Bills Announce Whaley to Lead the Head Coaching Search

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe this more and more.

They made Rex the scapegoat and leaked to the media and undermined Rex. It would have been nice for the HC - any freaking HC - not to be actively undermined by others in the organization.

Conspiracy theory nonsense. Rex made Rex the scapegoat by not coaching this team very well.

People say "this has happened twice with Whaley" but this is he second time Rex has hidden behind a GM too. It wasn't Idzik and it isn't Whaley - it is Rex. He is a poor Head Coach.

Not exactly true. I said on here in the spring of 2015 that what I had heard was that Whaley was asked to rank the candidates after the first interviews and Rex was not his #1 choice. He certainly has to take some of the blame for Rex because if he did feel strongly it was a bad move (it was) theb he didn't articulate that well enough and threw his weight behind the Pegulas too quickly.

FWIW, I remember reading some stuff to the same effect prior to the Rex hire. As I recall to the effect that Doug's #1 choice was Hue Jackson?

The thing is, if you express your opinions and argue for your choice, but your bosses (and maybe your lateral equal employee) are making a different choice, there's a point where it becomes "is this the ditch I want to die in?" You swallow and get with the program, especially if it's a new boss and you don't have much track record or credibility yet.

Conspiracy theory nonsense. Rex made Rex the scapegoat by not coaching this team very well.

People say "this has happened twice with Whaley" but this is he second time Rex has hidden behind a GM too. It wasn't Idzik and it isn't Whaley - it is Rex. He is a poor Head Coach.

This

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

We aren't going to discuss Russ Brandon. Why would we. He's simply the president of the company on the marketing side. What does that have to do with the team. Russ' role is that of securing a thriving season ticket holder contingent, a strong, rapid fan base, a solid game-day experience, and a competitive marketplace. He is in no way a part of the day to day football operations. Do not look behind the curtain. Just a man. Making season-specific slogans to fire up our dedicated diehard fans. In no way a man putting his unqualified finger on the football decision scales. More of a gladhander. A friend of the old bills alum. A guy who guides the vision. Shapes the twitter voice. Not a fly by night getting in the ownerships ear about football matters. More a man approving signage and ribbon cuttings and wall of fame recipients. Just a guy.

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

Spend some time reading the reaction around the league today and going forward about this move.

The ultimate question is how do you fire the guy who was the most successful Bills coach in the past 17 years after LESS than two years with all of the injuries etc.

The second question will be: how did the guys who have been around the longest during this playoff drought and more responsible for it manage to keep their jobs?

Hmmm. I wonder how Doug et al managed to keep their jobs?

Dareus must be in on the conspiracy too.... or maybe Rex is just bad?

In a sense, he was. It did not help that he got suspended and hurt and missed so many games . . . all while Rex had his back.

Et tu Brutus?

that was what i was thinking when I read the Reddit thread. I don't agree with his scheme either and would have tried to influence him out the door too if I were them. I think he's a nice guy but he appears too lax and disorganized for the job. I'm guessing Pegula was leaning toward giving him the 3rd year and Whaley didn't think things would get any better ... so he made sure to give his opinion. It's the org structure of both reporting to the owner that leads to the "politics" and backstabbing. If Rex reported to whaley he could just fire him and move on. Edited by YoloinOhio

Spend some time reading the reaction around the league today and going forward about this move.

The ultimate question is how do you fire the guy who was the most successful Bills coach in the past 17 years after LESS than two years with all of the injuries etc.

The second question will be: how did the guys who have been around the longest during this playoff drought and more responsible for it manage to keep their jobs?

You're joking right? All you have to do is watch the last 4 games to know why Rex had to go. No conspiracy, no scapegoating. Just Rex with his head up his cornhole.

Oh I think it was Brandon too...I'm not trying to defend Whaley...he likes to trade Draft picks and that drives me literally insane...But I could care less what happened between Whaley and Marrone because in the end Marrone left and that's all I cared about...

I think Whaley is average...Not great, not terrible...He should put more value in acquiring picks than trading them...He could be better no question...

Russ I'm just kinda meh on...

And yes we are stuck with them...And I agree it's not good...I was in favor of blowing the whole thing up... B-)

I think that we are on or close to the same page KOK.

And as bad as Marrone was, I think he was better than Rex. At least he seemed to hold some type of authority. Or maybe it's just me grasping at straws.

I believe this more and more.

They made Rex the scapegoat and leaked to the media and undermined Rex. It would have been nice for the HC - any freaking HC - not to be actively undermined by others in the organization.

I've actually heard this from other sources (that I will not name.)

Here are the answers:

1. Because he has been bad and wasted the talent.

2. Because they were not the ones going to prevent defense halfway through the third quarter in Oakland or trying to stop the best running back in the league with 7 man spacing or punting with the season on the line or not calling time outs in time or not getting 11 men on the field.

There was just so much that can be put directly on a failure of coaching.

You're joking right? All you have to do is watch the last 4 games to know why Rex had to go. No conspiracy, no scapegoating. Just Rex with his head up his cornhole.

Not really.

Who times a leak to come out minutes before the Pittsburgh game other than someone who is trying to further an agenda.

Who kept his job?

Who is going to lead the HC search?