Marrone: "We have to rebuild Bortles' Foundation"

TPS

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty sure i'm in the minority here, but i expect Marrone will turn the Jags around.

I believe he will as well - but like others have said I think he has to learn from his experience here and not micro manage the offense. I think if he sticks to just being Head Coach he could do well there.

You guys must be impressed with punts.

Yeah, it's not going to be easy coaching with Coughlin looking over his shoulder like Kilroy. Plus we all know how much Marrone loves interference and questioning of his actions.

Still I think he's got a chance.

I think marrone could do better in his second NFL opportunity, but a lot will depend on whether coughlin actually lets him do his job or tries to do it for him.

Well obviously this is Marrone's second chance and it's obviously obvious that he's going to try his best, obviously.

So the first two years he was there with him didn't count?

i think maybe youvare confusing fantasy football and real football. He was a fantasy darling because he threw a lot of garbage time tds and threw for a lot of yards. It didn't result in many wins though.

Maybe you're confusing good numbers with bad numbers.

can you really fix a qb this far into it (i know he's at least a 3rd year guy if not 4th)? I know guys like gannon were much better as they moved into their 30s, but at what point do you just move on? all this being said, i really don't know much about bortles career.

Tons of guys over the course of NFL history struggled before the light went on. Theismann, Plunkett, Bradshaw, and Alex Smith, to name a few.

You guys must be impressed with punts.

With that particular team I felt like if we made a team go 80 yards to score points on us they wouldn't succeed. The offense might have been anaemic but if you have a great defense and that is the way you are winning play field position and punt it away. That team was not built to get into shootouts but it was built to win tight ones.

I think the people who say "never punt over the halfway line the numbers etc etc etc" don't pay enough attention to the variables. When your offense is what is keeping you in a game (say the Bills v Dolphins at the end of last year) then you don't punt in overtime when it's 4th and 2. When your defense is your strength make the opposition go the length of the field on you - every time. I think Marrone made decisions that suited the team he had.

Edited by GunnerBill

Marrone finds odd ways to state things. Instead of just saying the usual coach cliche like "work on fundamentals", he comes up with rebuild foundation. Just weird, it's like he's trying to sound smart.

You would hate my draft notes then. I talk in a completely different language to conventional football speak :)

With that particular team I felt like if we made a team go 80 yards to score points on us they wouldn't succeed. The offense might have been anaemic but if you have a great defense and that is the way you are winning play field position and punt it away. That team was not built to get into shootouts but it was built to win tight ones.

I think the people who say "never punt over the halfway line the numbers etc etc etc" don't pay enough attention to the variables. When your offense is what is keeping you in a game (say the Bills v Dolphins at the end of last year) then you don't punt in overtime when it's 4th and 2. When your defense is your strength make the opposition go the length of the field on you - every time. I think Marrone made decisions that suited the team he had.

I agree to a point, but if you have a great defense then punting from an opponent's 37 yard line makes even less sense. You should be confident your defense won't allow a 63-yard drive, and you're only a few yards away from almost certain points. My recollection is that Marrone did that regularly.

You would hate my draft notes then. I talk in a completely different language to conventional football speak :)

I probably wouldn't hate your notes, I have found your observations to be fairly astute. Marrone not so much.

I agree to a point, but if you have a great defense then punting from an opponent's 37 yard line makes even less sense. You should be confident your defense won't allow a 63-yard drive, and you're only a few yards away from almost certain points. My recollection is that Marrone did that regularly.

Why would you risk it? Our running game was terrible, but we wanna bet on making a yard when we need to? When your strength is defense, you don't try to make it harder on them.

There's a reason why we won more games than we lost. What Marrone did actually worked. And I don't think we punted inside the 40 as much as you think we did. Especially when we needed a score.

Edited by FireChan

Why would you risk it? Our running game was terrible, but we wanna bet on making a yard when we need to? When your strength is defense, you don't try to make it harder on them.

There's a reason why we won more games than we lost. What Marrone did actually worked. And I don't think we punted inside the 40 as much as you think we did. Especially when we needed a score.

Huh? The Bills were 15-17 under Marrone. And that's including the 2014 season finale where the Cheaters didn't go all out.