Bills What If: Brady Didn't End Up With The Patriots

corta765

if marcia doesnt magically flutter into their arms bill remains the painfully average sub-.500 coach he always was and is soon fired, and they are still the joke franchise they always were

the smartest thing bill can do is retire when she does to avoid being exposed as a definite non-genius

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills What If: Brady Didn't End Up With The Patriots

#1- Bledsoe would never have been traded to the bills

#2 -Brady may never have enjoyed the STABILITY of belichick's coaching success and longevity.

#3 - highly likely he wouldn't be in conversation for G.O.A.T.

#4- possible circumstances play out he never gets a fair shot to start.

What if the USFL never folded?

Frank Reich would have played a lot more games in the NFL and the Bills likely would have drafted a QB in 1990 to go with their new HC as Marv would have never got us to the playoffs. Another What IF that I find fun is what if we had drafted Rob Johnson in 1995 instead of Todd Collins....?

Lots of speculation and far to many variables for even 5% of this scenario to have actually taken place. I am having a hard time trying to come up with a decent reply that could actually contribute to this thread.

Now with that said, it is the offseason and there isnt much going on. This was actually a really fun topic that could generate some off the wall discussion that could go a million different ways. I definitely have to give you credit for doing the research and putting in alot of work on your thread. It was an entertaining read and I will check back later to see what else has been contributed to the discussion.

I believe Belichick and the Patriots would go on to have prolonged success. Maybe not to the degree they have.... but pretty good. Belichick is an innovator and visionary.

Brady, IMO, would not have turned out the way he has. I think he has developed into who he is thanks to the organization. if he gets drafted by the Cardinals, I dont think we know who he is right now.

Lots of speculation and far to many variables for even 5% of this scenario to have actually taken place. I am having a hard time trying to come up with a decent reply that could actually contribute to this thread.

Now with that said, it is the offseason and there isnt much going on. This was actually a really fun topic that could generate some off the wall discussion that could go a million different ways. I definitely have to give you credit for doing the research and putting in alot of work on your thread. It was an entertaining read and I will check back later to see what else has been contributed to the discussion.

Thanks I honestly just did it for fun because there literally is zilch right now on the football side, it was never meant to be taken with much seriousness that this is even remotely close to what happens. Probably the only takeaway from this is that the Bills still would've stunk a bunch just because organizationally they were (still are? haha) so disjointed in the mid to late 2000s. Brady and the Pats probably did stop a playoff apperaence or two, but the team drafted so awful and lost so many impact players on defense during the 2000s because they didn't pay up.

It was interesting though looking back on some seasons to see what the rest of the AFC East was. I honestly forgot Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5 in 2008.

I believe Belichick and the Patriots would go on to have prolonged success. Maybe not to the degree they have.... but pretty good. Belichick is an innovator and visionary.

Brady, IMO, would not have turned out the way he has. I think he has developed into who he is thanks to the organization. if he gets drafted by the Cardinals, I dont think we know who he is right now.

BB & the Pats I really believed would've won at least a SB. Bledsoe was still decent enough as a QB and BB's defense hit its peak during the 01-07 period where they were typically a Top 5 unit that shut down a ton of teams.

As for Brady yea who knows. I really believe there is virtually no QB who is not at least some product of his team and environment. Given how San Diego doesn't spend and isn't respected by players I wonder if Peyton would've won as much out there. Polian found him enough tools on offense and had a quality coach with Dungy.

Disclaimer: This is for fun and I did my best to consider a million different factors with this. I did my best researching the 2000 draft on who would've wanted to take a flyer on Brady, how a Bills win over NE may or may not have altered their season, what the AFC may have looked like, and how Brady himself may have done outside of the division.

2000 NFL Draft:

As we all know Brady famously was a sixth round pick. The last QB taken before Brady was Spergeon Wynn by Cleveland (of course) 16 picks earlier. For the purpose of this exercise though we will only consider teams after the Patriots pick at 199 as places he could end up going. The remaining picks in the 6th round went as followed:

6* 200 New Orleans Saints Sherrod Gideon WR Southern Mississippi C-USA 6* 201 New England Patriots David Nugent DE Purdue Big Ten 6* 202 Washington Redskins Todd Husak QB Stanford Pac-10 6* 203 San Diego Chargers Damen Wheeler CB Colorado Big 12 6* 204 Pittsburgh Steelers Jason Gavadza TE Kent State MAC 6* 205 San Diego Chargers JaJuan Seider QB Florida A&M MEAC 6* 206 Cleveland Browns Brad Bedell OT Colorado Big 12

Two QB's are picked after him and both were QB needy teams with the Redskins starting that season Brad Johnson with Jeff George at backup and San Diego dealing with Ryan Leafs implosion. Cleveland had already picked a QB so they would be out and New Orleans had youngster Aaron Brooks at the time who would lead them to the division crown in 2000 leaving Pittsburgh as the only other location. Pittsburgh would've been interesting because they had Kordell Stewart who still had a lot of intrigue but not much after him.

