The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

I'd probably start with his Twitter-bashing of the parents of a dead soldier and go from there.

Is that comparable to committing perjury under oath as Bill Clinton did?

Be really careful before you go "yeah whatever" on that topic....

Its' also more embarrassing that otherwise presumably intelligent people are backing this guy, for no decent reason. Maybe embarrassing isn't the right word...shameful is probably more accurate.

Backing this guy for no decent reason? He's our president and we should all be backing him as Americans even if you don't agree with his policies or temperament. I remember Rush Limbaugh saying he wanted Obama to fail right as he took office and that kind of threw me to how partisan we've become. Defending him and backing him are two different things.

Its' also more embarrassing that otherwise presumably intelligent people are backing this guy, for no decent reason. Maybe embarrassing isn't the right word...shameful is probably more accurate.

Very few people here back him.

Very many people here like to point out what raging hypocrites the left is. But that's not the same as backing Trump.

Backing this guy for no decent reason? He's our president and we should all be backing him as Americans even if you don't agree with his policies or temperament. I remember Rush Limbaugh saying he wanted Obama to fail right as he took office and that kind of threw me to how partisan we've become. Defending him and backing him are two different things.

That's called "collaboration with the enemy."

Is that comparable to committing perjury under oath as Bill Clinton did?

Be really careful before you go "yeah whatever" on that topic....

This is the problem with partisan ideology: it's made it impossible to have a discussion on a perfectly reasonable subject, like whether criticizing the mother of a dead soldier is an example of 'terrible behavior', without having to wade through all the 'Well, THESE guys did it THIS thing TOO!' buffonery.

Very few people here back him.

Very many people here like to point out what raging hypocrites the left is. But that's not the same as backing Trump.

That's called "collaboration with the enemy."

Sorry, I should have clarified...when I said "presumably intelligent people" I was referring to congressmen and senators. It is just painful (and shameful in my view) to listen to these people trying to sell whatever BS he is selling, when it is obvious they aren't even in agreement with him. Their "we have to win something" is outrageous. The GOP is showing an alarming lack of spine. I wasn't really referring to people on TSW.

And, lets be honest, neither side of the aisle is exclusive to "raging hypocrisy".

Sorry, I should have clarified...when I said "presumably intelligent people" I was referring to congressmen and senators. It is just painful (and shameful in my view) to listen to these people trying to sell whatever BS he is selling, when it is obvious they aren't even in agreement with him. Their "we have to win something" is outrageous. The GOP is showing an alarming lack of spine. I wasn't really referring to people on TSW.

It's less "backing Trump" than it is "my party, right or wrong." I suspect - with no real proof, mind you - that a good number of Republican legislators hate Trump, but are afraid of his popular support within the party.

Of course, they should still all be shot. Even though they're not Nazis, Nazi collaborators should be fought with violence as well.

And, lets be honest, neither side of the aisle is exclusive to "raging hypocrisy".

Wouldn't suggest otherwise. But the key difference is that the left thinks their raging hypocrisy is somehow "the high road."

Every once in awhile I see that "quote" from Limbaugh brought up. It's is taken totally out of context. Limbaugh was saying that he wanted Obama's policies to not be put in place. He wanted him to fail to pass legislation like the ACA. I didn't want the ACA either. I knew it was bound to fail because it went against the premise of insurance. I would have been happy though if for some reason it succeeded.

I agree to a certain extent like when Paul Ryan said "he's new at this" when he told Comey to see if he could just let the Michael Flynn investigation go. My first thought was if he's so new at this then why did he tell everybody else to get out of the room before Trump told Comey that.

You also have to keep in mind that some GOP Senators and all GOP Congressman are up for reelection and don't want to insult the Trump fan base no matter what stupid things he says, tweets, or does. Most politicians are bought and paid for (on both sides) and these donors want a return on their investment so it would only make sense to criticize Trump if it helps push their agenda. Maybe I've grown too cynical, but most politicians lost personal integrity a long time ago.

Every once in awhile I see that "quote" from Limbaugh brought up. It's is taken totally out of context. Limbaugh was saying that he wanted Obama's policies to not be put in place. He wanted him to fail to pass legislation like the ACA. I didn't want the ACA either. I knew it was bound to fail because it went against the premise of insurance. I would have been happy though if for some reason it succeeded.

