Bills Announce Whaley to Lead the Head Coaching Search

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been very critical of Whaley and don't think he is ultimately the man to lead this organization as GM/Football Ops. I would prefer that they clean house over there.

BUT

Doug Whaley leading the search for and ultimately having the most influence in picking the HC is the best thing moving forward. I will be interested to see who they interview and pursue, and I think we will learn alot about where we are headed as an organization based on this coaching search. The last one was a joke and it was clear at the time that Pegula/Brandon were the main voices and it showed in that they were more interested in established guys like Mike Shanahan or Ryan while the top coordinators like Quinn or Jackson or Bevell were ultimately passed over. (Dan Quinn would have been perfect here). If we ultimately choose Anthony Lynn, it will be clear that no one really wants this job and that the FO is just grasping at straws to extend the remaining days of their job. If they make an out-their-comfort-zone choice, I think it will be a step in the right direction.

Either way, giving Doug Whaley the bulk of the power to make this choice and live with it allows them to get busy winning or get busy dying.

WRT to Whaley, I guess you can make the case that:

-he didnt hire Marrone or Rex; I think this was what was thought at the time

-Watkins trade was more Brandon than Whaley; IMO unlikely

-EJ Manuel was more Nix than Whaley; possible but unlikely

-Shaq Lawson was what Rex wanted despite being hurt; likely IMO

-His poor draft record is attributed more towards the constant scheme changes on defense and offense than his poor talent evaluation

You've taken probably the right approach: let Whaley own it, and give him 2-3 years to do it. I disagree with your assumption about Lynn. I think Whaley sees the qualities he's looking for and he's known. It's quite possible the combination--Whaley/Lynn--is the right combination for the job because their philosophies mesh. The results will determine whether it was right or not.

Edited by TPS

Between most fans being fed up with Whaley (I am personally not yet) and solid evidence that Whaley wasn't a huge fan of Rex/ St. Doug, why not give him the reigns so he goes down if this next HC doesn't work? I think this is the best route to go.

link?

I'm totally fine with Lynn as our HC, as long as our offense keeps putting up the points it is now. Could use some improvements from Tyrod (assuming he stays), of course, but frankly all in all, we could do a lot worse on offense.

The most important thing is finding a DC who can get our defensive players in the right position for success.

Actually Russ should already be fired. Never seen a guy !@#$ up so much and still get promoted.

Russ has done well on the business side with marketing. That is something which is undeniable. But he has no business saying a word in coaching or personnel decision. Actually wait - he should say one word as in 'aye' when Whaley makes his recommendations.

I'm totally fine with Lynn as our HC, as long as our offense keeps putting up the points it is now. Could use some improvements from Tyrod (assuming he stays), of course, but frankly all in all, we could do a lot worse on offense.

The most important thing is finding a DC who can get our defensive players in the right position for success.

He has done well with the O but I am sure you realize that being a HC takes way more than that. I am sure he will be thoroughly evaluated on the non-OC parameters. Also, if he indeed gets the HC job permanently, I would like him to delegate the OC duties to a dedicated hire as I am a big fan of the HC doing the head coaching and not having multiple duties. There is enough to worry about in the HC position to also worry about any one area's coordination.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Who says Lynn wants the job?

He's seen how things work in that front office. He could have other offers and might just decide to walk.

Ha ok sure he will. He will be the Bills HC if the Bills want him.

Except that he hasn't found a coach or a QB- the two most important things. Otherwise he's doing fine.

You condider Ozzie one of the best ever GMs i am sure. How many QBs until he found one?

Between most fans being fed up with Whaley (I am personally not yet) and solid evidence that Whaley wasn't a huge fan of Rex/ St. Doug, why not give him the reigns so he goes down if this next HC doesn't work? I think this is the best route to go.

That's the way to do it.

I have no problem with Whaley making the recommendation for the new HC, and the Pegula's give it their blessing...assuming the blessing is nothing more than a formality. If Whaley identifies his man, and then the Pegula's veto it, the Bills dysfunction will continue...in a major way.

I have no problem with Whaley making the recommendation for the new HC, and the Pegula's give it their blessing...assuming the blessing is nothing more than a formality. If Whaley identifies his man, and then the Pegula's veto it, the Bills dysfunction will continue...in a major way.

Agreed. Let him do every facet of the GM job and then sink or swim on the merits of on the field performance.