Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2015 Karlos Williams had 5.6 yards per carry behind Shady

2016 Mike Gillislee had 5.7 yards per carry behind Shady

How do we expect to miss the playoffs for the 18th year without a 5 yd per carry backup? They're clearly vital to the success of this team and extremely rare! Well, unless you ignore the 2015 and 2016 Bills who did it with completely different players both obtained cheaply through different means by Doug Whaley.

Also, if the Pats 5th is really their 6th, why the hell would we want that? What the hell have the Pats ever done with thier 6th round pick? Waste...

Actually MG averaged 5.7 ypa in 2015 AND 2016.

It's not like they alternated as Shady's backup.

The two of them did what they did on 250+ carries combined in 2015=2016.......which is well over a full season of work for McCoy these days.

When Shady was injured while sulking thru the Redskins game in 2015.....from there on out Karlos and MG still ran for the same ypa from there thru the end of the season.

They basically said they'd rather have a 5th rd pick rather than a backup rb for 1 season. Fair trade to me. Gillislee wasn't isnt going to win us a super bowl this year:

Not sure any player we have is winning us a Superbowl, that's not the way I look at it.

The running game was a big part of our scoring system, and TD Mike was a significant part of that. The best #2 back in the league.

Shady needs breathers and we never lost a beat with Mike. Watch the 2nd Miami game this year he was the reason we were even in it. Fastest man on the field by far.

McDermott said he's a believer in running the ball, yet we just let a very good value guy walk for a million bucks per year.

Do you think Jonathan Williams will be half the producer Mike was?

Not sure any player we have is winning us a Superbowl, that's not the way I look at it.

The running game was a big part of our scoring system, and TD Mike was a significant part of that. The best #2 back in the league.

Shady needs breathers and we never lost a beat with Mike. Watch the 2nd Miami game this year he was the reason we were even in it. Fastest man on the field by far.

McDermott said he's a believer in running the ball, yet we just let a very good value guy walk for a million bucks per year.

. Half? Easily. As good? Maybe not.

He hasnt walked yet

Yea, I'm not feeling great about this year. It has the feeling of the type of season that really needs us to get all the bounces, most of the 50-50 calls, and have a few key guys play above their normal level to be a playoff contender.

All possible, and we see teams get lucky but I'm not counting on it either

I hope McDermott isn't one of those Greggo Williams types that thinks he's going to impose his will on opposing teams then loses the team when the reality sinks in that the players on the field win the games.

Not a fan of letting a coach start off with lesser talent than the year prior........the message gets lost pretty fast when a new coach gets to losin'.

Didn't really care for the players the Bills chose in FA/trade when they first hired Rex.......but it was refreshing to me to see ownership realize the importance of giving a new HC what he needs to win.

I have no idea what is going on; this was just a fail. It isn't a fail because the Pats signed him despite what some here think. It's a fail because they had a chance to keep him for next to nothing and they dropped the ball.

How much do running backs get in trades? One of the moves I hated most by Whaley was the Brown trade. It was a terrible over pay. Getting a 5th rounder for a backup RB is a solid trade.

Also, how much do we want to invest in the rb position? I know our qb can't throw well but between McCoy and MG, that's a huge chunk of change.

Signing both players with the higher tender was clearly the smarter choice.

Hogan was a JAG. No team would have tendered him at the 2nd round level. And no one had an inkling that the Cheaters would sign him to a $4M/year deal, which the Bills could have matched if they wanted.

As for MG, they can still match his deal, again, if they want to.

Actually MG averaged 5.7 ypa in 2015 AND 2016.

It's not like they alternated as Shady's backup.

The two of them did what they did on 250+ carries combined in 2015=2016.......which is well over a full season of work for McCoy these days.

When Shady was injured while sulking thru the Redskins game in 2015.....from there on out Karlos and MG still ran for the same ypa from there thru the end of the season.

KW averaged 4.25 YPG and MG average 3.67 YPG after that Redskins game. Both were under Shady's season average of 4.4 YPG, and they were healthy unlike Shady.

Hogan was a JAG. No team would have tendered him at the 2nd round level. And no one had an inkling that the Cheaters would sign him to a $4M/year deal, which the Bills could have matched if they wanted.

KW averaged 4.25 YPG and MG average 3.67 YPG after that Redskins game. Both were under Shady's season average of 4.4 YPG, and they were healthy unlike Shady.

You can shout this until you're blue in the face, but it isn't an argument.

