1. 1. Would you take Wade back?

• Yes, as head coach
    • Yes, as defensive coordinator
    • No

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anybody listen to Joe Maddon's speech after the Cubs finally won. Let that sink in. Winning has nothing to do with curses, jinxes, superstitions, tradition, etc...

Even though Joe was one swing away from losing it all... He is spot on!

"Q. I've got a feeling, in fact, I know that people tried to make this season about the 107 previous teams that came along. I got a sense over the last few weeks that this was about this team, these 25. I wonder if you could sort of explain to me how you sort of narrow that focus to you 25 guys, not 107 years worth of team?

JOE MADDON: Well, I haven't been here. I've been an American Leaguer. I never was in Chicago, Wrigley, until a couple years ago. But there's been a lot of burden placed, and I think, quite frankly, it's misplaced. The fact that it's today. It's now. It's present tense. And I totally respect what's happened in the past, and I totally respect our fan base. But if you just want to carry the burden with you all the time, tonight would never happen.

So for me, it was about in Spring Training trying to define this whole thing, and that's where really running towards expectations and running towards pressure was really important, I thought, as opposed to running away from it.

I think, my perception, and again I might be wrong, but that's what I think I've seen and heard about in the past. Everybody's waiting for the other shoe to drop. And you've got to expect something good to happen as opposed to that.

And I know even tonight, I'm certain people would be doubtful the way it all played out, but that's the game of baseball. There's professionals on both sides. Both teams are good, and there's going to be an ebb and flow to the game. It has nothing to do with curses, superstition. It has nothing to do with what's happening today, nothing. If you want to believe in that kind of stuff, it's going to hold you back for a long time.

I love tradition. I think tradition is worth time mentally, and tradition is worth being upheld, but curses and superstitions are not.

So it's really great for our entire Cub-dom to get beyond that moment and continue to move forward, because now based on the young players we have in this organization, we have an opportunity to be good for a long time, and without any constraints, without any of the negative dialogue.

You know me. We've known each other for a while. That's the best way. The burden has been lifted. It should have never been there in the first place, I don't think, but now we can move forward."

Wade was, in my opinion, the best coach since Levy and possibly even better than Levy.

Ralph Wilson screwed the pooch on that one, for sure.

all Wade had to do to stay was fire his friend and worst special teams coach in history.....Ronnie Jones

There is only one way to erase the bad karma that has resulted in the past 17 years of misery.

As you know, I wanted to keep the coach that had the best record for the Bills in the past 17 years. He is gone now.

That leaves us one choice and one choice only: hire the guy who the Bills never should have fired and has the best record as head coach of the Buffalo Bills since 1998 and is the last head coach to take the Bills to the playoffs.

Hint: He did not wear a head set and now has as Super Bowl ring.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/30/wade-phillips-buffalo-bills-coach-rex-ryan-fired/

I am probably in the minority, but I always thought Wade was a great coach, a great defensive mind, and a great guy. We should right the wrong.

P.S. If we are considering Tom Coughlin, Wade is one year younger. A baby at 69.

I would take that son of a Bum in a second. but, some of Ralph's crony's are still here and he may want some roster control. So, not happening. Past that he proved in Denver he can work with what he is dealt. Which was a good bunch of players. But he coaches to their strengths. Unlike the now departed Rex.

I like Wade, but he's stated that he's not interested in being a head coach again.

Not what he said in the Jim Kelly club in 2014.

I like Wade, but he's stated that he's not interested in being a head coach again.

I heard him say the exact opposite in an interview with John Murphy a couple of years ago. He said that he'd be interested but understands that his chance may have passed him by. However, that was before Denver's defense won them a Super Bowl.

It's an interesting idea. Remember John Butler stacked him with Ted Washington, Marcellus Wiley, Chris Spielman, Bryce Paup, amd so on. We had the #1 defense under his reign. We have good talent on defense, but need to be coached better. I think Anthony Lynn running his offense could be even better than this year, but would need to carry TT's contract, so we have him for two years, and we find in the first round this year or next a QB who is more game ready.

