Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.....this happens by improving the guys that actually catch the ball..playmakers make plays

It is just going to be different than what we saw last year. If John Elway felt comfortable tendering his starting (not backup) RB at UDFA (not 5th rd) level right after he won the SB with Dennison's offense, I think we can be OK with our RB depth. I am no expert by any means but I think the offense will look and feel different than it did with Roman/Alynn and sometimes you are OK with, or even aim for, shuffling players for that reason.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think the biggest thing they need to do with the offense is become more balanced. I don't care if they gave the #1 rushing offense or the #10 rushing offense. I do care if they score when they need to score to win games, and that didn't happen enough last year. They piled up a lot of yards and points in blowouts and not when they had to score to win close games. There is a lot going on behind the scenes with the staff as they work toward that. I don't care really if they replace MG's ypc, it didn't lead to the end result and just looks pretty on the stat sheet. Same for Shady - he's a weapon other teams must game plan around which is huge, but he's needed as a game changer in the W-L column, not to win the rushing title (which he keeps saying he's after).

Ive said this in this thread as well. I'd gladly give up the #1 rushing spot to find balance between the run and pass games. #1 rushing doesnt get you much when youre #32 in passing.

This makes sense.

Gilissee is a bit of a weird back. He's perfect for those 5-8 carries per game. But as I recall, anytime he had to step in to start, he was pretty terrible. I don't think he is a backup RB, as opposed to just a change of pace sort of guy who is good for limited touches.

Agree on this - some backs appear to get stronger perhaps tiring or wearing out defenses but Mike seems to be a change of pace back not a carry the load back.

Ive said this in this thread as well. I'd gladly give up the #1 rushing spot to find balance between the run and pass games. #1 rushing doesnt get you much when youre #32 in passing.

You can pretty much bet that is what is going to happen this year.

Bills are unlikely to match that rushing production because they are likely to pass more often than they did last year. They still are likely to be near the top in rushing YPC in my opinion. But I think you are going to see a much more prolific passing attack even with Tyrod at the helm.

no he's not. Lewis will line up at receiver more than rb.

Pats dont have a no.1 at any skill position. To easy to defend. They found that out with Moss and Welker. They much rather have a bunch of guys who are good than 1 great.

How can you say "too easy to defend" when NE owns 3 of the top 12 scoring offenses of all time when Moss was there?

2nd round tender would have been the worst possible move. It's crazy to me some fans are saying Whaley messed up by not sticking him with the 2nd round tender. Why would we pay one backup RB $3 million?

This post should really end the thread.

This post should really end the thread.

Unless, of course, we were taking the going rate of backup running backs into context, as I've posted multiple times in this thread.

Backups are getting $3M/year in the NFL now; this is hardly a ground-breaking contract.

It is just going to be different than what we saw last year. If John Elway felt comfortable tendering his starting (not backup) RB at UDFA (not 5th rd) level right after he won the SB with Dennison's offense, I think we can be OK with our RB depth. I am no expert by any means but I think the offense will look and feel different than it did with Roman/Alynn and sometimes you are OK with, or even aim for, shuffling players for that reason.

How about we take a late-round flier on Aaron Jones of UTEP?

Seems like a great fit for Dennison's offense.

I really see both sides, I like Gillislee. I do have strong opinions about the offense needing to be more balanced in order to win moreso than needing certain ypc production from a secondary RB. Relying so much on the ground game is ultimately futile. We won't really know if it is a good or bad move until we see the outcome next season and beyond.

Again, 5th round pick for backup running back. What is the !@#$ing problem?

He is McCoys backup, you know hamstring McCoy, one cut from IR. And He goes to NE to join Gilmore on their way to Superbowl again. And destroying the Bills and laughing while they do it.

McCoy is an expensive tire on your car that goes flat in a snowstorm:

MG is your full-size replacement that's ready to go - inflated with lots of tread. Slap it on and you're on your way.

Rookie running backs are your questionably viable donut spare tire that may or may not have air and may or may not have good tread since you've never seen it and haven't ever used it.

That's why you keep MG.

McCoy is an expensive tire on your car that goes flat in a snowstorm:

MG is your full-size replacement that's ready to go - inflated with lots of tread. Slap it on and you're on your way.

And yet, performance, stats, and facts say it's actually the opposite.

Unless, of course, we were taking the going rate of backup running backs into context, as I've posted multiple times in this thread.

Backups are getting $3M/year in the NFL now; this is hardly a ground-breaking contract.

Wasn't it pointed out earlier that there's only like 3 teams paying their backups that much? I'll be honest if they had ended up re-signing Gillislee I wouldn't have really cared, I just love how people are freaking out over the backup RB. For all we know the coaches want to bring in a power back because they think it fits the scheme better.

He is McCoys backup, you know hamstring McCoy, one cut from IR. And He goes to NE to join Gilmore on their way to Superbowl again. And destroying the Bills and laughing while they do it.

LOL! The more this gets said, the more people get added to the stupid list.

i don't think they should care how it makes them "look" - though Vic insinuated the same. It's a good "trade" for both sides based on where each team is at (obviously very different systems and rosters) and where they need to go with those. Jmo of course. I think MG will be good there in their RBBC and we will draft a good, young RB to add to our team (maybe even with that draft pick) who fits the new scheme. .

They shouldn't, but that's not how the world works. Again, any other team but the Cheaters and they more than likely let him walk.

But you're going to have a hard time getting a player of MG's caliber with a late 5th round pick. Sure you might get lucky, but odds are you won't.

Wasn't it pointed out earlier that there's only like 3 teams paying their backups that much? I'll be honest if they had ended up re-signing Gillislee I wouldn't have really cared, I just love how people are freaking out over the backup RB. For all we know the coaches want to bring in a power back because they think it fits the scheme better.

There are at least 4, but that's not really the point.

The point is more that recent backup RB contracts are absolutely in that vicinity.

Now as I've said, one can make a salient argument that the team can't afford to pay a backup $4M for this upcoming season when they're paying the starter $9M, and it's worth discussing.

IMO, looking at next year, when the cap hit drops to $2.5M and the cap goes up, we'll be happy they did it.