QB driven league indeed

DCbillsfan

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roethlisberger 0TDs 1INT 224yds 27.7QBR. That QB driven league.

Pinned inside the 10 with a 2 point lead

clock ticking down to the 2 minute warning

opponent out of time outs

a run takes it down the 2:00 warning

an incompletion stops the clock and saves time for the opponent

Do you trust Tyrod to make that throw on second down?

It may be true, I've recently fought against it. Manning did win the Super Bowl because of his defense last year though.

At any rate, it's NOT a good thing for the league to have gone so far in the direction of the QB. Especially given that college teams don't seem to be producing these types of QBs because of the spread offenses in college.

Edited by horned dogs

I think this year you can make an argument that the 4 best QBs this season are in the final 4. Brees and Carr (who might be here pre injury) are the only others who are close that I can think of.

EDIT: It has definitely not been so much the case in recent years.

Edited by GunnerBill

Dallas shot themselves repearedly in the foot in yesterday's game! They spotted GB a 18 point lead from said mistakes otherwise insay be Dax instead of Rogers next week.

Also the old adage of defense wins championships is out the window. I think only 1 top 10 D is left in the final 4? (Not even sure of that. Lol)

The NFL has changed the rules so much in favor of the offense. Low scoring games are rare now. It usually indicates two terrible teams playing each other. QB has always been an important position but even more now with the rule changes.

it sure is. But the Bills have not rolled the dice often enough or very well.

The Jets have. Want to be where they are? For every mid-low round gem like Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, Tony Romo or Tom Brady, there are 50 duds. Also consider all these great QBs are a function of great coaching, so you need both.

Once every twenty or thirty years, you get a Superbowl winner carried pretty much by the defense alone.

A top-tier qb makes you relevant for a decade or more. Like it or not, you have to play the lotto on the position if you don't have one.

And then when you do, you still keep drafting. My own proclivities, btw, would be to build the lines on both sides of the ball.

Contemporary NFL skews towards the qb, however, so I think you need to make it priority 1 and 1A.

The Jets have. Want to be where they are? For every mid-low round gem like Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, Tony Romo or Tom Brady, there are 50 duds. Also consider all these great QBs are a function of great coaching, so you need both.

So we just shouldnt do it then?

Ignore the QB position all together because of the Jets drafting track record?

The only way to get a franchise QB that you keep for 10+ years is to draft one.

Edited by CountDorkula

Definitely not easy. Better odds than the lottery though. You can't win if you don't play.

And how many QBs have the Bills harvested in that time with their "let's never draft one" approach.

Once every twenty or thirty years, you get a Superbowl winner carried pretty much by the defense alone.

A top-tier qb makes you relevant for a decade or more. Like it or not, you have to play the lotto on the position if you don't have one.

And then when you do, you still keep drafting. My own proclivities, btw, would be to build the lines on both sides of the ball.

Contemporary NFL skews towards the qb, however, so I think you need to make it priority 1 and 1A.

great points and well said.

broncos, seahawks, patriots, a few times, bucaneers, ravens all won with defense in the last 17 years and im probably leaving someone out

broncos, seahawks, patriots, a few times, bucaneers, ravens all won with defense in the last 17 years and im probably leaving someone out

Tom Brady and Russell Wilson aren't top tier qbs? Flacco played out of his mind on the Ravens most recent run.

Yes, I include Manning last year as a defense driven Super bowl. Dilfer, Brad Johnson, 85 Bears.

No one is saying a great defense isn't important, but it usually isn't decisive imo.

Tom Brady and Russell Wilson aren't top tier qbs? Flacco played out of his mind on the Ravens most recent run.

Yes, I include Manning last year as a defense driven Super bowl. Dilfer, Brad Johnson, 85 Bears.

No one is saying a great defense isn't important, but it usually isn't decisive imo.

take a look at the numbers wilson was putting up those 2 years in playoffs and the top defense they had. take a look at the number 1-2 defense the pats had when brady one those first 3 superbowls. brady wasn't putting up crazy numbers. 3600-3700 yards. people forget how good that defense was. they have developed into real good/great qb's but the defense allowed them to become great. if either team does not have that defense i don't think they are even on the same team now.

Having an all-world defense isn't easy either. Especially in this era.

I hate seeing posts like "well the Ravens won with Dilfer". They had an all time great defense.

The Bills have been trying to build up their team at every other position except QB and it hasn't worked too well for the past 17 years.

Having an all-world defense isn't easy either. Especially in this era.

I hate seeing posts like "well the Ravens won with Dilfer". They had an all time great defense.

The Bills have been trying to build up their team at every other position except QB and it hasn't worked too well for the past 17 years.

we have had a lot of top 5 defenses over the years we just never compliment it with an offense to go with playing against a team that wins the division every year. we had a top 5 defense 2 years ago with mostly the same guys on the roster now!

we have had a lot of top 5 defenses over the years we just never compliment it with an offense to go with playing against a team that wins the division every year. we had a top 5 defense 2 years ago with mostly the same guys on the roster now!

None of anything you have said about defense changes the fact that Tyrod is not good enough.