Uber finally coming to Buffalo this summer

YoloinOhio

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used Uber a bunch on a recent trip to Vegas, San Diego and Los Angeles. Awesome experience all three places.

We've used it all over, including Nashville where our son lives. It's about a $6 Uber ride into town, where parking was $12 for the first hour. Add in the risk of a DUI? Priceless! I went to Orlando a few weeks ago for the first round of the NCAA trounament, Uber was $5-6 every day, each way, again less than parking and allowed for some celebration! (Elite 8 is disappointing, but also great!) I hope to use it on a trip to WNY this season!

If you're in WNY and it's new to you, don't hesitate. I think you'll love it. I can't believe it took so long.

I use the crap out of Uber when traveling. Awesome service. Can't say enough good things about it. Makes it really easy and effortless to get around town when you are traveling in a distant city.

It is like 10X better than trying to get a taxi because you just request a ride on the app from wherever you are at and someone shows up in a couple minutes. No more waiting for a taxi. No more looking for a taxi. And the drivers have always been great.

This service is putting taxi's out of business because it is that much better. (at least it has been anywhere I have used it)

Just took it tonight in Cbus. Easiest, safest, most convenient thing ever.

Recent trip to Atlanta airport was $28 with Uber, return trip via taxi (because they frown on Uber at airport) was about $55. But beware of surge pricing, as it can be just as much as a cab. The cool thing is, they give you the estimate up front. As others have pointed out, Lyft goes to surge pricing a little later, so maybe look at both if you care. The average driver beats a taxi guy.

And dial up AOL is expected soon! Yippee!

LOL not that I want it, but Time Warner has pissed me off so many times over internet service that I've always said the day I could get DSL I would leave Time Warner. I still can't get DSL in Cheektowaga lol. Cheers for Uber!

Recent trip to Atlanta airport was $28 with Uber, return trip via taxi (because they frown on Uber at airport) was about $55. But beware of surge pricing, as it can be just as much as a cab. The cool thing is, they give you the estimate up front. As others have pointed out, Lyft goes to surge pricing a little later, so maybe look at both if you care. The average driver beats a taxi guy.

They do have surge pricing especially around public events like sporting events or trade shows or festivals or whatever. Still beats the crap out of a taxi. The best part is not having to look for one or call anybody. Just request on the app. Shows the fare. You agree. Driver shows up in 2 minutes. Love the fact that it shows the driver's location on the GPS map and how close they are to you so you can actually tell when the vehicle is pulling up. - Oh- that's our guy right there.

Whoever invented this service is a friggen genius. Hats off to them. Hope he/she is stupid rich from it. They deserve it. Only in Merica baby!

They do have surge pricing especially around public events like sporting events or trade shows or festivals or whatever. Still beats the crap out of a taxi. The best part is not having to look for one or call anybody. Just request on the app. Shows the fare. You agree. Driver shows up in 2 minutes. Love the fact that it shows the driver's location on the GPS map and how close they are to you so you can actually tell when the vehicle is pulling up. - Oh- that's our guy right there.

Whoever invented this service is a friggen genius. Hats off to them. Hope he/she is stupid rich from it. They deserve it. Only in Merica baby!

I have used it close to 100 times, and never a bad experience. Whoever thought of it contacted Mark Cuban regarding financing. Cuban balked, trying to determine a proper valuation. By the time Cuban called back, they guy said he had his money. Cuban admitted he messed up, and no one wins every time!

I'm actually more excited about my next trip to Buffalo. Seriously, the car rental is a big component I can skip, which makes me more likey to come. I didn't want to drive much anyway.

Amazingly Uber is a huge financial mess.

Losing billions.

It's an amazing service.

Amazon lost money for almost 2 decades before it finally turned a profit ...I'm sure Uber will have A similar fate.

In Madison, Wisconsin Uber has been responsible for multiple sexual harassments, and at least two traffic deaths. Surge pricing cost 108 dollars to a hotel, so I called a cab which cost 23 dollars on the way back. Be careful what you wish for.

Surge pricing can be WAY more than a cab. Edited by metzelaars_lives

I created an account for my son who is a young adult to make sure there is never an issue of drinking and driving. He has only used once, as he is the Uber for his friends and charges them to drive them home. I can't believe you guys haven't had it for these years. I use all the time for work when I travel vs a cab.

I use ridesharing all the time in DC and Philly when there for work. It rules. Time for WNY to join the 21st century. Cabs are horses and buggies, only smellier and way less reliable.

Arrived by train in DC a few months back, my phone died so I couldn't call an Uber. So I went to the taxi stand at Union Station. Naturally, the cab driver's credit card machine was "broken" so he could only take cash, which meant a stop at an ATM on the way to my hotel.

Cash never changes hands, one of the best things about ridesharing.

In Madison, Wisconsin Uber has been responsible for multiple sexual harassments, and at least two traffic deaths. Surge pricing cost 108 dollars to a hotel, so I called a cab which cost 23 dollars on the way back. Be careful what you wish for.

Oh so nobody has died in a taxi cab I guess? Gimme a break. It's a 1000 times better and if you're implying it's more expensive than a cab then that would be a first for me, using it for almost 50 rides so far nationwide. It's not even close.

Many times I've dealt with the surge, especially during all the woes the D.C. Metro subway system was experiencing last year. A couple of times while I was in town fires in the metro tunnels led to 2x, 3x, I even saw 5x surge pricing.

But you know what? It's communicated to you clearly ahead of time. You know exactly what you're going pay when you request a car. So on those rare occasions when demand outpaces supply, you pay more. That's how a free market is supposed to work.

And like nobody ever got sexually harassed in a cab. At least with ridesharing, I know who the driver is, they know who I am, both our phones indicate where we are via GPS, and again, no cash changes hands.

Ridesharing rules.

oh thank god. it's taken a long time but better late than never. it would be nice just to go out to dinner, have a couple of drinks, and not have to worry about driving. if i get sexually harassed a couple of times along the way, so be it. it's the price i'm willing to pay.

edit: i breezed through the article, so maybe i missed it, but wasn't uber being passed dependent on the budget getting passed on friday night...which didn't happen? so does the budget have to be passed to make this final? as the article mentioned, it could take at least 90 days to get uber running after being passed, so couldn't this just drag on for a while?

Edited by teef

Lol so no taxi has ever been in an accident or cabbie has ever done wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh thank god. it's taken a long time but better late than never. it would be nice just to go out to dinner, have a couple of drinks, and not have to worry about driving. if i get sexually harassed a couple of times along the way, so be it. it's the price i'm willing to pay.

edit: i breezed through the article, so maybe i missed it, but wasn't uber being passed dependent on the budget getting passed on friday night...which didn't happen? so does the budget have to be passed to make this final? as the article mentioned, it could take at least 90 days to get uber running after being passed, so couldn't this just drag on for a while?

it sounds like it is dependent on the agreement that they expect to happen but hasn't yet. Here is a pretty good article from the other day.

http://www.wgrz.com/mb/news/local/new-york/new-details-emerge-on-uber-lyft-deal-in-ny/426875035

Amen. I can only hope that my complaining on Twitter and TBD helped the cause in some, small way! :beer:

As much as complaining about cheating by Pats* to NFL probably.

Will you send a post card?

No (1) probably cannot afford surge pricing and (2) and do not have a "smart" phone.

Gee really? Uber drivers get in accidents just like everyone else? How shocking.

Funny how you never heard about taxi drivers sexually harassing anyone. I guess that's never happened before.

yes. Uber to Buffalo within 90 days.

I wonder how long it takes to build an adequate pool of drivers. If you are unfamiliar with Uber and think this is a really good thing...you are wrong.... this is a great thing!

We recently paid $28 to get TO the airport with Uber, and $55 to get home via taxi. With surge pricing it was about the same price, but the experience was far superior using Uber.

I wonder how long it takes to build an adequate pool of drivers. If you are unfamiliar with Uber and think this is a really good thing...you are wrong.... this is a great thing!

We recently paid $28 to get TO the airport with Uber, and $55 to get home via taxi. With surge pricing it was about the same price, but the experience was far superior using Uber.

use it fairly frequently here and love it. Always wish I had it when visiting "home" -- very excited to have it in Buffalo when I'm there

YOU GUYS in BFLo are the NYCity folk to Da Yoopers up in The UP... We are like kindred spirits, bonded by snow, to these guys, big city slickers in BFLo!

Will it be like this when Uber picks you up?

Hey... I am from BFLo... Born (@ Sister's Hospital) & raised... I can laugh @ myself, upbringing... ;-)

Or like this:

Do they have Uber in the UP. I betcha it is quite an adventure in winter. Just for schits and giggles, I will fly into BFLo after the biggest snow storm possible... To hell with "surge pricing"... ;-) ... Get an Uber... Then be hyper-critical when dude (or especially dudette) is driving all wrong in the snow! "BRO! Give me the damn wheel, you are doing it all wrong!"

:-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois