Kirk Cousins wants out of Washington

Flacco is a game manager with a good playoff run. Alex Smith has a 6:1 TD to INT ratio in the Super Bowl. Flacco has elevated his team once in his career and that was the Super Bowl run. He hasn't been good since. I'm not sure anyone would even debate that? Put Flacco since 2012 next to any of the other guy in the game manager tier and he has been consistently worse than all of them. He's a homeless man's Eli.

Alex Smith has thrown 6 TD's in the Super Bowl?

The argument to throw out Flacco's incredible year is nonsense.

Did he got hot at the right time? Yes.

Is it indicative of how he performs week in and week out? No, it's not.

But you know who hasn't shown the ability to get hot for 4 games straight, win shootouts against playoff teams, and singlehandedly win a Super Bowl? Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor and about 90% of all other QB's in history.

But just to humor you, if you take out Flacco's incredible run, his postseason record is still 6-5. Alex Smith's is 2-4. Smith has the uncanny ability to consistently win games in the regular season and not the postseason. That puts him above guys like TT and Tanny. Flacco has the uncanny ability to dominate far beyond his average game when the stage is the biggest and deliver postseason wins. That puts him above guys like Smith.

Just thinking about typing this made me puke a little in my mouth hahaha, but I actually agree with you on Flacco. Like I said, people forget how good he is due to the injury and the lack of talent around him in more recent years.

Luckily I can disagree with you on one thing...hes not in the "Elite" category as that is the category of Brady, Rodgers, and Brees. But Flacco is still very good QB and certainly top 10 in the NFL. I would personally rank him around 7th if I made a top 10 list.

Isn't it nice being on the correct side for once?

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you know who hasn't shown the ability to get hot for 4 games straight, win shootouts against playoff teams, and singlehandedly win a Super Bowl? Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor and about 90% of all other QB's in history.

But just to humor you, if you take out Flacco's incredible run, his postseason record is still 5-4. Alex Smith's is 2-4. Smith has the uncanny ability to consistently win games in the regular season and not the postseason. That puts him above guys like TT and Tanny. Flacco has the uncanny ability to dominate far beyond his average game when the stage is the biggest and deliver postseason wins. That puts him above guys like Smith.

6-5, not 5-4, and to repeat, it should 7-4 if not for Lee Evans.

But just to humor you, if you take out Flacco's incredible run, his postseason record is still 6-5. Alex Smith's is 2-4. Smith has the uncanny ability to consistently win games in the regular season and not the postseason. That puts him above guys like TT and Tanny. Flacco has the uncanny ability to dominate far beyond his average game when the stage is the biggest and deliver postseason wins. That puts him above guys like Smith.

Lol yeah all good

Washington could get quite a lot if they do have to trade him. What a weird scenario. They trade a ransom for RG3 and then take Cousins in the 4th round of the same draft. Then inauspiciously release RG3 after such disappointment, turmoil and controversy - all while Cousins blossomed into a FQB. Now they might be forced to trade Cousins and, if so, they'll likely get a bunch of picks back for him. You couldn't make that up.

I am assuming that Cousins has not shown enough to be a Franchise QB. I don't believe Washington lets him go if they think he is a Franchise QB. Cousins is a hot-and-cold QB. He is in the same boat as Tyrod

I am assuming that Cousins has not shown enough to be a Franchise QB. I don't believe Washington lets him go if they think he is a Franchise QB. Cousins is a hot-and-cold QB. He is in the same boat as Tyrod

You can reasonably make the case that Cousins hasn't reached FQB status, but no way is Taylor near his status. Taylor is somewhere between a low level starting QB and a high level backup. Cousins is at minimum a mid-tier QB and arguably a franchise QB.

Flacco has been a good playoff QB. You don't know if Tanny or Tyrod are. Dalton hasn't been. Smith is 2-4 and has thrown 12 TDs and 2 INTs in those games. He's been a good playoff QB (better than in the regular season).

To be clear, I'm not discounting what Flacco has done in the playoffs. I'm just saying that he hasn't been better than a middling QB for the overwhelming majority of his career. He's not bad but he's never been the best of the best QB's in the league. I don't know if he's ever been top 10 and he certainly hasn't been since the Super Bowl.

Flacco > Cousins

Flacco would have made a 2nd Super Bowl until Bellychex busted out the super secret shady plays while the Ravens led 28-14.

