Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

Here is a TSW reality:

The vast majority of people in this thread that are downplaying the loss of MG......like Promo, for instance........would be vehemently defending the Bills, against any detractors, for signing such a high production young all-around RB for such a small amount and only having to give up a fifth round pick! Fifth round picks fail so much more often than not! It's like giving up nothing! :lol:

Y'all know it's true.

And if it were a player from the PATS that the Bills were pinching........good lawd almighty.......Promo would be in seventh heaven. :lol:

The Bills paid more to Jordan Poyer for chrissake and the guy has never peed a drop and missed almost all of last season with an injury. :doh:

Bottom line.......this is a nice low price for MG.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a TSW reality:

The vast majority of people in this thread that are downplaying the loss of MG......like Promo, for instance........would be vehemently defending the Bills, against any detractors, for signing such a high production young all-around RB for such a small amount and only having to give up a fifth round pick! Fifth round picks fail so much more often than not! It's like giving up nothing! :lol:

Y'all know it's true.

And if it were a player from the PATS that the Bills were pinching........good lawd almighty.......Promo would be in seventh heaven. :lol:

The Bills paid more to Jordan Poyer for chrissake and the guy has never peed a drop and missed almost all of last season with an injury. :doh:

It is a nice offersheet.

However i still dont match.

Bills should have tendered at the 2nd round level to begin with.

IMO..the mistake was made by not putting a 2nd round tender on MG...now don't compound the mistake by overpaying for a back-up RB....cut your losses, take the 5th round pick and move on!

You do realize that they paid Reggie Bush $3M to become the first player in many a decade to average NEGATIVE yardage per rush (-0.3). :lol:

Do you have supreme faith that the money won't just be worse spent elsewhere if they pass on matching the MG contract?

$3.2M per barely registers as anything significant on the cap.

Here is a TSW reality:

Y'all know it's true.

I disagree.

As I stated in my post, I think it's the other way around. I think if it was Belichick getting a 5th round pick in exchange for a backup running back (that he had signed off the scrap heap for vet minimum to begin with), everyone on here would be calling him a genius. Flipping a running back who's about to turn 28 for a 5th round pick and 1million+ in cap space just doesn't seem like bad business to me. Even if the Bills simply turn around and spend the pick they acquired on a running back, said player will be 6 years younger and a good deal cheaper.

I liked Gillislee a lot, but I think people are somewhat underrating the value of a 5th round pick in a deep draft and somewhat overrating the importance of a backup running back.

I disagree.

As I stated in my post, I think it's the other way around. I think if it was Belichick getting a 5th round pick in exchange for a backup running back (that he had signed off the scrap heap for vet minimum to begin with), everyone on here would be calling him a genius. Flipping a running back who's about to turn 28 for a 5th round pick and 1million+ in cap space just doesn't seem like bad business to me. Even if the Bills simply turn around and spend the pick they acquired on a running back, said player will be 6 years younger and a good deal cheaper.

I liked Gillislee a lot, but I think people are somewhat underrating the value of a 5th round pick in a deep draft and somewhat overrating the importance of a backup running back.

Oh, seeing some of the scatterbrain logic from defenders of not matching the MG contract I don't think you speak for the majority.

And this is pick 163 mind you.......because of the unusually high amount of 3rd and 4th round comp picks it is effectively the sixth round of 32 selections.

It's a nice deep draft but you can get a fifth round pick in return for trading back just a couple spots in round 2.........it's not much draft capital to gain at all.

And even in a good draft those late picks are still iffy and you probably have to wait a year or two for them to develop.

Bills have a VETERAN team.

If they didn't need to sneak into the playoffs now they should have started trimming the real fat.......like contracts that won't be needed NEXT year.......Eric Wood for example.

They run the risk of being half-in on competing in 2017 with a roster loaded with vets......that can be ugly, no-fun football to watch.

Bills fans are such cry babies. I swear they would probably keep 200 players on the team if they could. who cares what the team has to pay. It's not their pocket. Every player that leaves is a "superstar". every player who stays is crap.

That is what happens when you hang around Canadians. :nana:

It is about time people started realizing this. Welcome to Bizzaroworld!

It's like cars in traffic - anybody in front of you who slows you down because they aren't driving fast enough is an **** - and anyone who drives faster and passes you is a maniac!

