Today I Learned....PartII

TIL the meaning of coins at a grave site

A penny is left for a fallen service member to pay your respects

A nickel is left for a fallen service member by somebody who went thru boot camp with them

A dime is left for a fallen service member by somebody who served with them

A quarter is left for a fallen service member by somebody who was there when they fell

TIL the goddam price of pulp and paperboard has gone up $50/ton and as a result produce boxes are getting a 9% increase across the board effective July 1.

Thinking of going plastic next year.

it's been skyrocketing since 2008. 2010 it caught on fire.

it's been skyrocketing since 2008. 2010 it caught on fire.

We had to stop using waxed boxes because Whole Foods and other like minded institutions can't recycle them, so I'm thinking plastic is totally on the table. They print out nicer too.

We had to stop using waxed boxes because Whole Foods and other like minded institutions can't recycle them, so I'm thinking plastic is totally on the table. They print out nicer too.

That's been clear to me since I saw The Graduate.

:)

That's been clear to me since I saw The Graduate.

:)

been clear to me since crystal Pepsi. That clear! Also since I saw Its A Wonderful Life when plastics were just taking off at that factory in Buffalo

TIL I learned Gugny's cat trick.

TIL I learned Turkey eggs should be between 101.1-105.1 degrees. and survive less than 20% of the time in the wild.

We get Canadian geese nesting everywhere @ work....

This was a bad year... About 15 eggs have been abandoned and left for "duds."

Bald eagles were abundant though... Counted about a handful for USACE sighting reports. This condidering it's in the industrial part of SouthChicago and SuperFund sites nearby & dead 40 years ago:

"A majority of Bald Eagles nest in Alaska and remote areas of Canada. A small number nest in the United States in areas where isolation can still be maintained. Major nesting areas are concentrated in: the Far West, (Alaska, the San Juan Islands off the coast of Washington, as well as Washington, Oregon, and northern California); the Upper Midwest (central and northern Minnesota, northern Wisconsin and upper Michigan); and the East Coast (Maine, the Chesapeake Bay area, and Florida).

During winter months, bald eagles are widely scattered throughout much of the continental U.S. Substantial numbers may be found along the Upper Mississippi River and its larger tributaries. Smaller concentrations may be found in other areas, including the deserts of the West and Southwest."

Swans... Only seen a few this year...

TIL the goddam price of pulp and paperboard has gone up $50/ton and as a result produce boxes are getting a 9% increase across the board effective July 1.

Thinking of going plastic next year.

Have you considered bags/containers made from plant materials? But I am not clear on their pricing comparison but if paper/pulp keeps increasing perhaps this could be considered as an option. This is one of them but there are many others: http://www.worldcentric.org/

My wife uses them (or similar) for utensils, plates, take out containers, etc. for her mobile food trailer. It costs more than plastic but she uses "everything is compostable", "taste not waste", etc. in her marketing

TIL the meaning of coins at a grave site

A penny is left for a fallen service member to pay your respects

A nickel is left for a fallen service member by somebody who went thru boot camp with them

A dime is left for a fallen service member by somebody who served with them

A quarter is left for a fallen service member by somebody who was there when they fell

During a visit to Arlington a small Confederate flag was planted in front of a grave, I took a pic and found out that it was a Union soldier's place of rest. Is this a gross desecration to do this to him?

During a visit to Arlington a small Confederate flag was planted in front of a grave, I took a pic and found out that it was a Union soldier's place of rest. Is this a gross desecration to do this to him?

Maybe it was the great-great grand nephew getting back @ Them:

"Like my brother above me, who took a rebel stand

He was just eighteen, proud and brave, but a Yankee laid him in his grave"

;-)

Today I learned how to make a robo dialer hang up on you

Got a call for one of those free fantastic vacation giveaways. When it got to the part where they start asking questions I changed the subject to Trump.

After a few Trump redirects the robo dialer hung up on me :lol:

That was actually common. Submarines were stationed for "lifeguard" duty before major air strikes. I think the record for aviators saved was something like 23 in a single patrol. And given that submarines didn't usually associate with surface ships much (as all surface ships considered submarines "enemy" first - at least one US sub was certainly lost to US Navy depth charges), those aviators usually stayed on board for a month or more until a friendly port was reached.

On a related note: aircraft carriers always had a destroyer assigned as "plane guard" during flight operations, to fish air crew out of the ocean after a failed takeoff or landing (which wasn't uncommon). As destroyers were small and thus rather spartan, whereas carriers were comparatively large and luxurious, it was standard practice for destroyers to "ransom" pilots back to the carriers for five gallons of ice cream a head (as carriers had ice cream makers on board). So if you want to know how much a trained Navy fighter pilot was worth in World War 2...about $160 worth of Chunky Monkey and Cherry Garcia, in modern terms.

Now you've learned TWO things today.

Are you ever going to learn something I don’t already know?

The Mongol eradication of Kwharazm was...frightening. They annihilated an advanced culture that was a couple thousand years old.

The region still hasn't recovered from it.

Are you ever going to learn something I don’t already know?

The Mongol eradication of Kwharazm was...frightening. They annihilated an advanced culture that was a couple thousand years old.

The region still hasn't recovered from it.

Hello?

How "advanced" could they be if they couldn't figure out the ramifications of slaughtering a Mongol peace delegation?

Hello?

How "advanced" could they be if they couldn't figure out the ramifications of slaughtering a Mongol peace delegation?