In my opinion he doesn't make it to Pittsburgh where with Bill Cowher Brady could've created a potential dynasty again for the Steelers. Instead he does end up going to the Redskins and into the NFC.

2000 NFL Season

Nothing would really change here for the Buffalo Bills or Brady because Brady didn't play.The Bills continue their QB controversy and settle on Rob Johnson as their guy over Flutie. Brady may get in for part of the game in 2000 because the Redskins collapse from a 7-4 start to finish 8-8 and all three Redskin QBs including Husak saw action.

AFC East Title: Miami Dolphins

2001 NFL Season

The Bills have an abysmal first season just as they did in 2001 with Greg Williams missing the playoffs at 3-13. The Patriots flounder at 7-9 when rookie QB Sage Rosenfels is thrown into action (Rosenfels was selected by WSH in the 4th rnd by WSH in 2001, NE picks him in the 4th instead) after Drew Bledsoe goes down for a portion of the season. The Redskins meanwhile see 2nd year QB Tom Brady lead them to an unexpected 11-5 division title. They lose though in Chicago due to a controversial incompletion by Bears QB Jim Miller in a heavy snow storm which setups a GW kick for the Bears. The Rams win their second SB in 3 years over Pittsburgh

AFC East Title: Miami Dolphins

2002 NFL Season

The Bills in need of a QB badly and wanting to make a splash sign free agent QB Jake Plummer who had some success with the Arizona Cardinals. The Bills split their games with the Patriots beating the Pats at home and win their first division crown since 1995 with a 10-6 record (They beat the Plummer-less Broncos in the game they lost in 2002). The Bills win their first playoff game since 1995 at home against the Colts in a tight 21-13 affair before losing to the Raiders. The Patriots squeeze out a Wildcard birth with Bledsoe but lose in the Wildcard to Pittsburgh. Brady and the Skins lose to the 49ers out in San Fran. Bucs win the SB.

AFC East Title: Buffalo Bills

2003 NFL Season

Buffalo slips to 7-9 as they split their games with the Patriots, but fail to improve on the previous season as the offense lacks the same production with Peerless Price gone. The Patriots on the other hand dominate the division at 13-3 with a shutdown defense and solid offense to win their first Super Bowl over the St Louis Rams and Kurt Warner.

AFC East Title: New England Patriots

2004 NFL Season

The Buffalo Bills win the division title at 11-5 over the Patriots who see a decline in Bledsoe's production and just make it in the playoffs with each team splitting a game in the head to head. Buffalo loses at home to a Peyton Manning led offense that steamrolls its way to Mannings first Super Bowl.

2005 NFL Season

The Buffalo Bills fail to make the playoffs when they lose core defensive pieces finishing 6-10. They are swept by the New England Patriots who see a decent season by Drew Bledsoe who win a weak AFC at 10-6. The Steelers win the SB, head coach Greg Williams is fired after the season due to organizational differences and the defenses failure to integrate younger pieces.

2006 NFL Season

The Buffalo Bills sneak into the playoffs at 9-7 with new head coach Dick Jauron who improves the Bills defense enough to get back in the playoffs where they lose to the division champion New York Jets. The Bills sweep the Patriots who fall down 7-9 due to Bledsoe's dwindling QB skills despite a strong defense, putting in rookie Jay Cutler at the end of the year. The San Diego Chargers break the drought and end up winning the Super Bowl after defeating Peyton Manning's Colts in a thrilling AFC Title game.

AFC East Title: NY Jets

2007 NFL Season

The Buffalo Bills miss the playoffs at 9-7 with Jake Plummer showing his age and is replaced late in the season by Trent Edwards. The Bills can only split with the rising Patriots who take the division at 11-5. The Superbowl is an upset by Eli Mannings Giants over the defending champion Chargers.