Signing MG and Hogan to the higher round tender would've ensured we kept them for peanuts, $700k and $1M extra for one season. Instead we lost them for nothing, and a 5th rounder. When the whole point of tendering a player is to keep them. :doh:

Edited by FireChan

How much do running backs get in trades? One of the moves I hated most by Whaley was the Brown trade. It was a terrible over pay. Getting a 5th rounder for a backup RB is a solid trade.

Also, how much do we want to invest in the rb position? I know our qb can't throw well but between McCoy and MG, that's a huge chunk of change.

Given the offense....worth it

I'm not going to number check your stats, but who cares. The season was beyond done by that point (after the Redskins game). It was done when they lost to Philly. MG did show show his "talent" on the long TD run against the Cowboys to finish the game. Homerun speed that consistently turns the corner. That said, it was all "preseason" football at that point.

Bills would be stupid to match. Back up RB are a dime a dozen. Let's be honest here, there was a significant drop off when Gilly had to be the starter. The reason why he was so effective was because McCoy did the real damage. I am fine with Jonathon Williams being the back up, and bringing in another RB off the street to compete. Our o line is good enough to plug most any back up RB in there.

BB doesn't want Gilly, he just wants to screw the Bills. Don't fall for his nonsense.

just any RB 'off the street'? What does that mean?

Eagles got a 4th for Bryce Brown :thumbdown:

He's missed 10 games over his 8 seasons. Show me a RB that hasn't missed at least as many.

okay man, you win. he has no history of injuries. as a matter of fact, he likely will play in to his 40's, never seeing another injury.

see, that makes about as much sense as you saying he has no history of injuries.

with that said, I ride off into the sunset with a little ripple to drift off to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wh7ylJManI

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

You can shout this until you're blue in the face, but it isn't an argument.

Signing MG and Hogan to the higher round tender would've ensured we kept them for peanuts, $700k and $1M extra for one season. Instead we lost them for nothing, and a 5th rounder. When the whole point of tendering a player is to keep them. :doh:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, eh? But without have a crystal ball, again, NO TEAM would have ever put a 2nd rounder on Hogan. And his presence wouldn't have changed a thing for the Bills.

As for Gilly, again I doubt any team puts a 2nd round tender on a backup RB. If there was a team that did it anytime recently, I'd like to see it. But the market for backup RB's unexpectedly was good this FA period, considering a guy like Burkhead got $3.15M. So a 2-year deal averaging $3.2M isn't a bad deal for them to match.

Why would we tell patriots we aren't matching until we have to? Reports that we aren't matching are BS in my opinion.

Exactly. I think they wait until the last possible second and re-sign him.

I'm not going to number check your stats, but who cares. The season was beyond done by that point (after the Redskins game). It was done when they lost to Philly. MG did show show his "talent" on the long TD run against the Cowboys to finish the game. Homerun speed that consistently turns the corner. That said, it was all "preseason" football at that point.

I agree. I think they are (were in Karlos' case) excellent backup RB's. Can MG be a feature back? Not sure.

Eagles got a 4th for Bryce Brown :thumbdown:

Not to be that guy but I ripped that trade the second it happened. Possibly the worst move Whaley has made. My reasoning was why waste a draft pick on an older veteran RB who has only shown flashes as a backup?

So in being consistent, I hate this move for NE. :)

McCoy was having an awful game against the Redskins before getting injured immediately after halftime.

10 carries for 29 yards and a fumble.

Karlos and MG went off against Washington in his absence. MG in particular had 4 rushes for 81 yards and a TD in that game.

The TD's were a big difference between Karlos/MG and McCoy in 2015. They scored them in bunches from all over the field......McCoy did not.

The aberration was the Jets game where the already tough Jets run D overloaded to stop the run. The previous game vs the Bills they had been nickeled and dimed by the running game and they were determined not to allow it again......leaving the secondary exposed and Tyrod and Sammy had a huge game versus Revis after Revis had totally shut them down in the first matchup.

Yeah Whaley is just all over the f*ckin place valuing RB's.

Brown was a turd.

MG is good.......and has made Whaley look good for picking him up.

Edited by #BADOL

The Jets would have made the playoffs if they had won that last game. That game meant a lot. The Bills were determined to beat them. The game counted.

The second round tender is 1.5% of the cap. Gillislee is certainly worth that to this team IMO. They may find someone to replace him but why mess with one of the best running games in decades? I looked in week 16 and the Bills were averaging a higher YPC than any team dating back to 2002 (I think was the year). I went as far back as I could. They didn't need to mess with the running game. They should have done everything that they could to keep that status quo. Edited by Kirby Jackson

The second round tender is 1.5% of the cap. Gillislee is certainly worth that to this team IMO. They may find someone to replace him but why mess with one of the best running games in decades? I looked in week 16 and the Bills were averaging a higher YPC than any team dating back to 2002 (I think was the year). I went as far back as I could. They didn't need to mess with the running game. They should have done everything that they could to keep that status quo.

We need a real qb. No team in the NFL should care this much about a backup RB.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, eh? But without have a crystal ball, again, NO TEAM would have ever put a 2nd rounder on Hogan. And his presence wouldn't have changed a thing for the Bills.

As for Gilly, again I doubt any team puts a 2nd round tender on a backup RB. If there was a team that did it anytime recently, I'd like to see it. But the market for backup RB's unexpectedly was good this FA period, considering a guy like Burkhead got $3.15M. So a 2-year deal averaging $3.2M isn't a bad deal for them to match.

I agree. I think they are (were in Karlos' case) excellent backup RB's. Can MG be a feature back? Not sure.

If it were ANY other team that signed him, whatever, but BB will employ him at the right time in the right situation....He and Hogan will be the featured members of the offense against Buffalo (in Buffalo) and somehow....Gilmore will get a pick 6. It's going to be painful to watch. For most, this is why MG to New England hurts so bad.

We need a real qb. No team in the NFL should care this much about a backup RB.

TT is the least of this team's problems. We could use a real WR corp too. And a real GM who doesn't think EJ had the "it" factor and wanted him to start over Taylor. TT was brought in to manage a run oriented offense, and 47 TDs, 15 turnovers with 1000 yards rushing tells me he did ok.

McCoy was having an awful game against the Redskins before getting injured immediately after halftime.

10 carries for 29 yards and a fumble.

Karlos and MG went off against Washington in his absence. MG in particular had 4 rushes for 81 yards and a TD in that game.

The TD's were a big difference between Karlos/MG and McCoy in 2015. They scored them in bunches from all over the field......McCoy did not.

The aberration was the Jets game where the already tough Jets run D overloaded to stop the run. The previous game vs the Bills they had been nickeled and dimed by the running game and they were determined not to allow it again......leaving the secondary exposed and Tyrod and Sammy had a huge game versus Revis after Revis had totally shut them down in the first matchup.

Did you watch that game BADOL? On the opening possession of the game, the Skins scored a TD. The Bills' next series, Shady got 3 carries for 13 yards (4.3 YPC) but the Bills had to punt. The Skins proceeded to score another TD. The Bills get the ball and Shady had 1 run for 8 yards (5.25 YPC) but again they had to punt. The Skins score yet another TD. The game was over by that point.

The Jets would have made the playoffs if they had won that last game. That game meant a lot. The Bills were determined to beat them. The game counted.

There's a big difference between an early season game that is meaningful and the finale that involves an eliminated team. Meaning, not ALL players are completely in the game from start to finish (i.e., self-preservation kicks in). That game did mean alot to select individuals on the Bills side (Rex, Tyrod, Sammy, etc.). Others....Not so much. The Jets were a football team that was worse than their record conveyed. Hence, they couldn't beat an already eliminated team, just to make the playoffs.

Again, these are not arguments. These are you saying it wouldn't happen. Which means nothing.

MG should have received the second round tender. It made little sense to risk losing him for virtually no reward. Refute that argument instead of saying nothing.

Edited by FireChan

More like "Yep".

He had 12 rushes for 85 yards in that game.

Running for 7 yards per carry as the lead back against the Pats will apparently get you an offer sheet.

We lose a key part to why the Bills lead the NFL in rushing in 2016, a solid compliment to McCoy, to NE no less,and no one is supposed to be upset by it. SMH This team is flooded with talent and good depth to some of these posters I guess.

There's a big difference between an early season game that is meaningful and the finale that involves an eliminated team. Meaning, not ALL players are completely in the game from start to finish (i.e., self-preservation kicks in). That game did mean alot to select individuals on the Bills side (Rex, Tyrod, Sammy, etc.). Others....Not so much. The Jets were a football team that was worse than their record conveyed. Hence, they couldn't beat an already eliminated team, just to make the playoffs.

We had the better QB and the better team in 2015. I watched that game and every Bills player was in it to win. That is why they quit in the finale against an then awful Jets team this past season. Bench TT after the best game of his career and start EJ because of Whaley's infatuation with the guy. The organization showed they were not interested in winning.