Source: Broncos expected to be interested in Anthony Lynn

YoloinOhio

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand completely the complexities of the last 10 years of Mr Wilson's ownership and how that negatively affected coaches and free agents alike. Still, the reality of who they can hire seems much more similar to those 10 years, than they do different.

I feel that's due to the fact that so much of the organization from Wilson's ownership is still here, including Brandon, Littman, Overdorf, Berchtold, and trainer Bud Carpenter, plus a host of guys reporting to them.

Under Wilson, we wouldn't pay top $ for coaches and he had little trust in GMs. The Bills had to back Nix into the role, bringing him back as national scout for 11 months before naming him GM. Likewise, Doug Whaley had to be eased cautiously through the door as director of pro personnel. Overdorf, to this day, oversees all player contracts which are approved by Littman and Brandon.

To be honest, I wish we would do what the Jets did 2 years ago and what the 49ers might be about to do - clear everyone out, hold a careful search for a GM, let that GM hire his people including those who negotiate contracts, let the GM hire the coach.

I don't see that happening.

this is total nonsense. Denver is not going after a guy with under a year of play-calling experience. This is 100% Lynn's agent and/or Rooney Rule.

Lynn has stated that he will not allow himself to be interviewed as a Rooney rule 1st minority in and you discount his relationship with Elway.

I feel that's due to the fact that so much of the organization from Wilson's ownership is still here, including Brandon, Littman, Overdorf, Berchtold, and trainer Bud Carpenter, plus a host of guys reporting to them.

Under Wilson, we wouldn't pay top $ for coaches and he had little trust in GMs. The Bills had to back Nix into the role, bringing him back as national scout for 11 months before naming him GM. Likewise, Doug Whaley had to be eased cautiously through the door as director of pro personnel. Overdorf, to this day, oversees all player contracts which are approved by Littman and Brandon.

To be honest, I wish we would do what the Jets did 2 years ago and what the 49ers might be about to do - clear everyone out, hold a careful search for a GM, let that GM hire his people including those who negotiate contracts, let the GM hire the coach.

Agree with you on every point

Littman has been gone for years.

I wish it would happen. How can you have a sub-standard NFL team year in and year out and keep the same cast of characters in their jobs! I include Whaley in this group as well.

On the other hand, there can be this media-generated sense of urgency. I would really like to feel like the Bills are considering options and not just pulling the trigger fast on the alleged "hot" name - shades of Marrone.

This. Fool me once...

Not saying Lynn wouldn't be a good HC, just don't rush the decision because of rumors.

Lynn has stated that he will not allow himself to be interviewed as a Rooney rule 1st minority in and you discount his relationship with Elway.

Friendship is one thing, Business another. Elway is a pretty astute dude. He didn't let the Broncs overpay for Osweiler or Fitz, and I don't think he's going to give the keys to the car to a guy with part of a season as OC because he has a good relationship with him as a person.

How's he going to "not allow" that?

Um, Lynn can simply decline any interview where they haven't already satisfied the Rooney rule? Do I not understand the question?

I'm reminded of how Denver went after another property of Buffalo's in the past - Bruce Smith - worked out pretty good for Buffalo to decide to hang onto Bruce. But, that's neither here nor there.

Anyhow, I very much like Anthony Lynn's response to the last question in the post-game presser. Lynn was asked as to why Adollphus Washington was inactive for the first time this season ...
Lynn's response ... "Well, I thought Coleman practiced better than him this week". Practice counts with Lynn and that's a very good thing for all involved when a coach holds a player accountable for not practicing well. And the word "accountable" gets tossed around so much it almost means nothing, but when a player actually gets put on the inactive list after a bad week of practice ... that's a real demonstration of holding people accountable. I like it. Not saying Lynn is or isn't the solution for the Bills' HC woes, but I'd like to see him have a go at it - hopefully for a very, very long time.

Edited by ChasBB

I'm reminded of how Denver went after another property of Buffalo's in the past - Bruce Smith - worked out pretty good for Buffalo to decide to hang onto Bruce. But, that's neither here nor there.

Anyhow, I very much like Anthony Lynn's response to the last question in the post-game presser. Lynn was asked as to why Adollphus Washington was inactive for the first time this season ...

Lynn's response ... "Well, I thought Coleman practiced better than him this week". Practice counts with Lynn and that's a very good thing for all involved when a coach holds a player accountable for not practicing well. And the word "accountable" gets tossed around so much it almost means nothing, but when a player actually gets put on the inactive list after a bad week of practice ... that's a real demonstration of holding people accountable. I like it. Not saying Lynn is or isn't the solution for the Bills' HC woes, but I'd like to see him have a go at it - hopefully for a very, very long time.

i like this too

Friendship is one thing, Business another. Elway is a pretty astute dude. He didn't let the Broncs overpay for Osweiler or Fitz, and I don't think he's going to give the keys to the car to a guy with part of a season as OC because he has a good relationship with him as a person.

Um, Lynn can simply decline any interview where they haven't already satisfied the Rooney rule? Do I not understand the question?

He was very willing to overpay for Osweiler, the QB chose Houston over Denver.

And it's not really over paying, it's the going rate for a 2nd tier QB

Edited by klos63

I recall reading that terms of the sale included keeping some of these people on the payroll....I don't have proof or a link .....just remember reading it

That's all fine and good, but if Lynn gets the job, let's hope he fixes the practice issue before game day. I really don't want backups starting in meaningful games.