Schefter: Bills to give new HC more power within org

I don't understand why it wouldn't be...the coach is the one who is trying to put all the pieces together in his system...unless there is some overriding factor with the Salary Cap, I would think they should be the ones who have the final say.

No they shouldn't. They don't really have time to scout and look at film and go and see these guys in person.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No they shouldn't. They don't really have time to scout and look at film and go and see these guys in person.

Huh? They are the ones who are conducting training camp and are seeing them in person. That comment makes no sense...control of the 53 means who gets cut after training camp, not who to draft.

Now if we are talking about waiver wire pickups after cuts then yeah I agree, but as far as deciding who makes the team coming out of training camp, it SHOULD be the coach.

Huh? They are the ones who are conducting training camp and are seeing them in person. That comment makes no sense...control of the 53 means who gets cut after training camp, not who to draft.

Now if we are talking about waiver wire pickups after cuts then yeah I agree, but as far as deciding who makes the team coming out of training camp, it SHOULD be the coach.

Control of the 53 is all of it. All of the guys brought in during the season. The Bills probably had 20 different players brought in that played. It includes the draft. Free agency. The HC works with the GM in training camp very closely to decide on the 53. But the HC isn't responsible for the salary cap, which is another substantial deciding factor in how that 53 in total is made up. Most teams have the GM decide the 53. Edited by Kelly the Dog

This would point to someone like Coughlin who wouldn't take an interview with Whaley controlling the 53. More power will be more attractive to coaches like him or other coaches who wouldn't take an interview with us otherwise. No way Lynn gets that kind of power, it would need to be someone with experience to give up that much control

Don't believe that hype. Coughlin wants to coach. The Bills haven't approached him and his agent is spinning. How many reports emerged a few weeks ago about how Coughlin liked the Bills gig? That was agent speak too. Now other candidates are being interviewed and he's not and the narrative changes... 👌then.

Full control of the 53 man roster + practice squad? Doesn't seem likely that the GM wouldn't have final say on draft picks/free agents.

I think you're right. Didn't Whaley at one point say/hint that he was open to relinquishing some power over the roster?

Ideally, I think the GM ought to be tasked with acquiring talent. That's his expertise.

I think the HC should then evaluate the players he has and figure out which ones produce the most in his scheme with the players around them.

I don't think the HC should have final say on draft picks or FAs though he ought to provide input. But he should have final say on the 53 man final roster, the players on the practice squad, and who dresses on Sunday. And maybe Whaley agrees with that.

So Whaley loses a little power there. But he gains in power because he now chooses the HC and I'm guessing the org chart will change so that the HC works for the GM, too.

It's weird that nothing in the article supports the article's title. Am I missing it? "Here's what happened with the Rex firing and here's what's going on with the coaching search" would've been more accurate. Other than the misleading title, it's a good synopsis of what we've already heard.

Yep. Weird.

Parcells wanted to buy his own groceries. BB does his own shopping. There is no clear leader at OBD, just a bunch of back stabbing, rumors, lies and innuendo. This little soap opera ain't over.

Whaley signed players. Rex decided who played. How do you envision a football leader would change that dynamic?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The HC is watching tape on every player available during the season to bring in guys to replace injured players? Whaley, despite his flaws, is fantastic at pro personnel scouting and bringing in no name guys who contribute.

There is more to control of the final 53 than cutting guys during camp.

Parcells wanted to buy his own groceries. BB does his own shopping.

Both of them proved they could cook first, then got control. No recent HC, or any we are looking at in interviews, has earned that right yet.

You can spend money on the fanciest groceries and best ingredients, but if the chef cant cook it will still taste like crap.

There's an emerging trend for you.

Id say the trend is more with the media. I'm looking for real substance but keep coming up empty handed.

I'd rather have no reports than fake reports. If reporters don't have anything real to say, then talk about something else. JMO.

This whole "control of the 53" issue is a red herring. Rex got the players he wanted -- Tyrod (Rex knew him years ago in Baltimore and claimed he wanted him for the Jets), Darby (Rex needed cover DB's), Harvin, S-Lawson, Ragland, Washington. Whaley didn't call substitutions or rotations for Rex. Rex got the coaches he wanted too, all 479 of them including Roman and Rob Ryan.

Marv didn't tell Polian who to draft. They talked about where the roster was short, like most coaches and GM's.

The Parcells cooking story sounds good but Parcells himself knew he wasn't scouting on Saturdays. What he meant was that he knew best where he needed help, not who was the best player. So if Parcells needed a safety he didn't want someone else drafting Joey Galloway @ WR -- which he was consulted on.

I'm so tired of being fed crap by so-called experts.

This whole "control of the 53" issue is a red herring. Rex got the players he wanted -- Tyrod (Rex knew him years ago in Baltimore and claimed he wanted him for the Jets), Darby (Rex needed cover DB's), Harvin, S-Lawson, Ragland, Washington. Whaley didn't call substitutions or rotations for Rex. Rex got the coaches he wanted too, all 479 of them including Roman and Rob Ryan.

Marv didn't tell Polian who to draft. They talked about where the roster was short, like most coaches and GM's.

The Parcells cooking story sounds good but Parcells himself knew he wasn't scouting on Saturdays. What he meant was that he knew best where he needed help, not who was the best player. So if Parcells needed a safety he didn't want someone else drafting Joey Galloway @ WR -- which he was consulted on.

I'm so tired of being fed crap by so-called experts.

I am tired of the Doug Whaley narrative.