It's actually a little more complicated, too...Genghis Khan first sent a trade delegation, a caravan full of loot from China. When they got to the first city on the frontier (Otrar), the governor of Otrar - Inalchuq - said "Hey, loot!" and killed the merchants and stole everything. So Genghis, in a display of remarkable patience, sent an embassy to the Shah Mohammed II, asking for Inalchuq's head and the return of the treasure - basically saying "We don't blame you, we're just assuming your underling is being a stupid ****. So take care of him and, hey, no harm, no foul." The Shah Mohammed II responded by beheading two of the envoys, and shaving the head of the third (a grave insult to Mongols of the time) and sending him back with the heads of the other two.

To quote a movie: he chose...poorly. Genghis Khan went through Khwarezm like Might Taco and Genny Cream Ale through your intestinal tract. He had Inalchuq killed by pouring molten silver in his eyes and ears - the Mongols never lacked for creative execution ideas. And yes, the Dothraki are modeled on the Mongols. He then destroyed city after city after city in an unbelievable orgy of violence. The region had an irrigation system that was thousands of years old, and supported very large cities (Nishapur, Merv, Balkh, and Herat were easily four of the wealthiest, largest, and most literate cities of the late Middle Ages). After the Mongols were done, that millennia-old irrigation system collapsed literally because there was no one left alive to maintain it.

This is considered, by most historians, to mark the invention of the concept of "diplomatic immunity."

And the Shah Mohammed II? He basically died of fright while being chased for about a thousand miles by a Mongol army led by Subodai and Jebe.

It's actually a little more complicated, too...Genghis Khan first sent a trade delegation, a caravan full of loot from China. When they got to the first city on the frontier (Otrar), the governor of Otrar - Inalchuq - said "Hey, loot!" and killed the merchants and stole everything. So Genghis, in a display of remarkable patience, sent an embassy to the Shah Mohammed II, asking for Inalchuq's head and the return of the treasure - basically saying "We don't blame you, we're just assuming your underling is being a stupid ****. So take care of him and, hey, no harm, no foul." The Shah Mohammed II responded by beheading two of the envoys, and shaving the head of the third (a grave insult to Mongols of the time) and sending him back with the heads of the other two.

To quote a movie: he chose...poorly. Genghis Khan went through Khwarezm like Might Taco and Genny Cream Ale through your intestinal tract. He had Inalchuq killed by pouring molten silver in his eyes and ears - the Mongols never lacked for creative execution ideas. And yes, the Dothraki are modeled on the Mongols. He then destroyed city after city after city in an unbelievable orgy of violence. The region had an irrigation system that was thousands of years old, and supported very large cities (Nishapur, Merv, Balkh, and Herat were easily four of the wealthiest, largest, and most literate cities of the late Middle Ages). After the Mongols were done, that millennia-old irrigation system collapsed literally because there was no one left alive to maintain it.

This is considered, by most historians, to mark the invention of the concept of "diplomatic immunity."

And the Shah Mohammed II? He basically died of fright while being chased for about a thousand miles by a Mongol army led by Subodai and Jebe.

So, are you saying this was worse than a 17 year playoff drought by the Bills? I think a lot of people will want to argue that! :)

So, are you saying this was worse than a 17 year playoff drought by the Bills? I think a lot of people will want to argue that! :)

It really only lasted about 10 years...so I gotta admit, I'm on the fence with this one.

I'm just glad we don't have to play the Mongols twice a year. Maybe we could trade our 2 Cheaters games for the Browns, and give NE the Mongols. Brady might just retire.

Now I want to see a football team named after them. The Las Vegas Mongols. That works.

That was actually common. Submarines were stationed for "lifeguard" duty before major air strikes. I think the record for aviators saved was something like 23 in a single patrol. And given that submarines didn't usually associate with surface ships much (as all surface ships considered submarines "enemy" first - at least one US sub was certainly lost to US Navy depth charges), those aviators usually stayed on board for a month or more until a friendly port was reached.

On a related note: aircraft carriers always had a destroyer assigned as "plane guard" during flight operations, to fish air crew out of the ocean after a failed takeoff or landing (which wasn't uncommon). As destroyers were small and thus rather spartan, whereas carriers were comparatively large and luxurious, it was standard practice for destroyers to "ransom" pilots back to the carriers for five gallons of ice cream a head (as carriers had ice cream makers on board). So if you want to know how much a trained Navy fighter pilot was worth in World War 2...about $160 worth of Chunky Monkey and Cherry Garcia, in modern terms.

Now you've learned TWO things today.

It was pretty small on the sub and every bunk taken even practicing "hot bunking"... Everybody had a job... What would the tag-a-long aviator do?

We camped out a bunch of years ago on the USS Silversides (Gato Class)...Up in Muskegon, Michigan. With a crew of around 80 (if I recall), I could imagine it tight. They said food would be stored everywhere they could put a box, they would eat their way to more walking room.

BTW... I think the Siversides holds the distinction for having the first under water surgery. An appendectomy in the galley after diving to avoid a Japanese destroyer. What a bad time time to have appendicitis! The galley was small, I wanna say 12x12 @ most and would serve crew all the time. I can't imagine 80 people crammed on that small boat. Cook got to shower every day, officers every other day and crew every week (I think)... Just imagine hot bunking with the boat's machinist! No room for tall guys either, I am 6'3" & I was banging my head and hanging off the bunks. By the middle of the night I was ready to just go ashore and throw my sleeping bag in snow. The "honeymoon suite" bunk was for the newbs... Right above the torpedo bay.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois