The Trump Economy

GG

13 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

i disagree a bit, but for sake of argument, let's say you are correct. We are basically at zero unemployment now. Where are you going to find workers to train?

Boomers retiring at a faster pace then Gen Z are entering the workforce. Millions of open jobs can and will be, a negative effect on the economy for a myriad of reasons. Why not immigrants? 

We’ll find new workers the same way the country always has, through legal immigration. Nobody is against that, not even the President. Get in line and enter the country legally just like pretty much all of our ancestors did. It’s not complicated. It’s called the Rule of Law.

• Like (+1) 1

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

i disagree a bit, but for sake of argument, let's say you are correct. We are basically at zero unemployment now. Where are you going to find workers to train?

Boomers retiring at a faster pace then Gen Z are entering the workforce. Millions of open jobs can and will be, a negative effect on the economy for a myriad of reasons. Why not immigrants? 

This sounds to me to be exactly the kind of problem that we should want. Wages will increase to attract new hires as employers compete to fill job vacancies. People will develop greater skills in order to become more attractive to prospective employers. More unskilled labor will be filled via automation, especially with the deployment of 5G imminent. I see these as symptoms of prosperity, not as negatives at all.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Azalin said:

This sounds to me to be exactly the kind of problem that we should want. Wages will increase to attract new hires as employers compete to fill job vacancies. People will develop greater skills in order to become more attractive to prospective employers. More unskilled labor will be filled via automation, especially with the deployment of 5G imminent. I see these as symptoms of prosperity, not as negatives at all.

Correct on all accounts. And the old school way of thinking about Job Training is fading fast. Technology is evolving so rapidly that the idea of having to attend a class at some behind the times junior college just to learn new software will be a distant memory and considered a total waste of time and money.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

New York state tax revenues plummet by $3.7 billion. 

In the midst of an economic boom.

To be fair, it is possible the 2017 prepay (hubby and I did it) was a tax revenue shuffle for NYS as claimed later in the article. The article said business tax revenues were up 10%, personal down 6.6% so theoretically, the Budget Office may be correct - a lot of people took advantage of the prepay before SALT limits took place.

They lose credibility when they remark on a "expectations of a slowing economy". <_<  And they need to stop spending so much - up 4.4%. Shesh

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

New York state tax revenues plummet by $3.7 billion. 

In the midst of an economic boom.

I live in the Albany area and was downtown last summer. While waiting for my daughter to finish a meeting, I sat in front of the Capitol building in the photo from the article on a nice sunny day. I wanted to head up the front steps of that incredibly beautiful building just to walk the path that so many famous Americans had tread previously, unfortunately, there were barricades up front preventing ordinary citizens like me from doing so. No notes, no apparent construction, just a cold steel barrier and quite a few cops around the area.  I did wonder what might happen if I jumped the...let's call it a wall...and made my way to the top.  Would law enforcement come and harass me, maybe ask me for my...let's call them papers?  Would good old Andy Cuomo intervene on my behalf?  

I decided not not to risk it. I'm not Andy's type of NYer. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

To be fair, it is possible the 2017 prepay (hubby and I did it) was a tax revenue shuffle for NYS as claimed later in the article. The article said business tax revenues were up 10%, personal down 6.6% so theoretically, the Budget Office may be correct - a lot of people took advantage of the prepay before SALT limits took place.

They lose credibility when they remark on a "expectations of a slowing economy". <_<  And they need to stop spending so much - up 4.4%. Shesh

Fair enough, but when Cuomo first broke the news of the decrease in revenue, he sounded troubled by it.  I'm not one to suggest he's scared or panicking, but he most definitely sounded unsettled.  for all their reassurance, nearly $4bill is a damn chunk of money they most definitely need to keep this little 3 Card Monty game rolling. 

3 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I live in the Albany area and was downtown last summer. While waiting for my daughter to finish a meeting, I sat in front of the Capitol building in the photo from the article on a nice sunny day. I wanted to head up the front steps of that incredibly beautiful building just to walk the path that so many famous Americans had tread previously, unfortunately, there were barricades up front preventing ordinary citizens like me from doing so. No notes, no apparent construction, just a cold steel barrier and quite a few cops around the area.  I did wonder what might happen if I jumped the...let's call it a wall...and made my way to the top.  Would law enforcement come and harass me, maybe ask me for my...let's call them papers?  Would good old Andy Cuomo intervene on my behalf?  

I decided not not to risk it. I'm not Andy's type of NYer. 

Fair enough, but when Cuomo first broke the news of the decrease in revenue, he sounded troubled by it.  I'm not one to suggest he's scared or panicking, but he most definitely sounded unsettled.  for all their reassurance, nearly $4bill is a damn chunk of money they most definitely need to keep this little 3 Card Monty game rolling. 

No doubt. He has made comments recently about not being able to tax the rich continually. I "think" he sees what is happening, but can he contain Albany's spendthrift way? Does he really want to?

