Welcome Micah Hyde

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/micah-hyde-12440/

Contract breakdown. $4M cap hit this season

If they are going with only 2 LBs then we need to find someone better than P.Brown to be one of them. He is flat out terrible. Always going to the wrong hole, can't shed blocks, average at best tackler who was made to look a fool on a weekly basis last year in the running game. His instincts are just horrendous.

He was a good fit when we played the 4-3 in his rookie year and played very well overall for a rookie 3rd rounder making the calls on the defense. PFF graded him very highly vs the pass and overall.

There's reason to believe that he is a better fit for McDermott's defense than a guy like Ragland who was drafted as a 3-4 ILB thumper.

Wilcoam's just being Wilcoam.

Those with eyes to see know that Hyde is a versatile and valuable defender.

Those with limited viewpoint will say "he's not a very good corner" or "he's only a mediocre safety", completely ignoring the fact that a player versatile enough to play FS, SS, CB, and return punts is a great addition to a team. He can cover slot WRs, TEs, can come up into the box and stop the run, and will provide toughness and stability. He also didn't break the bank. He only got the contract we were going to give Aaron Williams.

To me, Hyde is the definition of the RIGHT kind of free agent signing. Good player, just coming into his prime, at the right price. My favorite FA signing by the Bills so far.

Good logic, Logic.

Guest NeckBeard

I think this is a very good pickup. A few weeks ago, on the now-other Bills MB, you would think that the team would never have signed anyone who could make this team better. Again, very happy with this one.

thanks for your input,but I was asking the cover1 guy for his thoughts. That said,I have a hard time believing he is a lesser player than AW. I've not been a fan of Aaron's play for the last few years,although I realize he had health issues

He did mention tackling in his assessment,and went on to say we "got a hell of a player on our hands"

Huh? Did you not watch how the secondary fell apart when Williams was missing from the lineup the last few years? I'm not sure where you'd put him in term of ranking at his position but when healthy he was easily top 10 and there could be an argument for top 5...

Huh? Did you not watch how the secondary fell apart when Williams was missing from the lineup the last few years? I'm not sure where you'd put him in term of ranking at his position but when healthy he was easily top 10 and there could be an argument for top 5...

health and availability is the best talent a player can have

Who cares if he is better if he is not on the field?

I understand this is a very deep safety class. As well as DBs in general.

However,you want to go into rhe drat wirh less holes, not more that you want filled with rookies.

This is no way should preclude us from considering a safety if say Hooker is there or even in the later rounds.

Say Whaaaatt?? AW a top ten,or even a top 5 safety in this league? I liked him ok,but he was neither a ball hawking safety,nor a solid tackler. How many times have we seem him throw himself into a ball carrier,only to see them keep runnering for yards? For what it's worth,McD said he was let go for strictly football reasons. That's agreement enough to my point. That was crazy to say...top 5 safety smdh lmao

When I saw a list of available FA's, I thought adding Hyde would be great, but no way we'd be able to do it. Then we did. 100% LOVE it. And if J. Adams or B. Baker falls to us in the 1st or 2nd respectively, our secondary will be good-great for the next 4 years.

I disagree Logic

As I noted originally I said Hyde was a solid signing as a replacement for NRC, even an upgrade, based on his versatility

The article you posted is an opinion from GB that backs that up

Though folks here keep insisting over and over again that he's not a corner, lol, and that he's a starter, double lol

Even though the article you posted flat out states he played mostly corner for the Packers last year (HA!)

Even though the article you posted flat out states that he's a key versatile first one off the bench, IE, not a starter (YUP!)

My opinion remains that he's just not a quality NFL starting safety, and the article you posted concurs

Or to date Hyde has not shown any potential for being as such

Could he prove otherwise, sure, happens all the time, but its not a given

Fans just repeating it over and over again on a blog website will not make it any more so

So right now he's not an upgrade on a healthy Graham or Williams, he's just a body

Though agreed he isn't injury prone, and can return kicks, both of which are excellant assets in a backup player

And yes, he is certainly head and shoulders above last years depth safeties, same as Nickel CB, that's a plus

Agreed, in a league where you play nickel 55-60% of the time, he's your 5th secondary guy, almost a starter

And as your article states, and I agree, he excels as the 5th guy, he's a great 5th guy signing

He just doesn't solve the need for a real high ceiling starting safety

Like GB we should really be looking at using our first or second round pick this April at that position

With Aaron released and Graham getting older it's still a huge need

jc

For the people saying Aaron Williams is a much better safety than this guy, stop. Maybe two or three years ago. Hyde was a solid contributor on a playoff team and Aaron Williams might not be able to even hit people anymore.

It cracks me up how people say he sucks or we are going to suck without even playing a preseason game yet, let alone a real game week 1.

I disagree Logic

As I noted originally I said Hyde was a solid signing as a replacement for NRC, even an upgrade, based on his versatility

The article you posted is an opinion from GB that backs that up

Though folks here keep insisting over and over again that he's not a corner, lol, and that he's a starter, double lol

Even though the article you posted flat out states he played mostly corner for the Packers last year (HA!)

Even though the article you posted flat out states that he's a key versatile first one off the bench, IE, not a starter (YUP!)

My opinion remains that he's just not a quality NFL starting safety, and the article you posted concurs

Or to date Hyde has not shown any potential for being as such

Could he prove otherwise, sure, happens all the time, but its not a given

Fans just repeating it over and over again on a blog website will not make it any more so

So right now he's not an upgrade on a healthy Graham or Williams, he's just a body

Though agreed he isn't injury prone, and can return kicks, both of which are excellant assets in a backup player

And yes, he is certainly head and shoulders above last years depth safeties, same as Nickel CB, that's a plus

Agreed, in a league where you play nickel 55-60% of the time, he's your 5th secondary guy, almost a starter

And as your article states, and I agree, he excels as the 5th guy, he's a great 5th guy signing

He just doesn't solve the need for a real high ceiling starting safety

Like GB we should really be looking at using our first or second round pick this April at that position

With Aaron released and Graham getting older it's still a huge need

jc

I think he will be playing Nickel corner mostly. At least to start. Still need to draft safety who can step in soon. And another boundary corner perhaps

just to throw it out there,an article from PFF after week 5 last season ranked AW a whopping 40.1

While stating that he struggled in coverage and was late to help over the top a couple of times,allowing a 28 yard reception as the primary cover man. And he also missed two tackles. He wasn't that good

Hey! Hyde made ESPN's Favorite Signing!

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/232946/nfl-day-1-free-agency-winners-and-losers

Per Kevin Siefert NFL Nation.

But Whaley is an idiot that had no idea what he was doing releasing the often injured Aaron williams and immediately replacing him with someone who can act in hybrid roles.

Geesh. Love the signing.