The Trump Economy

GG

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Interesting, because today Obama decided he didn't want to be ignored any more, so he gave a speech explaining that he is responsible for the recovery.

Yeah, because Trump lifted your regulations.

My God, the left knows no boundaries. led by this delusional ****.

7 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Interesting, because today Obama decided he didn't want to be ignored any more, so he gave a speech explaining that he is responsible for the recovery.

He essentially said "Trump didn't make this nice economy, someone else made that."

Edited by snafu
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, snafu said:

He essentially said "Trump didn't make this nice economy, someone else make that."

That clown Obama needs to go into hiding and let the big boys deal with the country's economy.

Edited by njbuff

19 hours ago, njbuff said:

That clown Obama needs to go into hiding and let the big boys deal with the country's economy.

Like the economy that was in the worst financial crisis since the depression that Obama’s administration was able to turn around? He needs to shut up about the economy? The economy is one of the things I actually give him credit for. 

23 hours ago, B-Man said:

Thumbnail

He was talking about factory jobs that have been outsourced by companies like Nike to sweat shops. Obama’s right — those sweatshop jobs aren’t coming back. 

The economy is doing well right now. Certainly Trump’s administration has been around long enough to deserve credit. But it’s not like Trump found the economy in the gutter when he took office like Obama did. 

4 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Like the economy that was in the worst financial crisis since the depression that Obama’s administration was able to turn around? He needs to shut up about the economy? The economy is one of the things I actually give him credit for. 

He was talking about factory jobs that have been outsourced by companies like Nike to sweat shops. Obama’s right — those sweatshop jobs aren’t coming back. 

The economy is doing well right now. Certainly Trump’s administration has been around long enough to deserve credit. But it’s not like Trump found the economy in the gutter when he took office like Obama did. 

You wanna give credit to Obama for the economy, fine.

Go tell that to the millions of people who lost jobs under Obama and then regained their jobs under Trump.

12 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Go tell that to the millions of people who lost jobs under Obama and then regained their jobs under Trump.

Who are these “millions” of people who were jobless during Obama’s tenure and then magically found jobs when Trump was sworn in? I’ve never heard of these people.

And I’m not “wanting” to give Obama credit, I’m wanting to tell the truth. If an idea you didn’t think would work works, should you hate the idea? No. But in this country it’s what happens all too often. 

Edited by The_Dude

21 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike_sweatshops

Nike has been accused of using sweatshops since the early 1970s, when it produced goods in South Korea, the People's Republic of China, and Taiwan. As these countries' economies developed, workers became more productive, wages rose, and many moved on to higher paying jobs. Nike found cheaper labor in the People's Republic of China and Vietnam, which prohibited labor unions. When workers demanded additional rights and benefits in these countries, the Nike factories closed and moved to a different location that would enable them to continue operating at a low cost.[citation needed]

Throughout the 1990s, Nike was criticized for selling goods produced in sweatshops. They originally denied claims against them. However, in 2001, Nike director Todd McKean stated in an interview that the "initial attitude was, 'Hey, we don't own the factories. We don't control what goes on there.'[1] Quite frankly, that was a sort of irresponsible way to approach this. We had people there every day looking at quality. Clearly, we had leverage and responsibility with certain parts of the business, so why not others?" In 2005, protesters at over 40 universities demanded that their institutions endorse companies who use "sweat-free" labor. Many anti-sweatshop groups were student-led, such as the United Students Against Sweatshops. At Brown University, Nike went so far as to pull out from a contract with the women’s ice hockey team because of efforts by a student activist group that wanted a code of conduct put in place by the company.[citation needed]

Team Sweat is one of the largest groups that specifically tracks and protests against Nike. Team Sweat is "an international coalition of consumers, investors, and workers committed to ending the injustices in Nike’s sweatshops around the world" founded in 2000 by Jim Keady. While Keady was conducting his research about Nike at St. John’s University, the school signed a $3.5 million deal with Nike, forcing all athletes and coaches to endorse Nike. Keady publicly refused to support Nike and was forced to resign his position as soccer coach in 1998. Since resigning, Keady has done original research into the conditions in Nike's Sweatshops. He traveled to Indonesia and for a month lived among the Nike factory workers, surviving on $1.25 per day like they do. [2]

5 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike_sweatshops

Nike has been accused of using sweatshops since the early 1970s, when it produced goods in South Korea, the People's Republic of China, and Taiwan. As these countries' economies developed, workers became more productive, wages rose, and many moved on to higher paying jobs. Nike found cheaper labor in the People's Republic of China and Vietnam, which prohibited labor unions. When workers demanded additional rights and benefits in these countries, the Nike factories closed and moved to a different location that would enable them to continue operating at a low cost.[citation needed]

