Why doesn't Pegula fire Whaley?

Rockee96

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure where the "you got a year" report came from, but if it's true that Whaley has only a year then Pegula really should fire him now.

I think it should be more "you get a shot with your own coach, as long as that lasts".

For the life of me, I don't understand why Pegula does not fire Whaley.

It is obvious to us fans, the rest of the NFL, and the common person that Whaley is a horrible GM and will lead the franchise deeper in ruin.

I know it's not as simple as I stated, but is Terry that blind?

Also, how can Terry be so blind about Russ Brandon while the rest of the world can see so clearly that Russ and Whaley needs to go? What incentive does Terry have to keep Whaley and Brandon?

I've been a fan for 25 years, and this time around, I just don't get it.

You clearly do not get it - you are colored by your opinion and assume all ("us"), rest of NFL (something you have no insight in) and "common man".

Written more clearly: "It is obvious to me, myself, and I that Whaley is a horrible GM and will lead the franchise deeper in ruin."

The incentive they need is for you to follow another team and maybe, just maybe, they will regret their decision.

Most of the fanbase smoking their bongs agrees with you too, regardless of the frantic spinning going on in here by the few attempting to defend the indefensible.

Corrected.

It is obvious to us fans, the rest of the NFL, and the common person that Whaley is a horrible GM and will lead the franchise deeper in ruin.

Also, how can Terry be so blind about Russ Brandon while the rest of the world can see so clearly that Russ and Whaley needs to go? What incentive does Terry have to keep Whaley and Brandon?

Whaley probably told Pegula- I built a 4th ranked defense, a #1 ranked special teams and now this season a 7th ranked offense and you hired a guy that tore apart the defense. I did my job.

coincidentally, the only way doug still has this job three years from now is he starts doing the opposite. every instinct the guy has is wrong, so the opposite would have to be right.

He also leaves every engagement on a high note to ensure that he always leaves the Pegula's and Bills executives thinking he's great.

Maybe because he actually works with him and sees what is going on instead of believing the Buffalo New's witch hunt and bitter, pissed off reporting like a bunch of spoiled rich kids who don't get acces to their Dad's Ferrari for the prom?

I'm not sure where the "you got a year" report came from, but if it's true that Whaley has only a year then Pegula really should fire him now.

if you look at what jw said in the other thread, this is what his fear is; in 12 months we will be doing this again. If that is the case rip the damn band aid off now....

"It's not the roster it's the coaching stupid"

That's the narrative that sold. Maybe it's right, let's see...

I've been a fan for 28 years and I'd say Whaley has built better rosters than the last several GMs.

I've been saying that we have had more talent over the last 3 years, too.

Because he probably has no clue who to hire to replace him

Didn't you hear? Russ Brandon has turned it all over to Whaley...in terms of accountability.

Meaning that in the next two years if the team still isn't winning more than losing and not in the playoffs all the blame is ALL on Whaley's shoulders!

And yet, the owners will have the last say in who ultimately gets hired and who do you think is still advising them? http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/03/russ-brandon-still-looms-over-bills-football-operations/

Nothing on the Buffalo Bills has changed in any way shape or form except Whaley gets all the blame and will get fired should the team not succeed. Then, Jim Monos gets hired to replace Whaley and becomes Brandon's new yes man!

The ONLY way this thing gets blown up and Brandon will be shown the door is if the team goes into the toilet at 4-12 or worse and even then Brandon will probably dodge all responsibility. Previously I didn't want the SOB gone from the team, just away from the football side. Now I realize that this man is a such a selfish bastard that he refuses to allow the owner to bring in a team president of football operations to help build a super bowl contender because it would mean he would need to give up some power.

Let's hope that at some point Terry wakes up from Grima Wormtongue's spell and cleans house!

Edited by Nihilarian

I don't get the hate on whaley. He has brought in solid free agents on the cheap and is getting several solid players every draft. Last offseason he brought in 2 cheap LBs with probowl level talent and hopefully 1-2 draft picks will become pro-bowl level talent.

