Kirk Cousins wants out of Washington

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this guy a douche? Why is he always in the headlines? What kind of contract is he expecting and what is Washington offering?

It must suck to be held hostage by a Matt Hassleback clone.

He's treating the football business as a business. The Skins had the opportunity to get him at a reasonable price. They declined last year. So now he is using the leverage that he has to get the best deal that he can. What's wrong with that?

He's treating the football business as a business. The Skins had the opportunity to get him at a reasonable price. They declined last year. So now he is using the leverage that he has to get the best deal that he can. What's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with him maximizing his $ but this could very well blow up in his face. If he is smart he gets a deal done prior to camp, is he still able to negotiate with the team under the exclusive tag? I don't ever remember a mediocre QB playing hardball with an organization quite like this. 43 million over two years is a victory but would anyone be surprised if Cousins has a bad season?

Nothing wrong with him maximizing his $ but this could very well blow up in his face. If he is smart he gets a deal done prior to camp, is he still able to negotiate with the team under the exclusive tag? I don't ever remember a mediocre QB playing hardball with an organization quite like this. 43 million over two years is a victory but would anyone be surprised if Cousins has a bad season?

mediocre?

Cousins is betting on himself again. He's willing to take the risk because if the Skins franchise him he will for the second year make high end money if he has to go that route.

Cousins is taking a wider perspective from the market standpoint. He's valuing his worth by not what the Skins are willing to give him but what other teams would give him if he was on the open market. This is a straight forward market deal. Last year the Skins told him that he was going to have to demonstrate his worth through his play. That's exactly what he has done. He not only has demonstrated his worth to the Skins but also to the rest of the league where there is shortage of good qbs.

In my mind Cousins is not an elite qb so much as a good qb. However, when there is a league-wide shortage of good qbs his value is increased. Again, Economics 101, supply and demand. In a cut throat business devoid of sentiment he is looking out for himself. What it boils down to is that he going about his business in a business like fashion. More power to him.

cousins goals

#1- get to free agency where he will sign a long term deal for $25-30 mil/yr

#2- get tagged by wash for a guaranteed 1 year $24 mil

#3- sign a long term deal with wash that averages over $25 mil/yr

#4 - get to free agency in 2018

Redskins place exclusive franchise tag on Kirk Cousins

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18790209/kirk-cousins-washington-redskins-slapped-exclusive-franchise-tag

Cousins wants to follow Shanahan to San Fran, not come to Buffalo. Sorry everyone who will fill this thread with the responses of "we need to sign this guy."

I'm sure he wouldn't mind going to San Fran to join Shanahan. But that's not the core of what is driving him. He and his agent have made a decision that there is not going to be a home town discount and that he wants to get the most money whether it is with Washington or Cleveland or San Fran or Buffalo or Houston or wherever. It doesn't matter to him. If the Skins franchise him, as it appears they will do, he will then go the year to year route to get the most out of his value. Every year he waits every year the market rate goes up. Last year the Skins could have signed him to an Osweiller type contract. The Skins didn't seize the opportunity and wanted him to prove that he was worth the grand contract. Now that he has leverage he is showing the reluctant organization that he is worth more on the market. His negotiating position is set, and he is not deviating from it.

Cousins is betting on himself again. He's willing to take the risk because if the Skins franchise him he will for the second year make high end money if he has to go that route.

Cousins is taking a wider perspective from the market standpoint. He's valuing his worth by not what the Skins are willing to give him but what other teams would give him if he was on the open market. This is a straight forward market deal. Last year the Skins told him that he was going to have to demonstrate his worth through his play. That's exactly what he has done. He not only has demonstrated his worth to the Skins but also to the rest of the league where there is shortage of good qbs.

In my mind Cousins is not an elite qb so much as a good qb. However, when there is a league-wide shortage of good qbs his value is increased. Again, Economics 101, supply and demand. In a cut throat business devoid of sentiment he is looking out for himself. What it boils down to is that he going about his business in a business like fashion. More power to him.

Great summation, I agree entirely. Good business move by an okay QB

he might not be considered elite but if he repeats his performace this past season i'd say he's in the elite category. if they had any sort of defense they'd be a contender.

he might not be considered elite but if he repeats his performace this past season i'd say he's in the elite category. if they had any sort of defense they'd be a contender.

Debating whether a qb is elite or not is often pointless. Most fair assessments of him would not categorize him as an elite or exceptional qb. So what! He is a qb who when playing with the right supporting cast can make your team a serious contending team, up to the SB level.

The Bills under Country Buddy could have drafted him with a third or fourth round pick. With a little development time he could have been our long term franchise qb who got us out of the embarrassingly generational playoff desert.

I'm not a critic of Cousins. Quite the opposite. He is the type of qb who not only would have elevated our downtrodden team but he would have played at such a competent level that watching the team would have been a more entertaining experience.

i highly doubt anyone gives up 2 or 3 first round picks AND pay +$25 mil when the player is determined to hit free agency in 2018.

Yeah, I can't really see even SF offering much more than a first for a guy who is again a FA next year. SF is completely devoid of talent on both sides of the ball, giving the Skins an RG3 like bounty would be ridiculous for Cousins, not to mention that after they gave up a ton of assets they will need to sign him to a massive contract based on what Cousins wants just to keep him. I mean I just can't see SF winning more than 4 or 5 games max next year even with Cousins. If they had a roster ready to compete, it would make a little more sense to be aggressive on getting Cousins. But, they can't afford to give up all those assets for a guy who is most often not even considered to be a top 10 QB and then have to pay him like he was top 3 or 4.

"At the end of the day, they're the ones that placed the franchise tag on him," McCartney said. "A player, when his contract is up, looks forward to going to free agency to see what his value is on the open market. This is the second straight year that's been taken away from Kirk, so the Redskins did say something about, 'Hey, this guy is worth $24 million.'

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18807650/agent-kirk-cousins-says-exclusive-franchise-tag-washington-redskins-positive

The three organizations could soon discuss a trade that would send Kirk Cousins to San Francisco, Tony Romo to

Washington and draft-pick compensation (including the No. 2 overall pick in April's draft) to Dallas, NFL Network Insider

Ian Rapoport reported Friday, via sources informed of the potential talks

March 9 will be interesting
Edited by ALF