Today I Learned....PartII

Just as a measure of how insane a shot that is: He's hitting a target about the size of a pie plate at two miles, which is an accuracy about four times better than your typical match-grade rifle and ammo available (and about ten times better than your typical military rifle.) And a bullet over that distance will drop about three hundred yards. Which means he's not firing at the target, he's firing at a point a quarter-mile above the target and dropping the bullet onto it.

And he probably had to take between five and ten shots, just to get the range and wind deflection.

It's an insane shot.

My friend was a Sniper and he told just about the process.

This guy was probably aiming at a target 20 feet away from the terrorist.

Just as a measure of how insane a shot that is: He's hitting a target about the size of a pie plate at two miles, which is an accuracy about four times better than your typical match-grade rifle and ammo available (and about ten times better than your typical military rifle.) And a bullet over that distance will drop about three hundred yards. Which means he's not firing at the target, he's firing at a point a quarter-mile above the target and dropping the bullet onto it.

And he probably had to take between five and ten shots, just to get the range and wind deflection.

You left out the curve of the earth at that distance... don't skimp on details.

You left out the curve of the earth at that distance... don't skimp on details.

Curvature of earth

Funny. I said the same to a coworker when we were talking about it.

5 to 10 shots at 10 seconds bullet travel plus sight timing

The bad guy must have been asleep on his feet

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Today I Learned...that the Blues Brothers is a movie and it doesn't work in real life:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/news/2017/06/22/vehicle-gets-stuck-opening-drawbridge/418984001/

It would've worked if he had a cop motor, cop tires, cop suspension, and cop shocks.

And if they were on a mission from God.

... with a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, and wearing sunglasses.

... with a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, and wearing sunglasses.

Forgot the most important part: "It's dark and they are 106 miles from Chicago."

"Up north" but some how there is an Ohio state flag in a scene. Ohio-Indiana line is 170 miles from Chicago. 106 puts them just short of Lafayette, Indiana. I always thought "Bob's Country Bunker" was up in Wisconsin or just past Rockford, IL.

From Reddit:

"These are also guys who think the best way to raise a tax payment for an orphanage is to commit a string of felonies across the state in order to put on a blues concert... in a state where church run orphanages don't pay taxes.

Let's be generous, though, and just say geography isn't their strong point.

That is a valid point.

Then again, it's Illinois..."

LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

"These are also guys who think the best way to raise a tax payment for an orphanage is to commit a string of felonies across the state in order to put on a blues concert... in a state where church run orphanages don't pay taxes.

LoL...

Orphanages pay taxes - just not property in some states. They need to pay unemployment and SS taxes for employees. I was once stiffed on this for company claimed I was a contractor and tax man came after me.

Orphanages pay taxes - just not property in some states. They need to pay unemployment and SS taxes for employees. I was once stiffed on this for company claimed I was a contractor and tax man came after me.

I understand. It was qualitatively expressed this way:

"...in a state where..."

Now, don't get me started on "Catholic Charities"'... Not sure if true but I heard once that they are one of the biggest land owners in the City of BFLo. Could that be true? :-(

That's unusual. Typically that happens the other way around: contractor doesn't pay their self-employment tax, and the IRS crawls up the company's ass with a proctoscope.

That's unusual. Typically that happens the other way around: contractor doesn't pay their self-employment tax, and the IRS crawls up the company's ass with a proctoscope.

Yea company produced some false document that they claimed I signed saying I was independent contractor and responsible for all taxes, insurance, liability, etc. I signed some paperwork but that was not it. It appears my signature was forged from another document which I showed them on working rules, etc. The company had declared bankruptcy when IRS went after them and IRS checked with other ex-employees and found same thing. I think the company officer was arrested for tax fraud afterwards for company went out of business and number disconnected. The employees they still had went to another company owned by his relative.

I knew you'd say that.

Somewhere out there, someone's thinking "Why isn't this thread named "Today I learned something DC Tom already knew...?" not realizing it's implied.

What's my favorite color?

And if you get lucky.....how many fingers am I holding up?

Blue. And none.

I'm glad you were so quick (words she rarely says), because my arms were getting fatigued! Blue is correct! But you'd have to be more specific. Navy? Turquoise? Carolina baby blue? And two was the right answer, one on each hand! Somewhere towards the middle. :)

Burnt sienna. And none, you are holding up your thumb.

:-)

LMAO. I was typing this when you were. I almost said: "powder blue"

Ha!

Blue is statistically the most common "favorite color." So it's the answer you'd expect. And if we know anything about statistics on PPP, it's that anything that isn't the expected value is error. So Augie's favorite color is blue, and if he says it isn't, he's wrong. QED.

As for the number of fingers he's holding up...I'm pretty damned sure that he wasn't standing around with his fingers in the air waiting for me to post, so I'm highly confident that at the time of my post he was holding up zero fingers. Alternately, at the time of his post...he was using his fingers to type, ergo holding up zero fingers.

I'm glad you were so quick (words she rarely says), because my arms were getting fatigued! Blue is correct! But you'd have to be more specific. Navy? Turquoise? Carolina baby blue? And two was the right answer, one on each hand! Somewhere towards the middle. :)

See above. You were not holding up two fingers while typing.

Ask my wife, I'm pretty much a one fingered pecker. Oh, that sounds bad.....

And it was the number of fingers at the time of your response we were counting...

OK, so blue and none was obvious. What's my youngest child's middle name. This gets tougher with each round. :)