QB driven league indeed

DCbillsfan

I'm not sure if it's been posted in this thread, but since 2001 only 5 QBs have represented the AFC in the Super Bowl. Yes, 5 QBs in 16 years...

Tom Brady (x6; '01, '03, '04, '07, '11, '14)

Peyton Manning (x4; '06, '09, '13, '15)

Ben Roethlisburger (x3, '05, '08, '10)

Rich Gannon (2002)

Joe Flacco (2012)

2016: Brady or Ben

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having an all-world defense isn't easy either. Especially in this era.

I hate seeing posts like "well the Ravens won with Dilfer". They had an all time great defense.

The Bills have been trying to build up their team at every other position except QB and it hasn't worked too well for the past 17 years.

That was exactly my point, Dilfer has a ring thanks to Ray Lewis and company.

I'm not sure if it's been posted in this thread, but since our playoff drought started only 5 QBs have represented the AFC in the Super Bowl. Yes, 5 QBs in 16 years...

Tom Brady (x6; '01, '03, '04, '07, '11, '14)

Peyton Manning (x4; '06, '09, '13, '15)

Ben Roethlisburger (x3, '05, '08, '10)

Rich Gannon (2002)

Joe Flacco (2012)

2016: Brady or Ben

Since 2003 with but 1 exception. (Flacco and Ravens SB) It has been Brady,Peyton, Big Ben every year. Edited by PatsFanNH

Top 5 is an interesting way of couching it. I could argue Brady and Rodgers as top 5 QBs with ease.

Ryan and Big Ben, would not be consensus top 5 QBs... some would put them in there, some would not. They certainly do not perform at that level every season...

Big Ben has two rings and you wouldn't put him in the top 5?

Yes every once in a while you can win out with great defense. However you have to have a great quarterback to create dynasties now. Personally I think the NFL is emphasizing too much on the most difficult position in sports. Passing looks great on highlight reals, but how many cities are watching other teams highlights in January? Is this the parity the NFL touts? Eventually I expect the infusions of elite quarterbacks in the league to be diminished by the impossible standards the NFL and fans expect. Then we should have the same three or four teams winning year after year.

So we just shouldnt do it then?

Ignore the QB position all together because of the Jets drafting track record?

The only way to get a franchise QB that you keep for 10+ years is to draft one.

We should pick our spots, not draft QBs every year like lottery tickets. How do you know what you have if you have to split snaps between 3-4-5 players?

This is already out there, but I added a graphic and disregarded Gannon (as most people do):

Since 2003 only 4 different quarterbacks have represented the AFC in the Superbowl and Flacco only broke the stranglehold of Brady, Manning and Ben once.

https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/821014145516634112/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Although I don't see Tyrod cracking this list, I don't see any other viable options over the next couple of years either. Keep Tyrod, develop a winning culture with a chance to appear in the playoffs. Groom a young QB who furthers the new culture to take us beyond just appearing the playoffs.

Edited by familykwi

I don't think he's a consensus top five QB, anymore than two ring Eli.

Pump the breaks he is light years better than "pick 6" Eli.

This may be out there already, but I found this interesting:

Since 2003 only 4 different quarterbacks have represented the AFC in the Superbowl and Flacco only broke the stranglehold of Brady, Manning and Ben once.

https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/821014145516634112/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Also seemed for a long time it was literally Brady, Manning then Big Ben then Back to Brady....

Actually don't agree with any of your 3 answers.

1. This QB class is weak, and I think the odds of even 1 "great" QB coming out of this class is very low. First of all, the odds of any GREAT QB coming out of any draft are never overwhelmingly high. The fact there are 32 teams and yet there is anywhere from 5 to 8 "great" QB's in the entire league right now (or really at any given time) depending on how loose of a definition one has for the word "great" in relation to the QB's proves that its not that easy to find a "great" QB. So to suggest at least 1 will come out of this marginal QB class at best is a bit of a stretch. Sure 1 or more always could, but its not nearly as likely as you always seem to suggest it will be.

2. This answers shows you must not have played at any level. There is not a single NFL great who was solely great based on their raw talent alone. You have no idea how much of the success on the field is because of the immense hard work put into players working on mechanics, breaking down film, practice methods, building a system around them, etc. I mean to say that all great QB's are great regardless of staff is ludicrous.

3. See above for why this answer is equally terrible and grossly inaccurate.

Huh? In the last ten drafts there's been ball park around 1-2 franchise guys per.

I never said they were great on raw talent alone. You stink at arguing.

Yes its great to have elite QBs, but as I mentioned on another post yesterday, TRENT DILFER won a SB!!! If that isnt proof that its possible without one then I dont know what is. You put TT in at QB supported by the Texans D and they win that game vs the Pats.

Edited by Livinginthepast

Once every twenty or thirty years, you get a Superbowl winner carried pretty much by the defense alone.

A top-tier qb makes you relevant for a decade or more. Like it or not, you have to play the lotto on the position if you don't have one.

And then when you do, you still keep drafting. My own proclivities, btw, would be to build the lines on both sides of the ball.

Contemporary NFL skews towards the qb, however, so I think you need to make it priority 1 and 1A.

It's definitely way more often than that. This century alone you got last year's Broncos, the Bucs, the Ravens and at least one, if not both, of those Giants teams. Edited by metzelaars_lives

I'm all for finding a great QB.

Obviously it gives you a big advantage. Until you find one stick with the guy who's done a decent job and do everything you can to win with him.

If the Bills had a decent qb I am sure they would be glad to stick with him

It's definitely way more often than that. This century alone you got last year's Broncos, the Bucs, the Ravens and at least one, if not both, of those Giants teams.

Giants? Eli is a good qb. He is by far better then anything the Bills have had since Kelly .

If the Bills had a decent qb I am sure they would be glad to stick with him

Giants? Eli is a good qb. He is by far better then anything the Bills have had since Kelly .

Yes, he's a hall of famer. He's also not the reason the Giants beat the Pats twice. Certainly not the year the Pats were 18-0 and the Giants held them to 17 points. Much the same way Peyton Manning is a hall of famer and also not the reason the Broncos won it last year. Edited by metzelaars_lives

That's not at all what I said.

My view has long been that we keep Tyrod (or if another vet option is out there, I'm open to the idea), and then draft a QB at a reasonable spot (likely not in the first round), let the new guy and Cardale compete for backup/development, and go from there.

I think it's silly to ditch Tyrod and reach for whomever in the first round because 'that's the way'.

I'll agree with that with this caveat...if you like a QB you better draft him a full round before where you have him slotted. If you wait for a QB to drop to you it's likely you'll be waiting a very long time (17 years even).

Top 5 is an interesting way of couching it. I could argue Brady and Rodgers as top 5 QBs with ease.

Ryan and Big Ben, would not be consensus top 5 QBs... some would put them in there, some would not. They certainly do not perform at that level every season...

Ponder this...you don't need a top 5 all time QB, you just need a top tier QB at that place in time.

Yes, he's a hall of famer. He's also not the reason the Giants beat the Pats twice. Certainly not the year the Pats were 18-0 and the Giants held them to 17 points. Much the same way Peyton Manning is a hall of famer and also not the reason the Broncos won it last year.

Talk all you want, but, Dilfer and last year's P Manning win zero of those games.