QB driven league indeed

DCbillsfan

Awful idea but thanks.

I didn't expect much of a different answer from you....I'm pretty sure if you were a cartoon character you'd be Eeyore....an awful idea, why? So the Bills could have a QB that knows how to pass from the pocket? Or a QB that can adequately play in the WC offensive system, IF that's the direction McD goes in? Tyrod isn't it...never will be it. Move on.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have had a lot of top 5 defenses over the years we just never compliment it with an offense to go with playing against a team that wins the division every year. we had a top 5 defense 2 years ago with mostly the same guys on the roster now!

Exactly, it goes to show that unless it's a defense loaded with HOFers, you need that QB to make plays and clutch up for you when it matters. Tyrod hasn't done that in 2 years.

GBs defense isn't good. Rodgers made play after play yesterday to win that game. I'm not asking for Tyrod to be Rodgers but when it comes down to it, the QB has to steal some games for you. The good ones do it in the regular season, the great ones in the playoffs. Tyrod hasn't done either. And yes I know the defense wasn't good this year. Doesn't change my point.

take a look at the numbers wilson was putting up those 2 years in playoffs and the top defense they had. take a look at the number 1-2 defense the pats had when brady one those first 3 superbowls. brady wasn't putting up crazy numbers. 3600-3700 yards. people forget how good that defense was. they have developed into real good/great qb's but the defense allowed them to become great. if either team does not have that defense i don't think they are even on the same team now.

I think Russell Wilson is always going to be a qb who is better than his numbers indicate. I agree that early Brady depended a great deal on the defense, but I surmise even early Brady was more than a placeholder which is what I think a qb like Dilfer or Johnson was. Again, if you have a superlative defense, you can get by with lesser qb play. I still say, in agreement with most of your interlocutors, that stellar qb play, on balance, allows for much more wiggle room when assessing long term success.

Edited by Dr. Who

Exactly, it goes to show that unless it's a defense loaded with HOFers, you need that QB to make plays and clutch up for you when it matters. Tyrod hasn't done that in 2 years.

GBs defense isn't good. Rodgers made play after play yesterday to win that game. I'm not asking for Tyrod to be Rodgers but when it comes down to it, the QB has to steal some games for you. The good ones do it in the regular season, the great ones in the playoffs. Tyrod hasn't done either. And yes I know the defense wasn't good this year. Doesn't change my point.

except the defense has never been able to hold an opponent from scoring. the defense has got to give our offense a chance to win the game. its how seattle wins games, denver, texans. until we have the gunslinger that's what has to happen. we're not the only team looking for that qb.

the tyrod haters think there is one out there just ready for us to come get him.

Not to mention that 2 of those 4 (Rodgers and Brady) are not only HOF, but the top 3 QB's of all time (Manning/Brady/Rodgers).

Speaking of Rodgers, I didn't realize he was getting so old. I thought he was 31 but he's already 33. :cry: Best QB to ever play the game IMO - he draws up school-yard plays in the huddle to beat the Cowgirls. Greatest ever.

Edited by bobobonators

the tyrod haters think there is one out there just ready for us to come get him.

It is tiresome that so many on both sides resort so easily to hyperbole.

I don't think Taylor is very good. He doesn't see the field, makes slow reads, plays almost too safe.

That doesn't mean I hate Taylor. If he is the qb, I will hope he does well and proves my assessment inaccurate.

I like Watson and Mahomes in this draft and I would like Whaley and Co. to consider them.

I do not claim special wisdom when analyzing qbs. This is just my opinion. I am aware others dissent strongly.

I do know if you wait for a near can't miss prospect, you are rarely, if ever, going to be drafting a qb.

That seems a very bad long-term strategy to me.

Pinned inside the 10 with a 2 point lead

clock ticking down to the 2 minute warning

opponent out of time outs

a run takes it down the 2:00 warning

an incompletion stops the clock and saves time for the opponent

Do you trust Tyrod to make that throw on second down?

he lived off the running game and the D backed it up. we have the same set-up, except for the D. the Bills give up TDs instead of FGs if they're playing yesterday.

It is tiresome that so many on both sides resort so easily to hyperbole.

I don't think Taylor is very good. He doesn't see the field, makes slow reads, plays almost too safe.

That doesn't mean I hate Taylor. If he is the qb, I will hope he does well and proves my assessment inaccurate.

I like Watson and Mahomes in this draft and I would like Whaley and Co. to consider them.

I do not claim special wisdom when analyzing qbs. This is just my opinion. I am aware others dissent strongly.

I do know if you wait for a near can't miss prospect, you are rarely, if ever, going to be drafting a qb.

That seems a very bad long-term strategy to me.

Reasonable. I'm personally curious to see what Cardale can do down the line. He's got plenty of tools.

Who's won what... 1 postseason game...?

I was talking to a friend yesterday who's a big Cowgirls fan...after all this buzz about the cowgirls and how great they were this season. In the end, what was different this season than the rest of those seasons under Romo? Nothing, really.

How many great QBs are in this draft?

How many great QBs are great regardless of development staff?

How many great QBs are great because of development staff?

A. Nobody knows

B. Probably at least a few

C. None . You can't polish a turd. The player is either great or not.

It certainly helps, but there's also teams with great QBs who are not in contention. And there's teams with mediocre QBs that were in contention/have won superbowls in the past. QB is very important, but it isn't the only key. Also, if finding a great QB was so easy, we would have done it by now.

Who said anything about easy? Hopefully Whaley has learned this lesson the hard way, you never stop looking for a "franchise qb" even if you think you have one on the roster.

Reasonable. I'm personally curious to see what Cardale can do down the line. He's got plenty of tools.

Right. Cardale is an afterthought with most fans. He could develop and if he hits, he has the tools to be very good.

Long odds, I still think, but that is true for most. I think his attitude is actually good. He doesn't get flustered. Has a bit of Favre's humor/bravado.

Right. Cardale is an afterthought with most fans. He could develop and if he hits, he has the tools to be very good.

Long odds, I still think, but that is true for most. I think his attitude is actually good. He doesn't get flustered. Has a bit of Favre's humor/bravado.

agreed.

So we just shouldnt do it then?

Ignore the QB position all together because of the Jets drafting track record?

The only way to get a franchise QB that you keep for 10+ years is to draft one.

That's it. Stop tying now because of the possibility of failure.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Obviously.

Doesn't mean you can't win be Super Bowl with less then stellar QB play.

There was also many teams sitting at home during the playoffs with great QBs.

It's not all about the QB.

Maybe not all, but mostly. If you do not have a "franchise" QB, it is pretty clear that you start out in a significant hole and it is a very difficult uphill battle to have great success. A Tyrod Taylor type QB for example, might get you to the playoffs if you have a Shady McCoy and other help on the offense along with a very good defense. But as you progress in the playoffs the QB is going to need to consistently perform at a high level against good competition as well.

If your goal is to make the playoffs then fine. But if your goal is a deep run or the superbowl, you need a very good QB in todays NFL.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Having an all-world defense isn't easy either. Especially in this era.

I hate seeing posts like "well the Ravens won with Dilfer". They had an all time great defense.

The Bills have been trying to build up their team at every other position except QB and it hasn't worked too well for the past 17 years.

Sure. Kansas City's season is about what I think you can reach with a really good d and mediocre QB.

But ask San Diego about a QB being the key or Detroit or New Orleans ...

It can help... but there is lot to this.