Okay. That makes more sense considering where we were as a country economically in '09. I don't listen to the guy so I guess I'm guilty of hearing it from a second hand source out of context.

It's less "backing Trump" than it is "my party, right or wrong." I suspect - with no real proof, mind you - that a good number of Republican legislators hate Trump, but are afraid of his popular support within the party.

Of course, they should still all be shot. Even though they're not Nazis, Nazi collaborators should be fought with violence as well.

Wouldn't suggest otherwise. But the key difference is that the left thinks their raging hypocrisy is somehow "the high road."

Well, doesn't everyone who has an opinion think that they are right?

5fe30ff6cb009858c4825de1c9a6a5706388c1b8

For some, that's certainly true. But I'd say most want to watch the broken systems burn... which, if done overnight or without care, would result in the world burning I guess... so maybe its the same thing.

Then again, alchemy - the transmutation into a new, better state of being, often through fire - has been a cornerstone belief of many, many institutions of power since the beginning of history. Maybe there's some value to it.

Well, doesn't everyone who has an opinion think that they are right?

You'd think so...but given the frequency with which people complain that I always think I'm right, the only explanation is that most people walk around holding opinions they know are wrong.

For some, that's certainly true. But I'd say most want to watch the broken systems burn... which, if done overnight or without care, would result in the world burning I guess... so maybe its the same thing.

Then again, alchemy - the transmutation into a new, better state of being, often through fire - has been a cornerstone belief of many, many institutions of power since the beginning of history. Maybe there's some value to it.

You do realize how "good" we ALL have/had it.

Put down our petty jealousy's.

Keep dreaming, searching for that philosopher's stone. Trump ain't it, nobody is.

There's only one moral answer and it could be anything else but Trump. As Americans we lack a moral guiding light.

We put lead into the crucible and guess what we got out? A big glob of melted, deformed... You guessed it: lead.

Gee... What a real shock! I was hoping for a little Au, it is only three atomic numbers off. Nothing a little heat won't solve.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I honestly feel you're just looking up left wing talking points and pasting them to here. The media is throwing darts at him like no president I've ever seen in my lifetime. That's saying a lot considering we've had Nixon and GW as president. There have been many presidents that have tried to maintain a low profile with the press. Given Trump's amazing ability to continuously shoot himself in the foot when doing interviews along with the media's insatiable appetite to try and bring down this administration, I think laying low and only doing interviews that won't try and trap you is the smart play.

They should be attacking him. We've never had a president lie this much, behave so foolishly and act it's his own personal interest like this before. Not to mention the Russia thing. The media is suppose to ignore that? And the clown cried to the heavens about lack of transparency and now can't explain anything he is doing with our government? Glad to know you are ok with president protecting himself from the media and public like that. That's the spirit that made us a great country!

And Trump's argument that no other president has been treated this way is such crap. Nixon never had Fox News backing him up or the whole right wing alt right media network. Poor Trump, boo hoo

He would be fired for saying what he tweeted if he was CEO. But like the people here deflecting and there are quite a few, there is no standard That they care to uphold, so he can keep setting that example and not raise anywhere near the outcry that decency suggests.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

He would be fired for saying what he tweeted if he was CEO.

Has he ever actually answered to a board of directors?

But like the people here deflecting and there are quite a few, there is no standard That they care to uphold, so he can keep setting that example and not raise anywhere near the outcry that decency suggests.

Yep, we're all just Nazi collaborators.

They should be attacking him. We've never had a president lie this much, behave so foolishly and act it's his own personal interest like this before. Not to mention the Russia thing. The media is suppose to ignore that? And the clown cried to the heavens about lack of transparency and now can't explain anything he is doing with our government? Glad to know you are ok with president protecting himself from the media and public like that. That's the spirit that made us a great country!

And Trump's argument that no other president has been treated this way is such crap. Nixon never had Fox News backing him up or the whole right wing alt right media network. Poor Trump, boo hoo

No. The media isn't supposed to ignore that. A quick five minute segment on the stupid tweets would of sufficed and then you go into more substantive

issues. As far as lies goes, we all know he lies about the small things before the election, but previous presidents have told big lies we are still paying the consequences for. "Iraq is developing and has weapons of mass destruction" and "If you want your doctor, you can keep your doctor" come to mind.