Flacco had a bad year last year but I'd ride w Joe anyday. Man doesn't lose home games.

Flacco should have never lobbed that interception to end that game though, fair point.

Flacco has been a good playoff QB. You don't know if Tanny or Tyrod are. Dalton hasn't been. Smith is 2-4 and has thrown 12 TDs and 2 INTs in those games. He's been a good playoff QB (better than in the regular season).

To be clear, I'm not discounting what Flacco has done in the playoffs. I'm just saying that he hasn't been better than a middling QB for the overwhelming majority of his career. He's not bad but he's never been the best of the best QB's in the league. I don't know if he's ever been top 10 and he certainly hasn't been since the Super Bowl.

Alex Smith can't sniff Flacco's jock in the postseason. Which is why grouping him, along with two QB's who can't even get their teams to the postseason, with Flacco is crazy, to me.

Flacco is in that 15-18 range for me, right now. The thing is, once you get past Rodgers, Brees, Brady and usually Roethlisberger, everyone goes up and down. Rivers was probably the 5th best QB in the NFL 3 years ago. 4 years ago, he dropped to 15-18. 6 years ago, he was in the top 8. They're like stocks.

Once you get past the dominant, record breaking, surefire HoFers, no one is consistently really good across a 5 year period. Hell, Eli moves 10 spots almost yearly. Kirk was 20-27 3 years ago. The thing that matters is ceiling and floor. Smith has a high floor and low ceiling. He's more consistent, but never dominates. Flacco and Eli? Lower floors with exponentially higher ceilings. Those guys can go throw for throw with Brady/Rodgers when they're hot. Alex Smith can't. Ryan Tannehill can't. Tyrod Taylor can't.

Edited by FireChan

this happens with every big free agent who doesn't have a contract...he wants out if he doesn't get money. If he gets his money then he "didn't want to be anywhere else"

This and he wants to go with Shanahan to SF.

Cousins is better but throws a lot of picks in the red zone and fails in clutch situations.

Might be on the same tier but Cousins is higher than Tyrod on that tier.

Id still rather keep Tyrod.

No dude.

Cousins is further than Tyrod but still chokes when its crunch time.

Rings change things, they just do.

IMO, stats are very misleading when looking at Flacco. The offensive talent has been very poor around him for years. Oline, running backs, pass catchers, all poor. Trying to compare his stats to Dalton or even Tanny or Smith doesn't work because they have been in superior offensive systems with superior talent around them.

I would take Flacco in Buffalo any day of the week. Those other guys, meh, maybe Dalton.

Dalton is seriously underrated around here. Not so much around the league, though. He was sensational in 2015 and worked behind a really had OL this year and still looked pretty good. He hasn't always been very good. But two years ago he made a leap upwards. IMHO he's on the bubble of the top ten and will show that again next year if they can get the OL working again.

I'd take Cousins. If I were the Skins I'd do whatever I had to do. Knowing that I would have to pay $24 mill per year, would I acquire him for Buffalo paying two 1sts to do it? Man, hard question. I'd take him as an FA. Man, I don't know.

But in the end, this wanting to be elsewhere comes down to not thinking they're going to give him what he thinks he deserves. A long-term contract and I think he's suddenly thrilled to be there.

Cousins is further than Tyrod but still chokes when its crunch time.

Four 4th quarter comebacks and 4 game-winning drives last year says he doesn't. Or at least not at a high rate.

Dalton is seriously underrated around here. Not so much around the league, though. He was sensational in 2015 and worked behind a really had OL this year and still looked pretty good. He hasn't always been very good. But two years ago he made a leap upwards. IMHO he's on the bubble of the top ten and will show that again next year if they can get the OL working again.

I'd take Cousins. If I were the Skins I'd do whatever I had to do. Knowing that I would have to pay $24 mill per year, would I acquire him for Buffalo paying two 1sts to do it? Man, hard question. I'd take him as an FA. Man, I don't know.

But in the end, this wanting to be elsewhere comes down to not thinking they're going to give him what he thinks he deserves. A long-term contract and I think he's suddenly thrilled to be there.

Four 4th quarter comebacks and 4 game-winning drives last year says he doesn't. Or at least not at a high rate.

see games from 2016. Specifically the last one vs a spoiler team.