Throughout the 1990s, Nike was criticized for selling goods produced in sweatshops. They originally denied claims against them. However, in 2001, Nike director Todd McKean stated in an interview that the "initial attitude was, 'Hey, we don't own the factories. We don't control what goes on there.'[1] Quite frankly, that was a sort of irresponsible way to approach this. We had people there every day looking at quality. Clearly, we had leverage and responsibility with certain parts of the business, so why not others?" In 2005, protesters at over 40 universities demanded that their institutions endorse companies who use "sweat-free" labor. Many anti-sweatshop groups were student-led, such as the United Students Against Sweatshops. At Brown University, Nike went so far as to pull out from a contract with the women’s ice hockey team because of efforts by a student activist group that wanted a code of conduct put in place by the company.[citation needed]

Team Sweat is one of the largest groups that specifically tracks and protests against Nike. Team Sweat is "an international coalition of consumers, investors, and workers committed to ending the injustices in Nike’s sweatshops around the world" founded in 2000 by Jim Keady. While Keady was conducting his research about Nike at St. John’s University, the school signed a $3.5 million deal with Nike, forcing all athletes and coaches to endorse Nike. Keady publicly refused to support Nike and was forced to resign his position as soccer coach in 1998. Since resigning, Keady has done original research into the conditions in Nike's Sweatshops. He traveled to Indonesia and for a month lived among the Nike factory workers, surviving on $1.25 per day like they do. [2]

Ok, that’s probably all accurate. Wikipedia is well sourced and pretty accurate. 

3 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Who are these “millions” of people who were jobless during Obama’s tenure and then magically found jobs when Trump was sworn in? I’ve never heard of these people.

And I’m not “wanting” to give Obama credit, I’m wanting to tell the truth. If an idea you didn’t think would work works, should you hate the idea? No. But in this country it’s what happens all too often. 

Obama inherited a crappy economy that should have been a piece of cake to turn around. He had all kinds of room to go up. His policies stifled a decent comeback and the economy under him was stagnant. If he had adopted the policies that Trump did he would have been widely praised for creating a booming economy. Instead he hampered the turnaround by putting his idiotic policies and over regulation in place. For him to take any credit for today's economy is a joke.

3 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Ok, that’s probably all accurate. Wikipedia is well sourced and pretty accurate. 

I went with Wikipedia because they use small words, suited for your equally small mind, Tackleberry.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Obama inherited a crappy economy that should have been a piece of cake to turn around. He had all kinds of room to go up. His policies stifled a decent comeback and the economy under him was stagnant. If he had adopted the policies that Trump did he would have been widely praised for creating a booming economy. Instead he hampered the turnaround by putting his idiotic policies and over regulation in place. For him to take any credit for today's economy is a joke.

I went with Wikipedia because they use small words, suited for your equally small mind, Tackleberry.

Youre very niave when it comes to macroeconomics. Look, I’m a contractor for a living. One of the things I tell my customers is I pride myself in knowing what I don’t know. I know a ton about remodeling and stuff and I’m very aware of what I don’t know and that keeps me clean. For example, you say ‘Dude, I wanna expand the house this way and upsize my HVAC to handle it.’ I know how to inspect your electrical to see if it can sustain the additions. If it cannot, I know enough to know I ought not !@#$ with it and I need a grab my handy-dandy phone and call the experts because I know that I don’t know enough about electrical to call the shot and I don’t want to burn somebody’s house down because people have a way of becoming angry and not paying when you do that. 

Macroeconomics is like electrical to me. I know what it is. I know a bit about it. But I don’t know enough to oversee it or manage it. 

You sound to me like a guy shooting from the hip. This is very complicated stuff. My fallback on these things as an amateur historian is to think ‘ok, what was the last crisis like this’ and then go do the research on it and come up with a formula. But I cannot come up with specifics. That’s beyond me. That’s probably beyond you if you’re being genuine. So let’s not pretend economics is easy or settled science, it isn’t. 

Bro, I’m gonna tell you something and I just want you to know you can still look yourself in the mirror and say ‘I’m good enough, I’m conservative enough, and gosh darn it, people like me’ if you give a liberal credit. 

Man...in politics and war I can’t tell you how many disasters could have been averted if people could do that.  

AMAZING WHAT CAN HAPPEN WHEN AN ADMINISTRATION ISN’T AT WAR WITH THE AMERICAN PEOPLE:

Obama’s bitter sore spot: The Trump economy.

Back on center stage and partisan as ever, President Obama leaped back into politics Friday with a stemwinder stump speech on behalf of his fellow Democrats, declaring Democrats the fount of all progress, bringing up his favorite hobbyhorses, and, most notably, blasting Trump for his economy...before saying the economy was all his.