People say he hasn't found a QB, what QB could he find better than Taylor? If you look at espn's ranking for total QBR for 2016, only one player ranks higher than Taylor that Whaley could have gotten: Prescott. If you look at the top 20 who could he get? Maybe Carr. We can debate Palmer, Alex Smith, Bradford. Thats it for people available in the last 4 years without a top 2 pick. Everyone else is an orton or definitely worse than Taylor. About half the teams are looking for a QB upgrade, they are hard to find.

"It's not the roster it's the coaching stupid"

That's the narrative that sold. Maybe it's right, let's see...

I've been a fan for 28 years and I'd say Whaley has built better rosters than the last several GMs.

While the Bills roster has been closer to the playoffs than it's been in quite a while. It's still not good enough with holes at many positions, S, SS, WR, RT! Whaley let Chris Hogan leave and didn't replace that lost talent with anything close and this when he knew that Watkins would still be recovering from foot surgery.

Let's not forget that Doug Whaley wasn't the one who vouched for the all pro LG to be signed in Buffalo as that was Rex Ryan. It wasn't Whaley who wanted to sign Tyrod Taylor as it was Rex Ryan again who wanted him from his time with the NY Jets. Where would this team be talent wise without Incognito and Tyrod? Bills fans don't recall how poorly Cordy Glenn and Eric Woods looked before Richie arrived and helped elevate both their games.

It's going to take more than a talented coaching staff to get this team into the playoffs should Whaley dump Tyrod Tayor.

Well you're right about one thing you are a fan and that's all.

The problem is what is obvious to you is you and I and just about everyone else talking about this, we likely know less than about 1% of what is truly going on. So you really know nothing is the bottom line except that you are a fan which is short for fanatic! No one on this or any message board thinks logically and smart, we think and talk as fans.

As GM, Whaley has to be good at exactly two things:

(1) Acquiring quality personnel via the draft and free agency

(2) Hiring a good head coach

Is kissing the butts of the media on that list? Take another look if you're not sure.

Is speaking well on that list?

No? Okay then.

Unfortunately we're in for 1-3 years of further suffering under this regime. Ultimately Ralph's former managers will run out of rope and they'll all be shown the door - Whaley, Brandon, Berchtold, the whole gang - a complete draining of the swamp (to use the parlance of our times). But Terry is too classy to do it now, without first giving them one more chance to right the ship.

I believe we have great ownership. The Pegulas will, ultimately, restore glory to this franchise. But they're going to do it their way, patiently and methodically. It's going to take time.

Didn't you hear? Russ Brandon has turned it all over to Whaley...in terms of accountability.

Meaning that in the next two years if the team still isn't winning more than losing and not in the playoffs all the blame is ALL on Whaley's shoulders!

And yet, the owners will have the last say in who ultimately gets hired and who do you think is still advising them? http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/03/russ-brandon-still-looms-over-bills-football-operations/

Nothing on the Buffalo Bills has changed in any way shape or form except Whaley gets all the blame and will get fired should the team not succeed. Then, Jim Monos gets hired to replace Whaley and becomes Brandon's new yes man!

The ONLY way this thing gets blown up and Brandon will be shown the door is if the team goes into the toilet at 4-12 or worse and even then Brandon will probably dodge all responsibility. Previously I didn't want the SOB gone from the team, just away from the football side. Now I realize that this man is a such a selfish bastard that he refuses to allow the owner to bring in a team president of football operations to help build a super bowl contender because it would mean he would need to give up some power.

Let's hope that at some point Terry wakes up from Grima Wormtongue's spell and cleans house!

Russ Brandon rubs me the wrong way too but let's think logically about this just for a second then you can resume the insanity if you'd like.

Do you really think Brandon doesn't want the Bills to be a Super Bowl contender? And do you think this team is a "team president of football operations" away from being a Super Bowl contender?

I just think in the end it comes down to good players and good coaches working well together. We haven't have a good coach. If Whaley can find a diamond in the rough then the team will be fine and Whaley will be GM for a long time.

But I do find the "Russ Brandon is pure evil sworn to destroy the mental well-being of Western New York sports fans forever" theories to be entertaining.

I believe we have great ownership. The Pegulas will, ultimately, restore glory to this franchise. But they're going to do it their way, patiently and methodically. It's going to take time.

Absolutely.