So how did we manage to get all of the maniac azzholes from BBMB?

I would absolutely let NE have him and sign Blount the next day. Blount and Shady would be a perfect duo.

And Blount might just take money and then allow himself to be cut like at Pittsburgh. No.

You do realize that they paid Reggie Bush $3M to become the first player in many a decade to average NEGATIVE yardage per rush (-0.3). :lol:

Do you have supreme faith that the money won't just be worse spent elsewhere if they pass on matching the MG contract?

$3.2M per barely registers as anything significant on the cap.

Bush made $1.5M last year. Still way too much, but you're figure of $3 is incorrect.

I disagree.

At McCoys age a backup running back is pretty important. Especially on a team that is more run dominant than pass dominant. I think you underestimate how good he was on our team. I think you way over estimate the value of a 5th round pick. Go take a look at our 5th round history.

Could they find a role player for backup? Sure they could, but why create a hole and waste resources over 900k in cap space for someone who likely wont produce as good? That's peanuts and horrible management.

Edited by Scott7975

I like TD Mike and wish we could keep him. In this era, it's nearly impossible to root for a player on your team , let alone buy a jersey of his.

Sure, I'd love the Draft pick in a purportedly deep Draft, but we'd have to use it or another pick to replace him rather than strengthening the team elsewhere as he was a great complimentary player. The days of Thurman & Kenny Davis are long gone..

I remember when I was certain we couldn't replace Karlos. I think the bills wanted that 5 round draft pick, and they actually plan on using those fullbacks.

vic carucci said the coaching staff doesn't value MG in the offense as much as the fans. I think they were hoping to get a draft pick with the 5th rd tender, but if no one bit they valued him at what they were going to pay him. A 2nd rd tender would have certainly guaranteed no pick coming their way, they would be stuck paying him 3mill, and only one year plus hurts negotiations for a longer deal. They were trying to do an extension so he would be under contract for more than one year, but don't know the offer. Highly doubt it was 6.4 mil over 2 years. Edited by YoloinOhio

vic carucci said the coaching staff doesn't value MG in the offense as much as the fans. I think they were hoping to get a draft pick with the 5th rd tender, but if no one bit they valued him at what they were going to pay him. A 2nd rd tender would have certainly guaranteed no pick coming their way, they would be stuck paying him 3mill, and only one year plus hurts negotiations for a longer deal. They were trying to do an extension so he would be under contract for more than one year, but don't know the offer. Highly doubt it was 6.4 mil over 2 years.

2nd round tender would have been the worst possible move. It's crazy to me some fans are saying Whaley messed up by not sticking him with the 2nd round tender. Why would we pay one backup RB $3 million?

vic carucci said the coaching staff doesn't value MG in the offense as much as the fans. I think they were hoping to get a draft pick with the 5th rd tender, but if no one bit they valued him at what they were going to pay him. A 2nd rd tender would have certainly guaranteed no pick coming their way, they would be stuck paying him 3mill, and only one year plus hurts negotiations for a longer deal. They were trying to do an extension so he would be under contract for more than one year, but don't know the offer. Highly doubt it was 6.4 mil over 2 years.

Thanks for the info, all makes sense!

This makes sense.

Gilissee is a bit of a weird back. He's perfect for those 5-8 carries per game. But as I recall, anytime he had to step in to start, he was pretty terrible. I don't think he is a backup RB, as opposed to just a change of pace sort of guy who is good for limited touches.

People that suggest tendering your 6-carry-per-game backup running back at the 2nd round level just do not understand restricted free agency. No big deal, some people get it, some people don't.

These same people are shouting from the rooftops that Whaley should be fired for criminally undervaluing MG, but are conveniently ignoring the fact that for the first 6+ weeks of free agency, no other team agreed with the Patriots that he was worth the 5th rounder. I'm just not sure how it can be completely obvious that Whaley blundered when 31 of the 32 NFL teams have tacitly agreed that MG is NOT worth a $7m 2-year deal and a 5th round draft pick.

If the Bills match this offer sheet, they are conceding a 5th round draft pick to pay their backup running back the 12th highest salary on the team. On a team that already has the second highest paid running back in the NFL.

I know it is the Patriots and they make us really sad, and I know we really felt super excited when MG punched in a touchdown last year, but I'd suggest that making decisions based on how they make you feel isn't the best way to turn the franchise around.