Houston traded Osweiler to Cleveland

I didn;t read all 11 pages in this thread but when was the last time, in the NFL, any team traded a player and give the other team a hight draft pick, first time in recent history I can recall this, very very very unusual to say the least

I mean think about it, would you trade Dareus and then include a 2nd round draft pick, it's, well, CRAZY....

jc

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very smart move by the Browns. Their fans are at least suffering in exchange for some hope. Bills fans are stuck pushing the boulder up the hill and rolling it back down every year.

Edited by Fetou

well they don't have a QB so

true, true. I guess they see him as a back up plan?...I always thought he sucked. may of had a shining moment or two. I still question the trade bait deal from the the jimmy g news stirring about?

http://http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000792076/article/browns-intend-to-make-run-at-jimmy-garoppolo

edit: you think if they dangled him and a draft pick or two they could get bb to give in?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

They probably just got him for a back up position. I would hate to think they got him to start, but then again it is the Browns so......

Cleveland trades: 4th round Pick

Houston trades: 2nd Round Pick, 6th round Pick, Osweiler.

I think it is clear that the market value for having Osweiler on your team at his contract value is negative. The Browns are buying extra future assets for essentially no opportunity cost, as they are obviously tanking and have no better use for the cap space this year.

The Browns will have a lot of flexibility going forward to try their hand at the top flight QB prospect of their choosing, and will have a ton of flexibility to spend money around him.

Edited by Fetou

houston has 9 mill dead cap hit this year with the trade , but Cleveland takes on the fully guaranteed 16 mill base salary for 2017 whether they cut him or not.

OK, so in this case it worked out better for Houston to trade him than cut him. Thanks for the explanation.

Is this the same GM that gave him the big contract to take him from the Broncos? Is Osweiler really that bad? I guess if he's a backup type you don't pay him $16m. Okay move for Browns because they have the money and Osweiler has only started a couple years....how can you write him off this soon?

Is this the same GM that gave him the big contract to take him from the Broncos? Is Osweiler really that bad? I guess if he's a backup type you don't pay him $16m. Okay move for Browns because they have the money and Osweiler has only started a couple years....how can you write him off this soon?

Rumors of him not meshing well with coaching staff. They even benched him during the year.

I think it is a smart move by both sides. The Browns master plan though? Execution, execution, execution. I'll wait and see.