2008 NFL Season

The Bills finish a disappointing 8-8 after a quick start out of the gate and split the season series against the Patriots. The Patriots finish at 9-7 out of the playoffs behind the Miami Dolphins wildcat attack at 11-5. The Super Bowl sees a Washington Redskin Brady led squad defeat the Steelers in an all time classic.

AFC East Title Miami Dolphins

2009 NFL Season

The Bills finish at 7-9 as recent drafts have limited talent to the roster and hoped QB of the future Trent Edwards doesn't develop any further. The Bills win the opening night game on Monday Night to split the series against the Patriots again. Head Coach Dick Jauron is shown the door at the end of the year after failing to get the team to playoff for 3 straight years. The New York Jets win the division crown with the Patriots sneaking in as a wild card team and going to the Super Bowl where they lose to New Orleans.

2010 NFL Season

With new head coach Chan Gailey they Bills crater at 4-12 as they get swept also in the season series against the Patriots. The AFC East crown is taken again by the Jets who just beat out the Patriots late in the season. The Super Bowl still ends with GB beating Pitt. The Packers wild card run starts with an upset of the Brady led Redskins who lead the NFL in scoring.

2011 NFL Season

With a draft that provides some needed talent back to the roster the Bills go 7-9 with a late season win in New England for the season sweep. The AFC East is won at 9-7 by the New York Jets despite mercurial play at QB. Tom Brady's Washington Redskins defeat the Baltimore Ravens in the title game for his second Super Bowl victory.

2012 NFL Season

The Bills break a six year playoff drought by finishing 10-6 tied and winning the division crown over the Patriots who make it in as a wildcard team as both teams split the matchup against each other. The Bills win their first playoff game since 2004 at home in the wildcard against the Patriots. The Bills go on to lose in Denver 28-17 against the Manning led Broncos. The Ravens avenge their previous Super Bowl loss to the Redskins and Brady to win their second title.

2013 NFL Season

The Bills regress from the previous season at 7-9 splitting the season series with New England. Ryan Fitzpatricks flaws show against a harder schedule of teams despite an improved defense.The Bills enter the offseason knowing they need to draft a QB at some point and cut Fitzpatrick. The AFC East is taken by the New England Patriots. The Super Bowl sees Peyton's Broncos fall to the Seahawks.

2014 NFL Season

The Bills draft Teddy Bridgewater in the 1st round who leads the Bills to a 11-5 division title. The Bills split again with the Patriots who also make the post season but lose on a late Jay Cutler INT in the wildcard. The Bills make it the AFC title game against the Colts thanks to their #1 defense. Andrew Luck and Indy defeat Buffalo as they head to the Super Bowl. They lose to the Seahawks on a last second running TD from the 2 yard line by former Bills RB Marshawn Lynch.

2015 NFL Season

A highly competitive AFC see the Bills make the playoffs as a wildcard as the Jets take the AFC East Title. A favorable schedule and strong offense help the Bills to a 10-6 record. The Bills sweep the Patriots in their two matchups as Cutler gets injured and the Patriots have to play rookie Jimmy Garrapollo who is steady in his first season. The Bills lose their Wildcard matchup against Cincinnati thanks to a miss field goal at the end. Denver defeats Carolina in Peytons final game to win the Superbowl.

AFC East Title: New York Jets

2016 NFL Season

The Bills hamstrung by cap space see their defense regress and the team fall to a disappointing 7-9 record that gets Chan Gailey fired. Bridgewater lacks help at WR as he and Lesean McCoy have to carry too much of the load on offense resulting in injuries that cost each 2 games on the season. The Bills also are swept by a reloaded New England team with Garrapollo leading a dynamic passing attack and a very strong defense. The Patriots fall in the Superbowl against Tom Brady's Washington Redskins who win a third title with him as QB with TD drive late.

Final Numbers:

6 Playoff Appereances

4 Division Crowns

As someone that grew up reading Marvel Comics "What If?" series, I really enjoyed this. Thanks for the post.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Question: Does Brady develop into GOAT if not for being drafted by the Patriots?

No, he benefits from a system that utilizes his strengths. I doubt any other coach would have implemented the system. Brady can not extend plays that some other QBs can.

Edited by BfloBillsFan

This whole thing is a trick Question..

Brady was a compensatory pick which as we all know don't matter. Pats win 5 superbowls anyway. The only change is Papa John's drops Peyton Manning as their spokesperson in favor of the up-and-coming superbowl 51 winning QB and MVP Jacoby Brissett (Garoppolo watches from the bench after getting a full year suspension for deflate-gate because he's no Tom Brady)