Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCoy is 29, and has had hamstring issues the past two years. What are the odds he plays 16 games? A quality backup is needed, nonetheless.

No dude, c'mon we gotta' save $1M in cap space NOW......... and then have to go sign a washed up RB like Reggie Bush for $3M for one year in training camp when McCoy's strings get balky.

It is amazing how a lousy team like the Bills is always in cap "jail," while the Patriots are far under and able to throw so much money around. I wonder who is to blame for the Bills' plight?

Why is this amazing? Many/most players take a pay cut just for the opportunity to get a RING.

We lost a good player that is not easily replaceable as you seem to think. Esp for a roster that lacks good depth.

lol all stops. better cap management and this doesn't happen. by the way, NE just signed Butler.

They also lost much better players than mg. that's the nfl. It's only in buffalo that the angst meter goes off the charts for a backup.

He's a backup. I don't want to pull out all the stops on every player because the pats might grab him.

This thread is embarrassing.

All the stops? Please explain? He was a RFA, who if tendered at the next level would still be in Buffalo. The system is designed to help teams retain talent, it even rewards them for losing talent. Yet, this is the second player in two years that will be contributing elsewhere.

Last year the group of WR's was depleted, Hogan would have helped a bit? Would anyone be shocked if Shady gets hurt this year? Gilly played really well and I think you would have a hard time finding someone who would value Tolbert over Gilly. Sounds like Boobie Dixon or Freddy.

With another #1 overall pick generational Qb. They went 6-10 and were 0-2 in BB's first 2 years before Mo Lewis entered the picture.

This is exactly why I wanted Taylor to go. I want to start a young qb. I don't think the drop off is as bad as some people think. But if we hit rock bottom, good. As terrible as people want to say the Bills are, the problem is they aren't. They are slightly below average. As a result, they scramble to find a qb because they always pick in the 9-16 range. And we always miss out on the Big Bens, Cams, & Lucks of the world. I would welcome a 2-14 season instead of a 7-9 one we will probably have.

Big Ben was #11 overall. Sure, we were 13 that year but most years that pick is there for us.

I get this argument, but again it's more complicated than that. Plenty of top 10 pick quarterbacks fail or end up mediocre. Meanwhile Aaron Rodgers was drafted in the 20s, Carr in the 2nd round, Wilson in the 3rd, Brady in the 6th and so on.

We missed the playoffs last season because of the defense. With TT, this offense has been 12 and top ten in scoring the last two seasons.

With a good defense we wouldn't have made the super bowl. Tyrod will likely never win a super bowl. Those people that want to suck for a high pick feel that way because they want to get a stud qb that can win a super bowl. Not tyrod Taylor, who, at his best, might be able to lead us to the playoffs. Or with a top 10 defense in history might be able to win a super bowl. A mediocre qb is what we have. To give yourself the best chance to win a super bowl, you want to acquire an elite qb. The best way to acquire an elite qb is in the draft. To draft high enough to secure said elite qb, one must draft high enough to draft said elite qb. To do that, one must suck.

I get it, you love tyrod and he gives us the best chance to win this year. Win what? 9-10 games if we're extremely lucky? Early exit in the playoffs is best case scenario if we get lucky. That trend will likely continue while tyrod is our qb or until we acquire a good qb (or assemble an all time defense). I understand those that want to build around tyrod and hope for the best 2017 we can have. I also understand why someone would want to tank and get first dibs on the #1 qb next year. Both make sense and I'd be fine with either strategy, but I think I'd rather suck and have first dibs on the QBs next year.

Also, and not to totally get into here, but these advance stats need to be taken with a grain of salt? I saw one game where Tim Tebow had a better rating than Aaron Rodgers who threw 4 td passes.

Advanced stats will favor a guy like Alex Smith over Brett Farve. Plus, you have no idea what the play call is or if someone ran the wrong route. Football is the hardest sport to use advanced stats on.

PFR's metric is different. Favre, for instance, has way better advanced stats overall than Alex Smith. And Tebow got an 85 (garbage level) in his one full season starting.

Edited by dave mcbride

All the stops? Please explain? He was a RFA, who if tendered at the next level would still be in Buffalo. The system is designed to help teams retain talent, it even rewards them for losing talent. Yet, this is the second player in two years that will be contributing elsewhere.

Last year the group of WR's was depleted, Hogan would have helped a bit? Would anyone be shocked if Shady gets hurt this year? Gilly played really well and I think you would have a hard time finding someone who would value Tolbert over Gilly. Sounds like Boobie Dixon or Freddy.

2nd player in 2 years?

Do you watch what other teams do?

They also lost much better players than mg. that's the nfl. It's only in buffalo that the angst meter goes off the charts for a backup.

You'd fit right in here with the old school apologists during the Marv/Brandon GM era.

The chicken littles say the sky is fallin! If someone mentions 8 years since a playoff appearance a puppy dies! :rolleyes:

We lost a good player that is not easily replaceable as you seem to think. Esp for a roster that lacks good depth.

lol all stops. better cap management and this doesn't happen. by the way, NE just signed Butler.

Haha.

We talking bout backup. Backups! We talkin bout backups man!

Dude - I like MG and would like to see him back with the bills but not at that price and not when we'd get draft pick comp.

There are a ton of problems with how the bills have been managed the last two decades, but you're picking a bizarre hill to die on with MG.

If shady goes down for any more than a game or two, the 5% chance at a playoff spot goes to 0.5%. So what does it matter who is playing backup RB. Would rather have another pick and a little more cap room to fill more impactful positions.

It is also entirely possible that the Bill's coaching staff/front office doesn't think MIke is a big of a difference maker as some of the fans in this thread seem to think. Maybe they think he is replaceable and place a much lower value on him.

2nd player in 2 years?

Do you watch what other teams do?

Successful teams or ones that fall on their faces over and over again?

The WR depth is still horrible, the RB depth is about to take a hit. Shady is another year older...

Do you prefer a guy like Tolbert over Gilly? That's a hard sell even to the biggest Whaley defenders.

Edited by Commonsense

With a good defense we wouldn't have made the super bowl. Tyrod will likely never win a super bowl. Those people that want to suck for a high pick feel that way because they want to get a stud qb that can win a super bowl. Not tyrod Taylor, who, at his best, might be able to lead us to the playoffs. Or with a top 10 defense in history might be able to win a super bowl. A mediocre qb is what we have. To give yourself the best chance to win a super bowl, you want to acquire an elite qb. The best way to acquire an elite qb is in the draft. To draft high enough to secure said elite qb, one must draft high enough to draft said elite qb. To do that, one must suck.

I get it, you love tyrod and he gives us the best chance to win this year. Win what? 9-10 games if we're extremely lucky? Early exit in the playoffs is best case scenario if we get lucky. That trend will likely continue while tyrod is our qb or until we acquire a good qb (or assemble an all time defense). I understand those that want to build around tyrod and hope for the best 2017 we can have. I also understand why someone would want to tank and get first dibs on the #1 qb next year. Both make sense and I'd be fine with either strategy, but I think I'd rather suck and have first dibs on the QBs next year.

And miss the playoffs for 18 years without knowing what will happen in the 2018 draft or if that QB will be good or that OBD will even make the right pick, which is doubtful.

Successful teams or ones that fail on their faces over and over again?

The WR depth is still horrible, the RB depth is about to take a hit. Shady is another year older...

Do you prefer a guy like Tolbert over Gilly? That's a hard sell even to the biggest Whaley defenders.

Every team. Every team loses good players.

Every year.

Exactly, and the Bills will more than likely have to pay more for FAs.

Or-- the Patriots know when to move on from players who are no longer at their peak. And they would never sign a guy like Dareus to the ridiculous contract the Bills gave him.