkins to stay healthy with no reports of little nagging injuries he has to play through all season.

Bills picked Watkins over Kahlil Mack and so far there is no fruit on the tree besides 9 games of his 2nd season...

The team coming to play every week. I go sick of watching a Rex team that took after its coach. Sloppy and half assed.

Develop an identity that makes me think "I know what this team is going to try and be the next x number of years."

If I get those two things and 6-10 I would be able to live with that.

I don't like your thinking.

I prefer total passing yards to yards per attempt. If you have an offense that's designed around minimizing the amount of times your QB throws the football I think that tells you a lot. Throwing for 165 yards in a game on 18 attempts, might look good as far as YPA, but in my book it's still a bad passing day no matter how you slice it.

The Bills led the league in rushing 2 straight years and actually had really good YPA in the passing game in '15 (Taylor's 1st year), and I don't think anyone would argue their offense was good.

Until the Bills start regularly appearing in the top 12 for total passing yards, as all good playoff teams do, nothing will change. Best way to accomplish that, obviously is to find a QB. Outside of QB the next best option is getting weapons for the passing game (Corey Davis, O.J. Howard).

I see. You're one of those guys who thinks its the players' fault the coach calls so many running plays.

To beat a dead horse....Every single year any team ran a Greg Roman offense, that team ranked very close to or at the very top of the league in number of running plays called and total rushing yards while being near or at the very bottom of the league in number of passing attempts and total passing yards. Every single year. Regardless of who was Qb. Even when the Greg Roman led 49ers went to the Superbowl.

All you have to do is look at the stats man. Just look. It is obvious as hell.

And guess which teams had the highest passing yards (in general)? Answer: The teams that threw the ball the most times.

Total yards passing and total yards rushing tell you more about how often a team ran or threw than they tell you about how effective that team was at rushing or throwing. If you don't believe me, just go look at the stats.

If you want to blame someone for that, blame the guy calling the plays not the players. And we have different guys calling the plays this year. My prediction is passing yards is going to go up substantially this year, not because the personnel is necessarily better, but simply because they will throw the ball more times per game than the last two years.

Edited by PolishDave

Not expecting too much this year with the schedule we Have. But would be nice to see hardnosed, disciplined football. That's it! I do have a good feeling about McD and will not judge him this year on wins and loses but improvement from week to week.

Oh yeah and OJ Howard at 10.

Better tackling. Those Dolphins and Steelers games were particularly hard to watch for me

that was really bad fish smashed the crap out of buffalo i would like to have hope for the future because there was none at the end of last year

REX SUCKS

I see. You're one of those guys who thinks its the players' fault the coach calls so many running plays.

To beat a dead horse....Every single year any team ran a Greg Roman offense, that team ranked very close to or at the very top of the league in number of running plays called and total rushing yards while being near or at the very bottom of the league in number of passing attempts and total passing yards. Every single year. Regardless of who was Qb. Even when the Greg Roman led 49ers went to the Superbowl.

All you have to do is look at the stats man. Just look. It is obvious as hell.

And guess which teams had the highest passing yards (in general)? Answer: The teams that threw the ball the most times.

Total yards passing and total yards rushing tell you more about how often a team ran or threw than they tell you about how effective that team was at rushing or throwing. If you don't believe me, just go look at the stats.

If you want to blame someone for that, blame the guy calling the plays not the players. And we have different guys calling the plays this year. My prediction is passing yards is going to go up substantially this year, not because the personnel is necessarily better, but simply because they will throw the ball more times per game than the last two years.

I think you are missing Estro's point. He is saying until we are a pass first team he doesn't believe we will be successful. He is saying that is the type of team he wants to see this year.

A completely healthy Watkins all season along with Mcoy and Clay.

I am with you. I need to see Watkins play like the 4th pick in the Draft from start to finish, and the Bills actually show a plan that gets him the ball every single game. Running the offense through McCoy and Watkins. We are good at using McCoy, but Watkins has just been wasted in Buffalo.

I think you are missing Estro's point. He is saying until we are a pass first team he doesn't believe we will be successful. He is saying that is the type of team he wants to see this year.

I think that Dave's point is that we if you want to see the pass yards improve, you will. It isn't necessarily the function of being better though, it's because they will throw the ball more in Dennison's offense. At the same time, I fully expect the run game to be worse.

Gross yardage is always a function of the opportunity. 30 carries for 100 yards isn't as effective as 15 for 94. I expect the passing yards to go to about 240 yards a game but it doesn't necessarily mean drastic improvement. Adding someone like Davis and raising he attempts will get them there. The Bills were the only NFL team to average less than 30 attempts a game (29.6). Denver, by comparison averaged 35.6 (18th most). If the Bills go to that level you would be looking at 228.2 passing yards a game. That's still not perfect but an improved weapon (like Davis) and a healthy Sammy should raise the YPA.

I am with you. I need to see Watkins play like the 4th pick in the Draft from start to finish, and the Bills actually show a plan that gets him the ball every single game. Running the offense through McCoy and Watkins. We are good at using McCoy, but Watkins has just been wasted in Buffalo.

Agree, I can't believe that I forgot to put it on here but 10 targets a game for Watkins. That is near the top of my list.