My problem with the media and democratic politicians is they comically overreact to things. "The GOP Senate bill will kill thousands of people" when it's not that different than Obamacare. They roll back medicaid expansion slightly and get rid of the individual mandate. That's far from a free market healthcare system. "These tweets are beneath the office of the president." The voters knew this was who Trump was before they voted. It's the DNC's rigging of the primaries (why were their only two serious candidates?) that led to a $hitty corrupt democratic nominee that couldn't even beat a guy as buffoonish as Trump.

No. The media isn't supposed to ignore that. A quick five minute segment on the stupid tweets would of sufficed and then you go into more substantive

issues. As far as lies goes, we all know he lies about the small things before the election, but previous presidents have told big lies we are still paying the consequences for. "Iraq is developing and has weapons of mass destruction" and "If you want your doctor, you can keep your doctor" come to mind.

My problem with the media and democratic politicians is they comically overreact to things. "The GOP Senate bill will kill thousands of people" when it's not that different than Obamacare. They roll back medicaid expansion slightly and get rid of the individual mandate. That's far from a free market healthcare system. "These tweets are beneath the office of the president." The voters knew this was who Trump was before they voted. It's the DNC's rigging of the primaries (why were their only two serious candidates?) that led to a $hitty corrupt democratic nominee that couldn't even beat a guy as buffoonish as Trump.

But you are just parroting Donald Trump's line when you complain he is the worst treated Prez ever. Yet, you turn around and agree he is a buffoon. Yes, Bush's lies were really bad, really bad. But not even Bush lied almost every time he talked.

And I disagree with your assertion the Republican health care bill isn't that bad, and that it will "slightly" cut Medicaid. Someone fact checked the thousands will die statement and found it to be true. Cut millions off of health insurance and thousands will die? Sounds about right

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/jun/27/bernie-s/bernie-sanders-projection-thousands-added-deaths-g/

Yes, I know you think the Congressional Budget Office has some left wing bias so I just imagine--sorry for being presumptuous--you will say this study is off also. Reality has such a left wing bias.

I'm sure The Donald has answered for decades to top bank presidents, heavy duty investors and their analysts, bankruptcy heavies and all kinds of corporate oversight. And three wives.

Trump is a disgrace, he deserves whatever he gets from the media and anyone else.

Exactly the opposite. The media is a disgrace. Unprofessional, anti American nobodies. All scum and deserve no respect. In fact, the total recklessness of this Russian narrative should be illegal.

I'm sure The Donald has answered for decades to top bank presidents, heavy duty investors and their analysts, bankruptcy heavies and all kinds of corporate oversight. And three wives.

Again, search function is good for you.

Trump never answered to top bank presidents, heavy duty investors and their analysts, bankruptcy heavies and all kinds of corporate oversight. That's why he got kicked out of virtually any serious board room and every real bank severed relationships with him because he was too much of a headache. There's a reason that the only bank that would provide him with funding was the wealth management arm of Deutsche. Not the commercial real estate team or any other commercial team, but the private bankers.

It takes a special man to sever ties with the biggest whores in the world.

Exactly the opposite. The media is a disgrace. Unprofessional, anti American nobodies. All scum and deserve no respect. In fact, the total recklessness of this Russian narrative should be illegal.

Unprofessional and reckless you say? Trump takes the cake for that description. The media asks questions and holds people accountable in this country, it's what they do. If you don't like the bias from the left, don't watch it or read it. Fox was ruthless to Obama for eight years, I didn't hear democrats complaining and crying about it every day.

The Russian investigation could very well bring about zero charges for Trump. Even the left knows this. However, Flynn, Manafort and Carter Page are facing some serious stuff, and whether you like it or not, they were directly tied to Trump and his campaign. All Trump has to do is say I am looking forward to being cleared by this investigation, I am not okay with countries interfering in our elections and will do my best to prevent that in the future. Instead he tweets and whines about a witch hunt.

