ESPN removes Sage Steele from NBA Countdown

dpberr

You do realize that "actual sports broadcasts" are what is making ESPN hemorrhage money, don't you? Broadcasting rights contracts have killed it ESPN, they have way overpaid and they over-saturated the market. Sports on tv used to be special, now it's every single night on 7 different channels. Should have kept it simple like the 90s:

12 am - 2am: 30 min - 1 hour shows focused on sports that are currently active - ex. baseball tonight, nhl tonight, nba tonight, etc.

2am - 12pm: SportsCenter. Record the 2am SC and replay it over and over again with pretty much all highlights of the day. Get rid of all the crap commentary, contributors and extra junk. Show me highlights, some interviews, top 10 plays, etc.

12pm - 4pm: Random recorded sports. Think world strongest man, ping pong, darts, curling, whatever.

4pm - 6pm: Various talk shows: PTI, Around the Horn, Up Close (remember when they actually did 30 min interviews with athletes). This is all the talk show crap this station needs.

6pm - 7pm: SportsCenter. Not this SC6 crap that is absolutely unwatchable. Best highlights from day before, news of the day (the business sides of sports really), and setting stage for biggest games of the night.

7pm - 11pm: Live sports (not same sport every single night...see College BB season and FB season currently - 2-3 nights per week max of same sport). Original programming (30 for 30 for example - this used to be every Tuesday and a lot of Fridays) etc.

If this was the schedule again, I know I would be watching a whole lot more. Instead, I get my sports fix from MLB Network, NFL Network, live games, and the internet.

I can't believe Disney is still keeping ESPN around. It's been hemorrhaging money for years.

It really just needs to be nothing but actual sports broadcasts and sportscenter. Y'know, the two things people actually turn to ESPN to see.

Sportscenter is dead. No one watches it. Mike & Mike / Lebatard / First take get way higher ratings than replaying sportscenter for 10 hours. The ad revenue makes up for the added cost of the shows. What ESPN is trying to pull off now is very hard due to the options you mentioned, if you want NFL talk, flip on NFL net, if you want MLB talk, there's a channel for that. Given how many options are available it's very difficult to pull off a broad sports network, but pretending it's 1995 is not going to be the thing to turn it around.

:nana:

This thread has nothing to do with football. But let me guess, you enjoy destroying the "safe places"...I've never seen you resist interjecting you're political views into football threads, it happens quite a bit. But you know carry on edge lord

This thread has nothing to do with football. But let me guess, you enjoy destroying the "safe places"...I've never seen you resist interjecting you're political views into football threads, it happens quite a bit. But you know carry on edge lord

Click on a different thread. No one cares

that was such a pu$$y move by ESPN. letting hank jr go.. thats when it became apparent they had an agenda

Agreed! Then they all bend over backwards trying to find ways to validate Kaepernick

Lebatard show is the goat sports show

What they said was Wade Phillips looks like a guy on the label of BBQ sauce.

Also

Roy Williams looks like a judge at the Westminster dog show who is giving the ribbon to a cocker spaniel handled by Brad Stevens

Russel Wilson looks like a dolphin trainer at SeaWorld

Agree espn is beyond lame. Ditka and Simmons got shown the door.

Can't believe they having axed Lebatard yet.

Ryan... I know you like Lebatard like I do. If people don't like it they will tell you on the show to get lost, most honest show there is. Also the polls are a mock of all the other shows redick poll question (and they say it). Last week they had one that asked if you wear socks during sex because Mike Ryan on the show does. Throw in Ron McGill from ZOO MIami and Greg Cote and best show on radio.

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

Ryan... I know you like Lebatard like I do. If people don't like it they will tell you on the show to get lost, most honest show there is. Also the polls are a mock of all the other shows redick poll question (and they say it). Last week they had one that asked if you wear socks during sex because Mike Ryan on the show does. Throw in Ron McGill from ZOO MIami and Greg Cote and best show on radio.

They don't get the show.

(It's my favorite sports show, only thing I listen to daily)

Edited by Chuck Wagon

.....when a once decent sports channel now employs the likes of Steven A(hole) Smith and Wrecks Ryan, with a taint of political correctness, pretty evident which direction the Disney Gang is headed......American Standard 1.5 gallon flush should do it.......

They don't get the show.

(It's my favorite sports show, only thing I listen to daily)

Same. Cote's back in my day and Stugotz's game notes are the best.

Lebatard's story about trying to give away a Big Mac combo in his 150,000 sports car was classic too

Mike Ryan ties the room together. Underrated funny guy.

What does this have to do with Buffalo Bills football?

As the OP on this particular thread, I chose to put it on the main board because ESPN, the entity, has been the subject of many threads over the years on the main board.

Besides, although she's known for covering the NBA today, she's been a beat reporter for the Bucs and Ravens prior to ESPN.

.....when a once decent sports channel now employs the likes of Steven A(hole) Smith and Wrecks Ryan, with a taint of political correctness, pretty evident which direction the Disney Gang is headed......American Standard 1.5 gallon flush should do it.......

Well I hope you and the rest of the baby boomers can adapt to drink your precious oil once we run out of water after we use it all flushing the byproducts of your McMonsanto, subsidized, corn and cow diet 1.5 gallons at a time. You couldn't find conservation in the dictionary with a native American guide.

Steven A is fine with me. He's an entertainer.

Well I hope you and the rest of the baby boomers can adapt to drink your precious oil once we run out of water after we use it all flushing the byproducts of your McMonsanto, subsidized, corn and cow diet 1.5 gallons at a time. You couldn't find conservation in the dictionary with a native American guide.

....thank God us oldtimers have you to lead us astray.......go hug a tree...........

I think ESPN should tell their personalities to shy away from politics on their air at least (Social media is a bit different but a word of caution should be issued.) Sports is the candy store, it is entertainment for the most part. Unless an athlete is doing something overtly political (Which turns into sports news that deserves commentary) then you don't need to interject something as divisive as politics into the conversation. We get enough of politics and news from the internet, social media, and traditional news media like TV and radio. When you tune into sports you do it to escape that, so an organization doing that isn't surprising.

My issue tends to be when standards aren't being applied equally. Organizations will often only crack down on political opinions that go against the general political opinion of the organization. A Left leaning organization will crack down harder on right wing political opinions among their talent and vice versa.

go to a safe space.

What is that even supposed to mean?

Its twitter except only separate, but still COMPLETELY equal to regular twitter if you believe the spin. It blows my mind that we're still seeing this type of thing in 2016. Simply unconscionable.

Its twitter except only separate, but still COMPLETELY equal to regular twitter if you believe the spin. It blows my mind that we're still seeing this type of thing in 2016. Simply unconscionable.

Without getting into politics I'd like to point out to you that it is 2017. Edited by 4merper4mer

I can't believe Disney is still keeping ESPN around. It's been hemorrhaging money for years.

It really just needs to be nothing but actual sports broadcasts and sportscenter. Y'know, the two things people actually turn to ESPN to see.

I think most of the 30 for 30's are good. Even if I'm not initially interested in the topic I find myself getting drawn in most of the time.

I am going to make this as perfectly clear as I can.

All this liberal/conservative political crap is neither allowed nor welcome on The Stadium Wall.

People hate it and it makes for a gawdawful crapfest of a forum that nobody wants to read.

If you feel compelled to bring your political baggage to TBD, you are to take it to the PPP section and nowhere else.

[This is an automated response]

The thread is no longer contributing positively to the community and therefore the discussion has been closed.

Thank you.