Bills' Player to Tyler Dunne: Rob Ryan was the Problem on D

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my observation, our defensive schemes werent the problem. Ajayi and Bell were running through 8 and even 9 man fronts with ease.

That has zero to do with coaching and everything to do with poor tackling and gap control. Players were at fault, just like they were in both Jets games.

Bring in any coach you want, we need better players or we'll still get shredded.

From my observation, our defensive schemes werent the problem. Ajayi and Bell were running through 8 and even 9 man fronts with ease.

That has zero to do with coaching and everything to do with poor tackling and gap control. Players were at fault, just like they were in both Jets games.

Bring in any coach you want, we need better players or we'll still get shredded.

Except for the total chaos in the communication and plan. They had 10 guys on the field how many times? The play calls come in late, etc.... The Ryan defense hasn't worked in a while.

If there were players who were unsure of gap assignments or any other responsibilities, that's the split second of hesitancy that can the difference.

No no no...this can't be right. Remember that Rob and Ed Reed were going to help a lot because they were familiar with the system. Plus...how can having 27 coaches on staff, not work?

One coach for every two players has to be a win win situation.

Edited by LabattBlue

That must explain the bad tackling . . . .

I am glad to find out that we have championship defensive players and the scheme was the only thing keeping them back from a Super Bowl.

No one is defending every player unlike you who keeps defending the Ryans....and poor coaching can explain bad tackling

Edited by nucci

People don't change their minds when they think they know what they know. These players were good before. Rex came to town and they suck. The players didn't change. The scheme turned to ****.

To be fair, we have a lot of players now who weren't there under Schwartz.

I said a similar thing about the Bills OL in 2014/2015. Many were all, "our OL sucked, they're the worst, they're all bums". I was like, several of the same guys who were pretty good before, maybe it's the LG (6'8" Colin Brown then the oft-injured Chris Williams) and RG (Pears, a servicable RT) that are the problem, plus the coaching and scheme. Sure enough, bring in a damn good LG and a raw, but game RG and the line became decent.

I would believe a similar thing might be true of the D: we need to replace Aaron Williams and we will have a missing piece or two if the scheme changes or we let Gilmore walk. But I think we can see a similar "instant improvement)

Whether you think Rob Ryan (or Rex for that matter) is good or bad:

Have any of these players in their anonymous quotes to Ty Dunne taken responsibility for not tackling, being either too dumb or too lazy to learn the playbook, not making plays when they were in position to make plays, slowing down to look at/blame someone else rather than try to tackle the guy running into the end zone . . . .

The Ryan brothers are gone.

We still are going to be stuck with some of these players.

That played better for a different DC

and yes....players should also be accountable

No one is defending every player unlike you who keeps defending the Ryans....and poor coaching can explain bad tackling

Great. I just think that a thread that is now 9 pages needed a bit of perspective.

We are still stuck with these guys . . . no matter what you think of Rex or Rob.

If you are a Buffalo Bills fan, it should concern you that:

Guys cannot tackle.

Guys cannot make plays even when they are in position.

Guys would prefer to slow down and look over at a teammate to blame him rather than run after a guy headed to the end zone.

Guys are too stupid to even realize that they are admitting that they are stupid or lazy. The next coordinator better come with his crayons.

Guys would rather anonymously take shots at someone than be accountable. At least Marcell did not hide . . . although Bart Scott was correct in his observations.

I feel so much better.

Perhaps.

If it worked to put 11 great athletes on the field and say "sic 'em", sandlot football would work in the NFL. To have a shot at tackling the top athletes on the other side, there has to be a reasonably matched O and D playcall, clear understanding of each player's role and responsibility, and finally, execution.

I'm not giving the players a pass: at times this season, they were IMHO 'phoning it in'. "Phoning it in" is one response to frustration, not the best, most mature response obviously but these guys weren't hired because they're the best most mature people. There were missed tackles that should have been made, yeah. And now we're hearing whisperings about sleeping in meetings and so forth - not a good look

But people don't appreciate sometimes how the difference between beating a block or getting handled, or making a tackle vs grabbing futilely at the shoestrings, is an extra fraction of a second to think before one reacts, or of being in the wrong place 'cuz one missed the memo.

Great. I just think that a thread that is now 9 pages needed a bit of perspective.

We are still stuck with these guys . . . no matter what you think of Rex or Rob.

If you are a Buffalo Bills fan, it should concern you that:

Guys cannot tackle.

Guys cannot make plays even when they are in position.

Guys would prefer to slow down and look over at a teammate to blame him rather than run after a guy headed to the end zone.

Guys are too stupid to even realize that they are admitting that they are stupid or lazy. The next coordinator better come with his crayons.

Guys would rather anonymously take shots at someone than be accountable. At least Marcell did not hide . . . although Bart Scott was correct in his observations.

I feel so much better.

I think a lot has to do with the way the players were being coached by a players coach who would rather be their friend while allowing very little accountability Just like in what happened at the end of his run with the Jets I think Ryan lost his players in Buffalo at the end.