• Like (+1) 1

The Trump administration is walking an economic tightrope as well as any seen before.

US consumer prices rose in April, but underlying inflation remains tame

* U.S. consumer prices rose in April but underlying inflation remained muted.
* The data suggested the Federal Reserve could keep interest rates unchanged for a while.
* The Labor Department said its Consumer Price Index increased 0.3% last month, lifted by rising gasoline, rents, and health-care costs.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Big loss for us if we don’t get this deal done. It is the most important thing this administration is doing. I hope they can close it. 

I can agree with you that it is important but it is a loss only in comparison to what we hope it to be. As of today, we are already ahead.

6 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I can agree with you that it is important but it is a loss only in comparison to what we hope it to be. As of today, we are already ahead.

If he makes this deal happen and China sticks to it, it’s not only good the US, it’s good for the world. Nothing he will do besides this will be anything by comparison. 

He tackled an issue that his predecessor had neither the balls nor the economic position to tackle. 

I hope he can can close it and think he will. But the fat lady isn’t singing yet. 

16 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

If he makes this deal happen and China sticks to it, it’s not only good the US, it’s good for the world. Nothing he will do besides this will be anything by comparison. 

He tackled an issue that his predecessor had neither the balls nor the economic position to tackle. 

I hope he can can close it and think he will. But the fat lady isn’t singing yet. 

China sticking to an agreement is a BIG "if".  Like you, I hope it happens. 

China will stick to it if it’s a good deal. 

If not, they won’t. Trump gets the issue. It remains to be seen if he closes on it. He has the same issue in NK. And with Iran. So far we have talks, which is good, but mean little without closure and adherence (and with all these parties a mechanism to measure adherence). 

Edited by BeginnersMind

Idiot 

Their is no reason for the U.S. Consumer to pay the Tariffs, which take effect on China today. This has been proven recently when only 4 points were paid by the U.S., 21 points by China because China subsidizes product to such a large degree. Also, the Tariffs can be.....

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 13, 2019

..There will be nobody left in China to do business with. Very bad for China, very good for USA! But China has taken so advantage of the U.S. for so many years, that they are way ahead (Our Presidents did not do the job). Therefore, China should not retaliate-will only get worse!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 13, 2019

Beijing’s announcement comes days after the United States ratcheted up tariffs on Chinese imports as trade talks stumbled.

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Beijing’s announcement comes days after the United States ratcheted up tariffs on Chinese imports as trade talks stumbled.

Awesome!!  I’ve been looking for an opportunity to fully fund my SEP for last year. Thanks Donald! 

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Thanking incompetence, how good of you! 

Sooooo when the market tanks it’s his incompetence?  So that means that it hitting record highs during his term his competence?  I knew you’d come around. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! 

We will tax ourselves to prosperity! 

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Sooooo when the market tanks it’s his incompetence?  So that means that it hitting record highs during his term his competence?  I knew you’d come around. 

This was a direct result of his actions. How was the growth of the economy this past ten years his doing? You can't answer that question 

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Awesome!!  I’ve been looking for an opportunity to fully fund my SEP for last year. Thanks Donald! 

Barrack Obama slow jammed with Jimmy Fallon, personally imagined hundreds of thousands of jobs coming 9-10 years after he was elected, and set the stage for business leaders to acknowledge Trump's role in deregulation and tax cuts for middle class Americans. He rightly should take credit for the Chinese tariff  blow back and rest assured it IS part of His master plan. 

I'm boycotting Ho Lee Fuk's Chinese Emporium as payback.

HELL NO TO GENERAL TSO! 

HELL NO TO GENERAL TSO!

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Aide instead of trade! Welfare 

CHICAGO/WASHINGTON — U.S. Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said on Friday that President Donald Trump had asked him to create a plan to help American farmers cope with the heavy impact of the U.S.-China trade war on agriculture.

A new aid program would be the second round of assistance for farmers, after the Department of Agriculture's $12 billion plan last year to compensate for lower prices for farm goods and lost sales stemming from trade disputes with China and other nations.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2019/05/10/business/10reuters-usa-trade-china-farmers.html

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

When it tanks, it is because of Trump. When it excels, it is because of Obama. Get with the program!!

Oh boy 

China may stop purchasing US agricultural products and energy, reduce Boeing orders and restrict US service trade with China. Many Chinese scholars are discussing the possibility of dumping US Treasuries and how to do it specifically.

— Hu Xijin 胡锡进 (@HuXijin_GT) May 13, 2019

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Oh boy 

China may stop purchasing US agricultural products and energy, reduce Boeing orders and restrict US service trade with China. Many Chinese scholars are discussing the possibility of dumping US Treasuries and how to do it specifically.

— Hu Xijin 胡锡进 (@HuXijin_GT) May 13, 2019

For your own sake, never play poker for money.

• Like (+1) 1