Source: Bills Still Deciding on Watkins' 5th Year Option

5th Year Option on Sammy  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Exercise Sammy's 5th Year Option

• Yes. No Brainer
    • No. Too Injury Prone

they didn't release a statement. Sal asked someone in the org if the decision had been made yet, and the source said it hadn't. Same as 30 other teams, since only one has been announced (Aaron Donald).

Yeah, it could be nothing. I was taking it as an intentional leak.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It hasn't turned out to be a good trade but that doesn't mean it was a bad trade at the time. No one could have possibly foreseen his injury problems. He's obviously a beast when healthy. There's no way that if he does manage to put two straight fully healthy years together he's not a top ten type WR in this league. Especially on a team with a competent passing game.

Unless they think his foot isn't going to heal I think it's definitely worth the risk. His production hasn't been what we'd have hoped but when he's on the guy is phenomenal. Talent like that has been all too hard to find in Buffalo. Demaryius Thomas was a huge disappointment his first two years when he was struggling with injuries, and look how that turned out.

Just think of how we'd feel if we declined and lost him only to watch him fulfill his potential on another team.

Of course I'd pick it up. He certainly possesses talent, but that talent exceeds his production thus far. I'd like to keep him around and find out if he can stay healthy and bring his production into line with his talent. At this time there's no way I'd give him a long term deal, so picking up his option seems the best course of action.

He has shown flashes. I call him "ankle breaker" the way he can cut on his routes and make CB's look silly. Unfortunately his career is being ruined by injuries. Can't depend on him so might be time to move on.

He has shown flashes. I call him "ankle breaker" the way he can cut on his routes and make CB's look silly. Unfortunately his career is being ruined by injuries. Can't depend on him so might be time to move on.

Since he's still 23, his career has a long way to go. I hope he stays healthy and gets a HOF style streak going, unless it's on and AFCE team that is not the Bills. Edited by Augie

It hasn't turned out to be a good trade but that doesn't mean it was a bad trade at the time. No one could have possibly foreseen his injury problems. He's obviously a beast when healthy. There's no way that if he does manage to put two straight fully healthy years together he's not a top ten type WR in this league. Especially on a team with a competent passing game.

A rare occasion on which Metz and I agree 100%.

The only caveat I'll add is that I personally (as in my opinion, not stating as fact, don't ask for a !@#$ing link) think that WRs with a better sense of loyalty and dedication to team would play through some of the nicks and dings Sammy has sat out for.

I don't think he wants to be on the Bills at all. The reason ... that's for another thread that will come up eventually.

But yes ... with a halfway decent QB, Watkins plays 16 games and tears this league apart.

Cap figure could be a reason. I'd rather get Watkins inked to a 6 year deal prior to the end of his deal than pay him $13M base one year THEN have to spread another deal out over six years. The franchise tag is not THAT much higher than $13M.

This was exactly my thinking too.

For my money, the 2 best WRs in the NFL are Antonio Brown and Julio Jones.

Both played the same number of games through 4 NFL seasons as Watkins.

When did Sammy complete four season as an nfl wr. He was a rookie in 2014.

Ab was available for 53 games his first year. In 2012 he missed 4 games due to injury.so your not painting the complete picture. Although he only started 27 games he had 3630.

Jj played in 48 games his first four years amassing 4424 ap yards and 28 tds.

Ill be sure to revisit this topic st the end of this season. I cant put Sammy in an elite status when he hasnt shown he has the capability of being elite.