Football Isn't Rocket Science Just Common Sense !!

T master

Some of the decisions that come out of the Bills front office sometimes just don't make any sense !

Last year we had 2 O lineman that were at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to performance, one did great the other was one of the worst in the league !

But the Bills signed the worst first & are dragging their feet on the better of the 2 ??

Jordon Mills ranked something like 48th last year when it came to RT's in the NFL & he was THE weakest link on the Bills O line but the front office signed him almost immediately (does he have some dirt on Whaley)

Then on the other side of the coin is R.Groy which has been with the Bills for 2 years & when pushed into action did a great job plus his versatility trumps Mills hands down yet the Bills are dragging their feet on matching the Rams deal even given E.Wood injury past & the fact that he is in the last year of his contract .

Also if Whaley were to consider restructuring Wood's contract (if he can) given all that surrounds Wood (cap hit, injury history, age) they could have both lineman Wood for the last year of his contract for less money & Groy for 2 years for as much as it would cost for Wood ($7 mill + cap hit for this year) for both or slightly more than what they are paying Wood !

I know football isn't rocket science but why are the Bills signing all of these second tier players & a guy like this that has proven his worth to the team with his versatility Why are they taking so long to bring him back ??

TD Mike will be the next that they let walk because of the same type of situation ...

Do we ever wonder why the Pats win our division even year look no further than these types of situations !

I've often found that it's easier for people on the outside, like us fans, to see issues more clearly than people on the inside. That's true in the business I'm in as well. I asked some outsiders to critique my work/me a year ago. Not fun to hear, but it helped. Not sure our front office wants an autopsy

Everything seems easy to the non-expert, but when someone works in a field at a professional level, they see that it's far more complicated than they imagined before. In short, until you know more about something, you don't realize how little you actually know about it.

Fixed it for you

To think people who post on message board know more than people that actually do this for a real living is pretty laughable.

I've often found that it's easier for people on the outside, like us fans, to THINK WE see issues more clearly than people on the inside. That's true in the business I'm in as well. I asked some outsiders to critique my work/me a year ago. Not fun to hear, but it helped. Not sure our front office wants an autopsy

Some of the decisions that come out of the Bills front office sometimes just don't make any sense !

Last year we had 2 O lineman that were at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to performance, one did great the other was one of the worst in the league !

But the Bills signed the worst first & are dragging their feet on the better of the 2 ??

Jordon Mills ranked something like 48th last year when it came to RT's in the NFL & he was THE weakest link on the Bills O line but the front office signed him almost immediately (does he have some dirt on Whaley)

Then on the other side of the coin is R.Groy which has been with the Bills for 2 years & when pushed into action did a great job plus his versatility trumps Mills hands down yet the Bills are dragging their feet on matching the Rams deal even given E.Wood injury past & the fact that he is in the last year of his contract .

Also if Whaley were to consider restructuring Wood's contract (if he can) given all that surrounds Wood (cap hit, injury history, age) they could have both lineman Wood for the last year of his contract for less money & Groy for 2 years for as much as it would cost for Wood ($7 mill + cap hit for this year) for both or slightly more than what they are paying Wood !

I know football isn't rocket science but why are the Bills signing all of these second tier players & a guy like this that has proven his worth to the team with his versatility Why are they taking so long to bring him back ??

TD Mike will be the next that they let walk because of the same type of situation ...

Do we ever wonder why the Pats win our division even year look no further than these types of situations !

Things I would have done just in the last two years, tender hogan to a second, tender Mike g to a second, and tender groy to a second. I don't care if it "hurts their feelings," they understand it's a business.

This offseason has some pretty glaring holes I'm not sure how obvious it is to the Front Office but, you can not argue that we didn't lose talent at wr, lb, corner, and safety, and so far we signed a couple 3 4 or 5 receivers some hybrid safeties(love those pickups), a couple fbs to replace the other, and 0 help at corner(you know those guys that help us stop Tom brady).

Try and explain how this makes us any better going into next year, I love being a Homer, but these obvious moves are being overlooked and OP is right in questioning it.

Edited by BuffaloSol

Everything seems easy to the non-expert, but when someone works in a field at a professional level, they see that it's far more complicated than they imagined before. In short, until you know more about something, you don't realize how little you actually know about it.

I agree with this. I used to be an army officer. Now I'm a businessman. In both fields, the critiques of outsiders were often laughable. That's why I'm careful to criticize the work of professionals in other fields.

Football is a little different, because we can clearly see the results on the field. But I will never pretend to know as much about football personnel as any scout - or about schemes as a coach. These guys have years and years of experience that ought to be respected.

I suspect if we sat in meeting rooms with Dough Whaley and his staff, and learned everything they knew, we'd end up agreeing with 80%+ of their decisions and would respect the other 20%. Regardless of the percentages, I'm sure it would be an eye-opening experience for any fan.

Common sense would dictate a starting RT is more important than a backup center. I like Groy and hope they match. I could be talked into keeping him and letting Wood go.

I would put GLenn at RT if Kujo is healthy and still plays at a high level at LT.

It would also help if Henderson didn't get sick and use the illness as a reason to smoke pot without permission.

Fixed it for you

To think people who post on message board know more than people that actually do this for a real living is pretty laughable.

This times a million... It's more than pretty laughable even.

While that's true, think of this, I could have ran the bills for 17 years with the same result. So could you have.

Edited by Commsvet11

Fixed it for you

If you look at the poor organizations around the league it is not at all unrealistic to think that a hack outsider could do better at many of the aspects of the jobs than the so-called pros do.

Any person with half a brain and any common sense would not have drafted EJ Manuel where he was drafted.The entire population of Tallahassee would have told you that EJ was not that good.

So it is not laughable at all to think that posters on a message board would know better than the so-called pros of The Dolphins,The Bills,The Jets,The Browns,The Lions etc etc.

No, that's not quite how it works, you had better know a heck of a lot more than people not making 6 or 7 figures to do your job.