We Have Our Franchise QB

Gugny

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Front 7 good.... back end questionable. If Gilmore goes and Williams retires you are suddenly left with a 3rd year Darby who has not had a good season and a clapped put Corey Graham (who is a likely cap casualty anyway) you are starting over at safety for me and either need to pay Gilmore, pay someone else $10m plus or draft one early for me.

Really must have missed Darbys rookie year

Front 7 good.... back end questionable. If Gilmore goes and Williams retires you are suddenly left with a 3rd year Darby who has not had a good season and a clapped put Corey Graham (who is a likely cap casualty anyway) you are starting over at safety for me and either need to pay Gilmore, pay someone else $10m plus or draft one early for me.

Maybe, like with Kyle Williams, they can restructure their base salaries. Aaron Williams is the wildcard, though. If he retires, we will have to address the position.

I'm sure head coaching candidates are going to be beating down the door to run EJ Manuel out there as their starter. You wouldn't be able to get Lance Leipold to take the job.

Fortunately there's about as good a chance that I am the starter heading into camp next year as EJ.

My view on EJ is that he can have a lengthy career as a backup in this league. Jason Campbell comes to mind who was never good enough to be a franchise qb but was good enough to stay in the league a long time as a backup and make a lot of money.

The intriguing question is what do coaching candidates think of TT as a starter, even if it is only as a bridge qb until a more long-term solution is found. He has intermittently shown that he can be a reasonable starting qb who can give you a chance to win.

Whoever is interviewed for the HC job, even if it is an offensive minded candidate, needs to have some good thoughts on how to fix the defense and how to staff the defense when making their presentation in order to get the job.

If the Bills don't pick up the option on Taylor (an option that pays him an average, to slightly below average $$$ value for an NFL starting QB), and decide to go with either EJ or a rookie QB next season, this franchise is completely hopeless.

This is all true.

I think the predication is a bit far-fetched, but the premise of giving him a legit opportunity after spending some time learning and developing is a decent one. I would not be ready to hand him the reigns to the Offense, but I also think he was doomed from the start when Moron and company threw him to the wolves with nothing more than a jar of peanut butter and a spoon. He needed to take time, build confidence and develop his timing...but instead due to a slippery mat, he was forced to develop / learn while under fire. Such a thing works for some QBs, arguably the best ones, but for others it simply does not. I was not a fan of EJ when he was playing and voiced as much, but I'd be willing to see if he can do better with a stronger run game, better overall Offensive line and some decent WRs to throw to - a more professional Sammy should help, despite the nagging injury. Additionally, there's Clay and Shady.

I meant not had a good year this year. He had a brilliant rookie year, no question. I am not writing Darby off just asking whether him being the leader of the secondary in year 3 after a down year in year 2 is such a good idea.

Coach Loss and Scheme change.

That is why the 4-3 and different cover scheme will do more for the defense than adding more players

If the Bills don't pick up the option on Taylor (an option that pays him an average, to slightly below average $$$ value for an NFL starting QB), and decide to go with either EJ or a rookie QB next season, this franchise is completely hopeless.

I respectfully disagree, as I see the BILLS picking up the option on Taylor with the same sentiment you expressed....to me, Tyrod is NOT a good NFL QB but an incredible athlete with immeasurable physical gifts....however, I think the Bills will sign a relatively younger vet (see Glennon, Mike) and draft one somewhere in the first 2 rounds for the second or third year.

Coach Loss and Scheme change.

That is why the 4-3 and different cover scheme will do more for the defense than adding more players

In fairness the scheme was not that different in 2015 despite all Rex's "fully pregnant" stuff. We did play more man but we played a fair percentage of man in 2015 too. I am optimistic that Darby bounces back - just don't want him having added pressure of being the elder statesman of the secondary at the same time.

Tyrod returning with the 31st ranked passing offense is equally as hopeless

If Tyrod plays Carr and Brady each 100 times he wins how many ? 5-10 ?

In fairness the scheme was not that different in 2015 despite all Rex's "fully pregnant" stuff. We did play more man but we played a fair percentage of man in 2015 too. I am optimistic that Darby bounces back - just don't want him having added pressure of being the elder statesman of the secondary at the same time.

Again how was he coached. What was Ed Reed or whoever saying how to execute said scheme over Donnie Henderson

When the entire secondary falls off in the same scheme something changed

I respectfully disagree, as I see the BILLS picking up the option on Taylor with the same sentiment you expressed....to me, Tyrod is NOT a good NFL QB but an incredible athlete with immeasurable physical gifts....however, I think the Bills will sign a relatively younger vet (see Glennon, Mike) and draft one somewhere in the first 2 rounds for the second or third year.

Glennon is the exact same age as TT: 27.

People think Tyrod is like 32 yrs old apparently.

Only a handful of teams in the NFL have scored more TD's than the Bills since 2015. Scoring can't be ignored. Tyrod has 23 TD's this season between passing/rushing, putting him in the top HALF in the NFL in scoring for QB's (all while having the least turnovers for any NFL QB).

Any chance at all Jones is ready next year kinda like Prescott for Cowboys? Was Prescott rated that much higher than Jones coming out of college?

YES - Prescott was a MUCH better QB in college. Cardale was the 3rd stringer at OSU but played due to injury.

Dak was a dominant force in his Junior(? second to last) year at Mississippi State.

YES - Prescott was a MUCH better QB in college. Cardale was the 3rd stringer at OSU but played due to injury.

Dak was a dominant force in his Junior(? second to last) year at Mississippi State.

Cool, thanks...I watch college football but don't know it that well.

What short memories some here have. Let me refresh memories:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000564572/article/manuels-worst-four-minutes-sinks-bills

And yet, EJ still led a comeback and left the field with a lead that the defense and ref's took from him.

The London game was and still is WAY overblown in evaluating Manuel.

Edited by BobChalmers

I dont want the option picked up.

But as long as the Bills are not forcing it one way or another on the new coach and said new coach makes the call i am ok with it i guess

This I can live with, b/c I agree that regardless of what TT has done here, if the new coach doesn't want TT then so be it. Let the new coach decide.

However, playing devil's advocate: if Whaley doesn't want TT, do you think he'll hire a HC that agrees with his views of TT (assuming Whaley isn't sold on TT)? Or will Whaley hire the best HC candidate regardless of the candidate's views on TT. I would assume Whaley would try to hire someone who shares his views/direction for the team.

I dont want the option picked up.

But as long as the Bills are not forcing it one way or another on the new coach and said new coach makes the call i am ok with it i guess

This is fair enough.. Let the new coach decide

Edited by jms62

In other words, if Lynn says "hey Whaley I want TT back next season, pick up the option" Does Whaley think, well I don't like TT, let me look at the next candidate in line to see what they want to do...That has to play a factor here. I honestly don't know what Whaley objectively thinks of TT.

And yet, EJ still led a comeback and left the field with a lead that the defense and ref's took from him.

The London game was and still is WAY overblown in evaluating Manuel.

He was only in position to attempt a comeback because the Bills defense kept them in and how bad the Jags were. The problem was the end, it was how terrible he is when he is off. His inconsistency is why he'll never be a regular starter again. There is nothing out there to indicate otherwise.

I'm not advocating for EJ to be our QB but I can do the same thing..

Fair enough. But I'll point out that your evidence is three years old. Mine is one.

He was only in position to attempt a comeback because the Bills defense kept them in and how bad the Jags were. The problem was the end, it was how terrible he is when he is off. His inconsistency is why he'll never be a regular starter again. There is nothing out there to indicate otherwise.

Fair enough. But I'll point out that your evidence is three years old. Mine is one.

Yep, I get it

I didn't love EJ's play at FSU (I'm an alumnus and fan) and thought he was a good developmental prospect - not a 1st rounder. He was clearly the best available QB that year though - anyone with a brain knew Geno was a trash system QB whose stats were all padded with 5-yard dumps that went for big YAC.

We do know from both of the last 2 seasons is that he's been the best QB on the roster in preseason play. That's not worth a lot, but it's something, and it's certainly worth finding out if he has, in fact, developed some since we last saw him.

If you don't think TT is the long term answer, then keeping EJ around until we find that guy makes a lot of sense.

We rank #3 in the NFL in touchdowns per game right now. Not much room for improvement unless people here think that bringing a rookie QB is going to take this offense to NFL record-setting levels. So imagine how awesome this team is going to look when we don't score more TD's next season but have 15 more INT's from the QB position.

This I can live with, b/c I agree that regardless of what TT has done here, if the new coach doesn't want TT then so be it. Let the new coach decide.

However, playing devil's advocate: if Whaley doesn't want TT, do you think he'll hire a HC that agrees with his views of TT (assuming Whaley isn't sold on TT)? Or will Whaley hire the best HC candidate regardless of the candidate's views on TT. I would assume Whaley would try to hire someone who shares his views/direction for the team.

I would think he is hirinf the best HC no matter his views on TT. Why? Because for first time in 4 years he will be married to the coach and his future will likely depend on the success of that coach.

I didn't love EJ's play at FSU (I'm an alumnus and fan) and thought he was a good developmental prospect - not a 1st rounder. He was clearly the best available QB that year though - anyone with a brain knew Geno was a trash system QB whose stats were all padded with 5-yard dumps that went for big YAC.

We do know from both of the last 2 seasons is that he's been the best QB on the roster in preseason play. That's not worth a lot, but it's something, and it's certainly worth finding out if he has, in fact, developed some since we last saw him.

If you don't think TT is the long term answer, then keeping EJ around until we find that guy makes a lot of sense.

Refresh my memory didn't his college coach say that he wouldn't be much of an NFL player before we decided we knew more than the man watching him everyday at practice and drafted him.

I would think he is hirinf the best HC no matter his views on TT. Why? Because for first time in 4 years he will be married to the coach and his future will likely depend on the success of that coach.

I would lean towards agreeing with this. However, I could also see a scenario where Whaley has his own vision of what this team should be, and he'll make his hiring based on the best fit to his views. Only natural (in my opinion).