Whoever was the SOB that let it be leaked to the media that Ryan might be fired on the Monday after the Steeler game and Tyrod benched really screwed the team chances for the playoffs in 2016 because it sure looked to me like they had no heart in that game. Yes, the chances were very slim and the stars had to align just right. Still, someone at OBD stabbed the defense right in the heart.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/11/power-struggle-behind-bills-potential-coaching-change/

Yes, Rex Ryan's defense was overly complex but according to Marcel Dareus, it wasn't as complex as it was playing for Saban in Alabama. In Ryan's scheme, the playbook was overloaded with far too many plays to learn. The players needed to read and react based on what they saw rather than just going by instinct which can cause the players to hesitate. Rex ran a lot of a two-gap run stopping plays in 2015 which a player had far more responsibilities depending on what the offense was doing in like 6-8 reads while waiting for the play to develop.

Discipline was also an issue with Ryan from the very start as the Bills were the #2 team in the league in penalties. In week four against the NY Giants, the Bills defense gave the Giants 7 first downs on offense. Seven, really? The Bills defense was doing the work for the Giants offense.

The Bills defense had constant communication problems from the start too. Late incoming play calls, late player substitutions. Players running in and out on different downs and changing plays, players shifting on the line and not set when the ball is snapped.

Anyone who had seen the Bills play the Jets in 2014 would be scratching their heads asking why would someone hire a head coach that just went 4-12? The Buffalo Bills didn't just beat Rex Ryan's teams that year as they destroyed them with 11 sacks, 8 turnovers and so much so it was actually comical. Geno Smith went 2 of 8 for 5 yards with 3 INTs in that first game.

The Bills defensive players should be fine with better coaching just like they were under Jim Schwartz. There is some talk of the Bills hiring Gus Bradley to be the DC and if so he should get the defense back into the top ten. Wade Phillps would also be a great pickup to run the defense.

Whether you think Rob Ryan (or Rex for that matter) is good or bad:

Have any of these players in their anonymous quotes to Ty Dunne taken responsibility for not tackling, being either too dumb or too lazy to learn the playbook, not making plays when they were in position to make plays, slowing down to look at/blame someone else rather than try to tackle the guy running into the end zone . . . .

The Ryan brothers are gone.

We still are going to be stuck with some of these players.

I'm not giving the players a pass, but missed tackles are often the first/easiest thing we remember when the defense sucks. The Dolphins game (2nd) is a good example. I've agreed w your assessment Whaley is as culpable to the stink around here as Rex was, but Rob's downward trajectory unfortunately followed him to Buffalo.

I think a lot has to do with the way the players were being coached by a players coach who would rather be their friend while allowing very little accountability Just like in what happened at the end of his run with the Jets I think Ryan lost his players in Buffalo at the end.

Whoever was the SOB that let it be leaked to the media that Ryan might be fired on the Monday after the Steeler game and Tyrod benched really screwed the team chances for the playoffs in 2016 because it sure looked to me like they had no heart in that game. Yes, the chances were very slim and the stars had to align just right. Still, someone at OBD stabbed the defense right in the heart.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/11/power-struggle-behind-bills-potential-coaching-change/

Yes, Rex Ryan's defense was overly complex but according to Marcel Dareus, it wasn't as complex as it was playing for Saban in Alabama. In Ryan's scheme, the playbook was overloaded with far too many plays to learn. The players needed to read and react based on what they saw rather than just going by instinct which can cause the players to hesitate. Rex ran a lot of a two-gap run stopping plays in 2015 which a player had far more responsibilities depending on what the offense was doing in like 6-8 reads while waiting for the play to develop.

Discipline was also an issue with Ryan from the very start as the Bills were the #2 team in the league in penalties. In week four against the NY Giants, the Bills defense gave the Giants 7 first downs on offense. Seven, really? The Bills defense was doing the work for the Giants offense.

The Bills defense had constant communication problems from the start too. Late incoming play calls, late player substitutions. Players running in and out on different downs and changing plays, players shifting on the line and not set when the ball is snapped.

Anyone who had seen the Bills play the Jets in 2014 would be scratching their heads asking why would someone hire a head coach that just went 4-12? The Buffalo Bills didn't just beat Rex Ryan's teams that year as they destroyed them with 11 sacks, 8 turnovers and so much so it was actually comical. Geno Smith went 2 of 8 for 5 yards with 3 INTs in that first game.

The Bills defensive players should be fine with better coaching just like they were under Jim Schwartz. There is some talk of the Bills hiring Gus Bradley to be the DC and if so he should get the defense back into the top ten. Wade Phillps would also be a great pickup to run the defense.

Excellent post. For the people who say "the players should just tackle", it isn't that simple. Each player in a scheme has a very specific responsibility or role. When one doesn't know their responsibility or communication fails, the defensive stance falls apart because players have to leave their role to fill another, and so on. But, which player decides to assume this new role? This has to be efficiently communicated or a player needs to think and decide. This needs to be done in milliseconds and if it takes too long, tackles will be missed or perhaps not even attempted. Now you have players who are playing out of their normal role, trying to decide who is going to fill the void. Taking on a new role, they take on new tackling angles and their efficiency to shut the play down drops.