Sal C. on Rex: Latest In Earliest to Leave HC

Fadingpain

The answer is clear, to me at least.

This was never Rex's team. Ever. You saw it over the last 2 years, the defense never rallied around him like some of those Jets teams did. They rolled over and died a lot. They took shots at him through the media a lot.

I think Rex knew he didn't have the locker room's support and ended it.

Unlike when he first arrived in NY........he didn't merit or subsequently EARN the respect of his team.

A team of mostly the same Bills players stomped his dogass Jets twice the year before.

Yet Rex felt he could just come in........trash a good defense under the haughty guise that his SYSTEM was superior.......then not personally put in the effort to make sure the system was going to work........while expecting players to be in their playbooks all night learning a bunch of sh*t they didn't want to do.

There were weeks where you could see the staff had clearly done a TERRIBLE job preparing this team.........and then weeks like the second Pats game in 2015 where you could see what they were capable of if Rex got focused on getting the job done.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike when he first arrived in NY........he didn't merit or subsequently EARN the respect of his team.

A team of mostly the same Bills players stomped his dogass Jets twice the year before.

Yet Rex felt he could just come in........trash a good defense under the haughty guise that his SYSTEM was superior.......then not personally put in the effort to make sure the system was going to work........while expecting players to be in their playbooks all night learning a bunch of sh*t they didn't want to do.

There were weeks where you could see the staff had clearly done a TERRIBLE job preparing this team.........and then weeks like the second Pats game in 2015 where you could see what they were capable of if Rex got focused on getting the job done.

The second Pats game in his first year was a masterpiece. Thats the Rex I thought we were getting. If he called every game like that Bills would have broken the drought. Edited by jeffismagic

Rex certainly seemed to have some games that were bigger than others. A dedicated professional knows every game counts. Stay at a steady 100% all season, every day.

The second Pats game in his first year was a masterpiece. Thats the Rex I thought we were getting. If he called every game like that Bills would have broken the drought.

This is why a report that Rex was LIFO of the building has some cred with me. The quality of the preparation and the game plan seemed to vary from week to week. It was so frustrating when we'd see a really good game from a well prepared team and then *pfffft* next week. He would also sometimes seem to want to try to substitute hype for preparation. Now I grant that energy/spirit can lift a lesser athlete up sometimes, but it can also lead to being too tight and making mistakes then getting frustrated - like the first Pats game.

Rex certainly seemed to have some games that were bigger than others. A dedicated professional knows every game counts. Stay at a steady 100% all season, every day.

Hmmmm you mean....."Just Do Your Job"

The second Pats game in his first year was a masterpiece. Thats the Rex I thought we were getting. If he called every game like that Bills would have broken the drought.

The thing about being complex/multiple is that you can't just march your D out there and say adjust by the book to what the alignment is.

ANYBODY can do that.

The Bills were subsequently a VERY predictable defense throughout most of his time here and offenses were just f*cking with them with late shifts/motion to intentionally confuse and take the aggressiveness out of them.

I don't care how thick your defensive playbook is........if you are just adapting to what the offense shows you.......the offense will see that on tape, show you what they want you to see and dictate the action to you.

That is NOT what he did early on with the Jets.

Other things have changed since 2009-2010.......specifically disallowing the hits on defenseless receivers and late hits on QB's that his defense was feared for......but mainly he just arrived here mailing it in as a strategist.

The answer is clear, to me at least.

This was never Rex's team. Ever. You saw it over the last 2 years, the defense never rallied around him like some of those Jets teams did. They rolled over and died a lot. They took shots at him through the media a lot.

I think Rex knew he didn't have the locker room's support and ended it.

He made Marrone look good, which is sickening to me because I don't think Marrone all that bright or all that good of a football coach. But Marrone utilized the beast front four and got turnovers, and had his team prepared for its own schemes and playing hard every week. I think If nothing else we can get back to those basic things with McDermott and we'll be better for it.

Sal C. just now on WGR 550 said he was talking to someone inside the Bills organization who has been there forever.

The contact said Rex Ryan was the latest in/earliest to leave HC he has ever seen.

Makes sense. The team didn't seem prepared on some Sundays.

Thought it was an interesting comment.

Russ

I think Rex liked the party more than the game

Sal was quite clear... someone who has bee there forever... this is NOT coming from Whaley. It is coming from one of the lifers.

Rex Ryan quit on being a Head Football Coach once he realised he was lousy at it. That often happens wih his personality type. Once they realise they can't back up the talk they check out.

and talk more

Russ

I think Rex liked the party more than the game

While Im as anti-Russ as the next guy, I highly doubt it. There are plenty of folks who have been in that building a lot longer than Russ, who Sal would have easy access to, and who could plainly see Rex was LIFO. Could be a kitchen worker, someone in ticket sales, etc. There are a lot of people that work there as a regular 9-5.

He made Marrone look good, which is sickening to me because I don't think Marrone all that bright or all that good of a football coach. But Marrone utilized the beast front four and got turnovers, and had his team prepared for its own schemes and playing hard every week. I think If nothing else we can get back to those basic things with McDermott and we'll be better for it.

I think you're giving Marrone credit for Schwartz' defensive schemes. Marrone's gift was that he hired two successful D coordinators and empowered them.

Between that game and the first Jets game it was obvious the coaching staff chose to get up for some games and have a "eh" mentality on others.

Frustrating because they could've been a team to reckon with in 2015.

I'm sure I read that the very first game of Rex in Buffalo remained until the end the highest blitz percentage of his whole time here - Colts home opener in 2015. That was closely followed by the Pats road game in 2015 and then there was a big drop off. I just find that odd. Rex's reputation came from sending blitzes..... as Brian Billick always says of him "Rex has never seen a blitz he didn't like" so why did he send guys so rarely in Buffalo?

I'm sure I read that the very first game of Rex in Buffalo remained until the end the highest blitz percentage of his whole time here - Colts home opener in 2015. That was closely followed by the Pats road game in 2015 and then there was a big drop off. I just find that odd. Rex's reputation came from sending blitzes..... as Brian Billick always says of him "Rex has never seen a blitz he didn't like" so why did he send guys so rarely in Buffalo?

He did not trust his backfield.

In 2016 that was certainly the case... but in 2015 when his corners were playing as well as any duo in the league? I wonder if it comes down to scheming up blitzes that will work requires time and film study.

His safeties were a problem both years. And they kept drafting and signing guys who flopped at that spot.

And then Marrone punted again...