Kirk Cousins wants out of Washington

The agent should blame the NFLPA not Washington team - the NFLPA were representatives of players and they negotiated deal,

Cousins and his agent are not complaining about the franchise tag. They are making the system work for them. With consecutive franchise tagging he is getting high end money. If the team decides to tag him again next year (which they won't) he'll gladly accept the 20% raise.

Both Cousins and his agent are not squawking about the process. They have made the decision that the client/qb is not going to give the team a hometown discount. They want the Skins to pay him at the rate he would get if he was on the open market. If the organization doesn't want to give him a long term contract he will get his top rate money on a year to year basis.

Last year the Skins could have signed Cousins to an Osweiller type contract. The organization said no, not yet. The organization essentially said show me what you got. And he did. The organization miscalculated by not signing him sooner, and it has proven to be costly. The player has the leverage and he is using it. It's a business and that is how the player is treating it.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cousins and his agent are not complaining about the franchise tag. They are making the system work for them. With consecutive franchise tagging he is getting high end money. If the team decides to tag him again next year (which they won't) he'll gladly accept the 20% raise.

They CAN'T - you can only tag a player twice in a row. 2016 and 2017 he was tagged.

They CAN'T - you can only tag a player twice in a row. 2016 and 2017 he was tagged.

Wrong. They CAN franchise him again but won't tag him a third consecutive time because it would be cost prohibitive. Cousins was tagged last year at $19.95 million. He was tagged again this year at $23.94 million (120% bump). It would cost Little Dummy Snyder and his franchise $34.47 million (144% bump) to franchise Cousins again next year. Not happening:

Can a player be given the franchise tag in consecutive years?

"Yes, but it's a costly move for teams. For a player to be given the tag in two straight years, a team has to pay him 120 percent of his previous salary.

If a team wants to franchise a player in three straight years, it would have to pay him 144 percent of his previous salary."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-what-does-nfl-franchise-tag-mean-20170215-story.html

I liked Cousins coming out of Collage. But with that said I am not sure if he would be the one for us at this time. I guess we will be sitting here waiting to see what the FO does this off season with FA and the draft. I have always been a wait and see kind of guy. So at this time all I can say is GO BILLS. We do have an undefeated record so far. :thumbsup:

Who is the one then? The Bills could desperately use his talents IMO. I would give Wash 2 1st rd picks any day of the week. You don't put up 9K passing yards in this league over 2 years by mistake with a team that has a weaker running game.

Who is the one then? The Bills could desperately use his talents IMO. I would give Wash 2 1st rd picks any day of the week. You don't put up 9K passing yards in this league over 2 years by mistake with a team that has a weaker running game.

But a superior passing game with DeSean Jackson, Garcon and the athletic TE. They could make throw-and-catch all day.

But a superior passing game with DeSean Jackson, Garcon and the athletic TE. They could make throw-and-catch all day.

Clay = Check Watkins = Check and by far

So insert Cousins, draft a high round WR and RT. Insert all those new pieces with the current O-line and McCoy.

What is there not to love? Until we settle the QB position nothing matters. You build around your QB and O-line once they are established, Until OBD wakes the hell up and realizes this we will always be mediocre.

Cousins has 10 years left in the tank. I'm so damn tired of the Coaching and QB carousel on our team just flat out destroying us. McD will have the exact same fate as the rest until we actually want to fix this issue.

What is 2 first rd draft picks for someone that can be around 10 more years? Not to mention you could waste 2 1st round picks on rookie QB's and still miss, wasting another 6 years to see if they are legit or not. Cousins is legit, if Washington wants to be stupid with the most important position in sports why should we not take advantage for once? We passed on Bress in 06 like fools in the past and I was furious due to having friggin Losman. Why do it again?

Hell, give the next 2 years of 1st rd picks and TT for all I care.

I honestly hope all this cap clearing is for a blockbuster trade with Washington to have enough $$$ to sign Cousins on a long term deal.... One can only wish..............

Edited by Real McCoy

Clay = Check Watkins = Check and by far

So insert Cousins, draft a high round WR and RT. Insert all those new pieces with the current O-line and McCoy.

What is there not to love? Until we settle the QB position nothing matters. You build around your QB and O-line once they are established, Until OBD wakes the hell up and realizes this we will always be mediocre.

Cousins has 10 years left in the tank. I'm so damn tired of the Coaching and QB carousel on our team just flat out destroying us. McD will have the exact same fate as the rest until we actually want to fix this issue.

What is 2 first rd draft picks for someone that can be around 10 more years? Not to mention you could waste 2 1st round picks on rookie QB's and still miss, wasting another 6 years to see if they are legit or not. Cousins is legit, if Washington wants to be stupid with the most important position in sports why should we not take advantage for once? We passed on Bress in 06 like fools in the past and I was furious due to having friggin Losman. Why do it again?

Hell, give the next 2 years of 1st rd picks and TT for all I care.

I honestly hope all this cap clearing is for a blockbuster trade with Washington to have enough $$$ to sign Cousins on a long term deal.... One can only wish..............

It's a fun idea, and I would be all for it.

I just doubt that it will happen.

Having said that, I'm surprised that Cousins has not been traded yet. The 49'ers could easily trade for him. What's the hold up?