Onfield/uniform advertising for 100% uninterrupted broadcast

DrDawkinstein

I don't understand why you're trying to be nice?

If you're a POS, why not show everyone by over-reacting to a general comment on an opinion thread?

We'll know sooner or later, anyway. :lol:

I wasn't trying to come across as a douche. I don't care one bit if the jersey has ads and I don't understand why people do.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they'll keep the commercials and have start putting ads on the jerseys

Yep.

Yep, yep.

The NFL only adds revenue streams. They would never consider limiting broadcast revenues. That is the golden goose of all golden geese.

Commercials don't bother me. You know when they're coming and 9/10 they play an ad for the network before they come back to the game(CBS at least). Gives me time to get food/beer and use bathroom.

I can't stand ads on the field or jerseys. I wouldnt watch. It's too much going on.

I wasn't trying to come across as a douche. I don't care one bit if the jersey has ads and I don't understand why people do.

I get distracted easily. It would ruin the game for me. Watching NHL draft prospects in Europe where they have ads on ice and jerseys drives me crazy

When people predict the collapse of the NFL i ask: where is the sport and/or the league going? The sport has been around for a century. Football is woven into the fabric of american culture.

The EPL isnt going under in the UK

The NFL, MLB, and NBA arent going under in the US

La Liga isnt going under in Spain

Stop the drama. Pay your taxes. They arent going away either.

There have been countless things that were once "woven into the fabric of American Culture" that have gone away. My opinion is that football itself will never go away. I agree with you on that point. What could go away is the NFL, or at least the league in its current form. Football will likely always be around, but there is nothing stopping it from being relegated to a less visible postition in American culture.

When people predict the collapse of the NFL i ask: where is the sport and/or the league going? The sport has been around for a century. Football is woven into the fabric of american culture.

The EPL isnt going under in the UK

The NFL, MLB, and NBA arent going under in the US

La Liga isnt going under in Spain

Stop the drama. Pay your taxes. They arent going away either.

So... we should add federal NFL tax and then no ads on TV or on jerseys? I'm game.

More I think about it that it wouldn't matter. If they simply sped the games up it would please me a lot more. A slow game and watching another recap is going to be dull with the average announcer. The less we hear most of them the better.

i would actually pay extra for an uninterrupted broadcast of the game WITHOUT announcers. Just field mics.

they do this with NASCAR. Wish rheyd do it with football.

I'm with you sir.

We started out with just a few commercials and they kept adding more.

I don't trust them, if you start with just a few Uniform "decals",

ads-nfl-jerseys_small.jpg This is how you end up.

Or something like this:

inter-15-16-home-kit%2B%25283%2529.jpg

or

This:

109117.jpg

Yeah real hideous.

Edited by meazza

i would actually pay extra for an uninterrupted broadcast of the game WITHOUT announcers. Just field mics.

I know we all B word about announcers, and for the most part they do suck...but I bet you would enjoy games a little less. I have watched plenty of games in bars over the years where the audio is too low to hear, or non-existent. It is amazing how much you can miss.

Personally, I don't mind commercials, though I wish there wasn't quite as many. I have transferred a ton of Bills games from VHS and DVR onto DVD's over the years, onto DVD, cutting out the commericals. Without commercials, a typical Bills game in the early 90's takes about 2hrs and 20 minutes of actual broadcast time. Nowadays, though the games take about 12 minutes longer to play, the actual broadcast time is about 2:08 minutes...we are seeing a lot more commercials, which cuts down a lot on replays, and color commentary and actual game analysis.

Edited by Buftex

Just corporate sponsors, every pro soccer teams jersey looks like this.

The collateral marketing impact is the jerseys folks buy in support even further propagate brand awareness. It's a pretty solid approach.

As pointed out elsewher though, unfortunately the NFL profit machine would look at the opportunity as a path to additional revenue, not a replacement of existing advertising revenue such that the viewer experience can be improved with fewer advertising breaks.

I DVR the games with about a 30 to 45 minute delay. Viola! No commercials.

I do that with pretty much everything I watch on commercial tv...except for Bills games. Where I live, though, I am lucky if there are 3 Bills games on per year, on the local stations.

The collateral marketing impact is the jerseys folks buy in support even further propagate brand awareness. It's a pretty solid approach.

As pointed out elsewher though, unfortunately the NFL profit machine would look at the opportunity as a path to additional revenue, not a replacement of existing advertising revenue such that the viewer experience can be improved with fewer advertising breaks.

I agree. It's one of those scenarios where I'm in favor if there were something in it for the fan. The problem is that there isn't. The sole purpose would be to further the profit margain of the league. In that context it seems totally unnecessary.

None of this makes sense.

Networks aren't going to televise free football...for free. If all the ad money is going to the NFL and bypassing the networks, how do we watch the NFL on TV?

Also, the number of commercial breaks is fixed at 10 per half--hasn't changed much in years. Putting them around a meaningless extra point is better than in the middle of a drive at the end of a half.

Stole this topic from /r/nfl. Hey, it's the offseason...

Would NFL fans tolerate on-field/on-uniform advertising in exchange for a 100% un-interrupted broadcast and shorter games?

One of the biggest complaints NFL fans have is the sheer amount of commercial breaks during a standard NFL broadcast, so much so that the league is actively searching for ways to shorten commercial breaks and length of and streamlining games....

My question to you all is would you be okay if the NFL went full FIFA and changed their attitude towards advertising when it came to broadcasting games altogether?... 0 commercial breaks (excluding halftime), but have ads on the field of play (physical and through ads placed through computer graphics on the broadcast), and on player uniforms?

Where there used to be commercial breaks (Timeouts, stoppages of play..etc) will be filled with normal play review/game analysis/highlights from other games..etc) with the standard "brought to you by (x) advertiser".

Would you want that as a fan to avoid commercial interruptions? Do you think this is an actual course of action the NFL might ever consider? And if it were something that were to happen what would be the best and least-obtrusive way you think or would want to see it implemented?

Absolutely, I tape games just so I can blow past the commercials, plus it would be cool to have that continuous flow of the game. Pepsi colored uniforms would be pretty cool

Errr.... yes. At least by American standards.

is there a difference?

But when would you get a beer, or get rid of the previous beers?

In the end, they'll add the advertising, but not subtract any advertising.

pause button is the best invention ever

I'm with you sir.

We started out with just a few commercials and they kept adding more.

I don't trust them, if you start with just a few Uniform "decals",

ads-nfl-jerseys_small.jpg This is how you end up.

Thats all right.......I really don't understand your opinion either

I think it actually adds some flavor to the unis

None of this makes sense.

Networks aren't going to televise free football...for free. If all the ad money is going to the NFL and bypassing the networks, how do we watch the NFL on TV?

Also, the number of commercial breaks is fixed at 10 per half--hasn't changed much in years. Putting them around a meaningless extra point is better than in the middle of a drive at the end of a half.

You're right, it likely would change some of the directions of money flow but it's proven to be a sustainable biz model.

Either way, they'd do all these "in addition to" not "instead of" until products like redzone and rewind erode viewership enough to impact ad revenue...