That's not my point though. My point is our president is an uninformed, thin-skinned, vengeful and reckless person. Someone who has risen that high and yields that much power should act with more class and dignity. His tweeting drags our nation's image through the mud. He is an embarrassment to this country, and I am not the only one who feels that way. The media has nothing to do with that.

Why Trump’s outrageous tweets won’t matter tomorrow
ABC News, by Rick Klein

Original Article

President Trump is changing the norms that empower his media antagonists

As usual, President Trump is outraging the political-media establishment, who all assume that his early-morning tweets yesterday zinging the Morning Joe odd couple, "hitting back ten times as hard," as wife Melania once characterized his tactical doctrine, were the result of some form of derangement. They are not equipped to understand the strategy that lies behind his tweets. Like fish unaware of the water in which they swim, they operate on the basis of unconscious beliefs.

President Trump understands that the current informal-but-very-real rules of the game have allowed Mika and Joe (and the rest of the media-political world as well) free rein to savage him and his family, while he is supposed to be a gentleman and just take it while they get support for attacking him.That's what President George W. Bush did, and it cost him dearly, unto this day. His suffering may be noble, but that form of greatness does not seem to interest President Trump.

Trump understands that the culture governing D.C. and the media has to change because it systematically favors his opponents. They set the rules, and those rules give the media the ability to call the shots, and the media overwhelmingly oppose him. Media criticism cows Republicans into submission and boosts the causes of the left.

So President Trump, who is a doer, is actively working to change that culture by violating its norms.

Edited by B-Man

Why Trump’s outrageous tweets won’t matter tomorrow

ABC News, by Rick Klein

Original Article

President Trump is changing the norms that empower his media antagonists

By Thomas Lifson

As usual, President Trump is outraging the political-media establishment, who all assume that his early-morning tweets yesterday zinging the Morning Joe odd couple, "hitting back ten times as hard," as wife Melania once characterized his tactical doctrine, were the result of some form of derangement. They are not equipped to understand the strategy that lies behind his tweets. Like fish unaware of the water in which they swim, they operate on the basis of unconscious beliefs.

President Trump understands that the current informal-but-very-real rules of the game have allowed Mika and Joe (and the rest of the media-political world as well) free rein to savage him and his family, while he is supposed to be a gentleman and just take it while they get support for attacking him.That's what President George W. Bush did, and it cost him dearly, unto this day. His suffering may be noble, but that form of greatness does not seem to interest President Trump.

Trump understands that the culture governing D.C. and the media has to change because it systematically favors his opponents. They set the rules, and those rules give the media the ability to call the shots, and the media overwhelmingly oppose him. Media criticism cows Republicans into submission and boosts the causes of the left.

So President Trump, who is a doer, is actively working to change that culture by violating its norms.

You see this as Trump vs. the media. Others (including myself) see it as Trump vs. the American people and Trump vs. decency. I think that somewhat explains why you are so quick to defend what is really just childish, abrasive, inappropriate behavior.

There is of course some truth to the idea that Trump is actively trying to discredit the media. It's in his interest to do that. It's a strategy that helped him get elected. But the article you quote is a bit off the rails in making it out as a grand plan to "change the culture by violating its norms." That's a bit bonkers.

Who appointed you the guardian of the interest of the American people and decency?

More like you are a bitter little busybody who didn't learn that sometimes you lose your competitions in life.

I would thank you to stay the !@#$ away from dictating what the People and Decency stand for....

Who appointed you the guardian of the interest of the American people and decency?

More like you are a bitter little busybody who didn't learn that sometimes you lose your competitions in life.

I would thank you to stay the !@#$ away from dictating what the People and Decency stand for....

For all the spouting off about Americans you do, I seem to remember from BBMB that you are Canadian. Isn't that correct?

Unprofessional and reckless you say? Trump takes the cake for that description. The media asks questions and holds people accountable in this country, it's what they do. If you don't like the bias from the left, don't watch it or read it. Fox was ruthless to Obama for eight years, I didn't hear democrats complaining and crying about it every day.