I think we know what Obama's sore spot is now.

His whole speech shows he has no idea how economies work.  According to the Daily Caller citing the speech:

Obama mentioned the financial crisis at the beginning of his term saying "When I came into office in 2009 we were losing 800,000 jobs a month."

"Millions of people were losing their homes.  Many were worried we were entering into a second Great Depression.  So we worked hard to end that crisis but also to break some of these longer-term trends," Obama said, "And initiated the longest streak of job creation on record.  We covered another 20 million Americans with health insurance and we cut our deficits by more than half, partly by making sure people like me who have been given such amazing opportunities by this country, pay our fair share of taxes, to help folks coming up behind us."

Much more at the link:

Also, butthole, (3rdnlong) on here I write like I talk. I despise people who are disingenuous and I pride myself in being authentic. So I don’t use big words. Can I? Sure. But I don’t. Why? My audience. Not that you couldn’t understand them, but it’s a football message board, not a thesis.   

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

AMAZING WHAT CAN HAPPEN WHEN AN ADMINISTRATION ISN’T AT WAR WITH THE AMERICAN PEOPLE:

Obama’s bitter sore spot: The Trump economy.

Back on center stage and partisan as ever, President Obama leaped back into politics Friday with a stemwinder stump speech on behalf of his fellow Democrats, declaring Democrats the fount of all progress, bringing up his favorite hobbyhorses, and, most notably, blasting Trump for his economy...before saying the economy was all his.

I think we know what Obama's sore spot is now.

His whole speech shows he has no idea how economies work.  According to the Daily Caller citing the speech:

Obama mentioned the financial crisis at the beginning of his term saying "When I came into office in 2009 we were losing 800,000 jobs a month."

"Millions of people were losing their homes.  Many were worried we were entering into a second Great Depression.  So we worked hard to end that crisis but also to break some of these longer-term trends," Obama said, "And initiated the longest streak of job creation on record.  We covered another 20 million Americans with health insurance and we cut our deficits by more than half, partly by making sure people like me who have been given such amazing opportunities by this country, pay our fair share of taxes, to help folks coming up behind us."

Much more at the link:

Ya know to me the most curious thing about you is I wanna know what B-Man thinks, not what B-Man agrees with. I’d much rather read your take than see you post something you agree with. 

Edited by The_Dude

53 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

From October 2016 to April 2018 (arbitrary dates I picked), there are three million more people employed, the number of workers part-time employed for economic reasons is down more than a million, the number of people participating in the labor force is up substantially, and average wages are up a dollar an hour.  That's about a third-again better than the 18 months previous to October 2016...and that's at the tail end of a very long period of time without an economic contraction.

That demonstrates how much Obama's tax and regulatory policies held back economic growth.  Doing nothing but not being Obama, Trump increased growth by a third.

51 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

You want to "tell the truth"? Why start now?

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

The economy is doing well right now. Certainly Trump’s administration has been around long enough to deserve credit. But it’s not like Trump found the economy in the gutter when he took office like Obama did

Well, if it were it certainly wouldn’t have taken Trump and his approach eight years to get us out of the mess that was largely due to the housing meltdown which was created by Washington. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That demonstrates how much Obama's tax and regulatory policies held back economic growth.  Doing nothing but not being Obama, Trump increased growth by a third.

So, like I said, I support a lot of Trumps agenda, just not the man. 

Yeah, I agree those things are great. 

Im not a fan of most of what Obama did. But, if you’re not gonna be biased, you take a look at his presidency and I think over time it will be remembered well. Look at what he got, look at what he left. Better in many categories. 

But also, I do caution on how far deregulation goes. There needs to be a bit of regulation. Many laws come from many lessons learned. 

34 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Also, butthole, (3rdnlong) on here I write like I talk. I despise people who are disingenuous and I pride myself in being authentic. So I don’t use big words. Can I? Sure. But I don’t. Why? My audience. Not that you couldn’t understand them, but it’s a football message board, not a thesis.   

Ya know to me the most curious thing about you is I wanna know what B-Man thinks, not what B-Man agrees with. I’d much rather read your take than see you post something you agree with. 

Sorry.

I would, but unfortunately I also write like you talk......................and the board doesn't need any more of that.....................?

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

There

21 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Sorry.

I would, but unfortunately I also write like you talk......................and the board doesn't need any more of that.....................?

"The Dude, contractor, part-time electrician and President-Emeritus of the He-man-woman-driver-hating Club reads B-man's reply, turns to the refrigerator, opens the door and applies some Land O' Lakes butter to that burn..."

end scene