The salary cap is going from the low 140's million to a projected $166 million. Big leap to keep whoever we want. Romo is one hit from retirement. Terrible decision to take him. As far as RT, I never until last week warmed up to the idea of moving Glenn to RT, because I know he would kil it there, but didn't trust CK until he repeatedly played as a top level LT against some top level talent. You hear the experts say now you're RT has to be as good as you're LT in the way teams are playing defense.

There really is no other QB options out there as much as people try. The only option is if Washington was to completely lose their mind and let Cousins walk out. That is a great option, but will never happen. Wade, Lynn, a DC in Wades mold, and a top level ST coach. I know he has been ok in some places, but our best ST coach in a long time was April. Don't forget we had a top 10 scoring offense this year. This gets repeated and a top defense, and you are looking at a deep playoff team.

In fantasy land, I'd love TT to take a reorg contract, but unlikely, and other teams would be frothing at the mouth for him like Denver, and SF.

I still think the top candidates if they are willing to interview here are Kyle Shanahan, Matt Patricia, and Josh McDaniel. I have no interest in Mike Smith. Look what he squandered in Atlanta. He's doing a great job as a D.C. in Tampa, and needs another top year for teams to seriously consider him as a top HC. Coughlin in no way is coming to Buffalo. It's Jags or retirement working for the NFL.

Sorry for the long post. I don't normally write long posts as most of us have a short attn span. Thanks for putting up with me today.

It's an interesting idea. Remember John Butler stacked him with Ted Washington, Marcellus Wiley, Chris Spielman, Bryce Paup, amd so on. We had the #1 defense under his reign. We have good talent on defense, but need to be coached better. I think Anthony Lynn running his offense could be even better than this year, but would need to carry TT's contract, so we have him for two years, and we find in the first round this year or next a QB who is more game ready.

The salary cap is going from the low 140's million to a projected $166 million. Big leap to keep whoever we want. Romo is one hit from retirement. Terrible decision to take him. As far as RT, I never until last week warmed up to the idea of moving Glenn to RT, because I know he would kil it there, but didn't trust CK until he repeatedly played as a top level LT against some top level talent. You hear the experts say now you're RT has to be as good as you're LT in the way teams are playing defense.

There really is no other QB options out there as much as people try. The only option is if Washington was to completely lose their mind and let Cousins walk out. That is a great option, but will never happen. Wade, Lynn, a DC in Wades mold, and a top level ST coach. I know he has been ok in some places, but our best ST coach in a long time was April. Don't forget we had a top 10 scoring offense this year. This gets repeated and a top defense, and you are looking at a deep playoff team.

In fantasy land, I'd love TT to take a reorg contract, but unlikely, and other teams would be frothing at the mouth for him like Denver, and SF.

I still think the top candidates if they are willing to interview here are Kyle Shanahan, Matt Patricia, and Josh McDaniel. I have no interest in Mike Smith. Look what he squandered in Atlanta. He's doing a great job as a D.C. in Tampa, and needs another top year for teams to seriously consider him as a top HC. Coughlin in no way is coming to Buffalo. It's Jags or retirement working for the NFL.Sorry for the long post. I don't normally write long posts as most of us have a short attn span. Thanks for putting up with me today.

I would not be opposed to drafting Watson and picking up TT's option while Watson is groomed. TT's style leads to a short shelf life IMO more like an RB and in 2 years he may be close to losing a step.

There is only one way to erase the bad karma that has resulted in the past 17 years of misery.

As you know, I wanted to keep the coach that had the best record for the Bills in the past 17 years. He is gone now.

That leaves us one choice and one choice only: hire the guy who the Bills never should have fired and has the best record as head coach of the Buffalo Bills since 1998 and is the last head coach to take the Bills to the playoffs.

Hint: He did not wear a head set and now has as Super Bowl ring.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/30/wade-phillips-buffalo-bills-coach-rex-ryan-fired/

I am probably in the minority, but I always thought Wade was a great coach, a great defensive mind, and a great guy. We should right the wrong.

I have posted the same thing in other threads but said the Bills front office has to make it clear - they have control over hiring and firings (i.e. no Ronnie Jones).