The Russian investigation could very well bring about zero charges for Trump. Even the left knows this. However, Flynn, Manafort and Carter Page are facing some serious stuff, and whether you like it or not, they were directly tied to Trump and his campaign. All Trump has to do is say I am looking forward to being cleared by this investigation, I am not okay with countries interfering in our elections and will do my best to prevent that in the future. Instead he tweets and whines about a witch hunt.

That's not my point though.. Someone who has risen that high and yields that much power should act with more class and dignity. His tweeting drags our nation's image through the mud. He is an embarrassment to this country, and I am not the only one who feels that way. The media has nothing to do with that.

"The media asks questions and holds people accountable in this country, it's what they do"

Really? To bad they only attempt to do that when dealing with republicans. Hillary and Obama and the Bush's get a pass. And their version of holding people accountable is creating fairy tales. Like the Russian joke admitted by CNN themselves! The msm are a absolute joke.

" My point is our president is an uninformed, thin-skinned, vengeful and reckless person"

What would your state of mind be after some unfunny washed up mimics a jihadi beheading with your head? NY Times hinting at his assassination everywhere to the point where you get some nut job trying to take out a charity ball game where republicans are playing. MSM irresponsibly trying to start conflicts with a major nuclear power lying about phony tampering. Who's reckless? He is dealing with absolute scum and he knows it. He has to get down and dirty with the low lifes because he has no allies in the leftist media.

DC: Trump is a clown

Most of America: All of DC is clowns, but at least Clown Trump annoys all the other clowns on a regular basis

THE HILL: Trump, Mika and Joe all show zero ability to act like adults.

If by "most of America" you mean about 38%, you might be right. But, he is still a rotten human being, always has been, always will be...he doesn't deserve all the blame...it is a broken system that got him where he is.

I think Joe and Mika are idiots too...they are in a many ways, responsible for this nightmare of an administration. But Trump is rotten to the core. It has nothing to do with Morning Joe, or any of that bull ****, as unseemly as it is.

The article you linked is hilarious. It gives Trump far too much credit for having some sort of altruistic motive for being a boorish pig...he has been this way his entire public life. It has nothing to do with wanting to "fix DC" or anything like that...it has everything to do with his insatiable ego, and his bitterness that he isn't liked and respected the way his fragile ego needs. He thought being president would command respect for him, the respect he never had in NYC, but it is only exposing him to a larger circle of people who are realizing he is total garbage.

And you know, for all the titty-babying about the "liberal media" bias, a large part of that media was/have been trying to "give him a chance" like his supporters always beg. He just doesn't seem interested, or capable of recognizing when he has a "chance" to earn respect. I know, at this point it is cliche', but how anyone can complain, with a straight face that Trump and his family have been treated poorly by the media, after the way the Obamas' were treated by the right-wing media for 8 years is beyond me. The difference is, Trump has put his family in the line of fire for criticism by giving them, as unqualified as they are (as he is) access to power that is unprecedented in a democracy.

So many of the "liberal media" that he, you, and so many others complain about was ready to turn the page around the time of his State of the Union address, and his subsequent military action in Syria...some of his most ardent critics were saying things like "tonight, Donald Trump" became president" and other horse-**** like that. But, he is not a leader, he has no earthly idea how to lead people...his only way is to try to intimidate people.

Edited by Buftex

You see this as Trump vs. the media. Others (including myself) see it as Trump vs. the American people and Trump vs. decency. I think that somewhat explains why you are so quick to defend what is really just childish, abrasive, inappropriate behavior.

There is of course some truth to the idea that Trump is actively trying to discredit the media. It's in his interest to do that. It's a strategy that helped him get elected. But the article you quote is a bit off the rails in making it out as a grand plan to "change the culture by violating its norms." That's a bit bonkers.

Trump is not trying to discredit the media. This is all part of his irrationality, because a moment after a twitter tirade and when cameras are off, he'll try to cozy up to the reporters as if nothing had happened a minute before.

He hates the reality that media has turned against him

Trump is not trying to discredit the media. This is all part of his irrationality, because a moment after a twitter tirade and when cameras are off, he'll try to cozy up to the reporters as if nothing had happened a minute before.

He hates the reality that media has turned against him

This National Inquirer nonsense, if you choose to believe the Morning Joe pair, says a lot towards your point.