Bills Announce Whaley to Lead the Head Coaching Search

26CornerBlitz

Our pick for 2015 was 19, not 9. Could've been a typo, but I'm just making sure.

As far as guys who I would've advocated for had it been our pick, I liked:

Laken Tomlinson

Shaq Thompson (as a box safety/whip)

Malcom Brown

Landon Collins

Devin Funchess

Good catch, I misread our spot as 9. Still, we're "reaching" for Collins (which is fine imo, just sayin, there'd still be criticism no matter what they did). Same as the rest of them. Would be nice to have, but does anyone think our situation looks any different right now?

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok point by point

Yes it is your Opinion thats all it is.

Yes it seems like Whaley is finally in charge of football operations which is a good thing they finally got that structure figured out (doesnt matter if you like Whale or not).

Proof there was a leak. LaCanfora has a history of throwing **** against a wall and seeing what sticks

The Buffalo Bills stood to Benifit. A defensive guru that took over a top defense was given EVERYTHING he wanted, to include his Brother and Former Player, regressed it each year. That there is grounds for termination.

He gets blame however alot of his players are here and playing very well. And has yet to get to pick his coach. Now he does and now along with players how the coach performs can be tied to HIS decision.

No one was complaining Saturday about Sammys price now were they.

Alot of contracts have that injury clause and they handled it perfectly once no longer mathematically able to make the playoffs. Also Overdorf handles contracts specially those clauses, structure, payouts etc.

Good he kept his job. The talent on this team is pretty darn good. And no losing season in 3 years dispite issues talks to the assembled talent. Not to mention the read any pro about this job it mentions the talent. So he keeps his job.

Now floating that idea go research really dude it was well reported during the hiring process of Rex.

Doug Whaley is leading the search for the 1st time in his career as GM. Thats how it should be.

There point by point responses.

Well played i actually had to go look at his twitter was about to blast him for getting into his agent shill mode

BINGO AND SPOT ON

Yes a QB does wonders

I just don't understand how you can keep on ignoring all of the injuries to this team over the past two years as well as the bottom half QB play. Not a fair evaluation

As much as I hate LaCanfora, it is clear (to me) now that he had a source as did others who reported it. Pretend we are not taking about Rex but Coach X. Throwing Coach X under the bus the way it happened was not good for the team and it was not good for Rex.

If you think that DW was not responsible for these leaks so be it. To me, he is suspect number one. He also could have squelched these rumors on his weekly WGR appearances. He did not.

As far as I am concerned it is very clear. The Pegulas hired Rex and they very quickly came to the conclusion they were wrong (I think they knew that by the end of year 1 if I am honest I just think they concluded firing him after 1 year was too bad of a look). Then they fired him.

From what I know from a person I trust (and I said it on here before it was reported elsewhere) Whaley's first choice was not Rex though he indicated he could make it work. Do I believe Whaley started to doubt that this season and spoke to ownership about that? Yes.

But this is on the Pegulas. It was their error 2 years ago and their decision to rectify that now.

I do not buy this revisionist history after digging up that article with the quotes from Whaley going on about how Rex completes him (or at least they complete their sentences).

This is just another reason why I think it was DW who threw Rex under the bus. He clearly wanted to deflect from the fact that he has been around longer during the drought and he was in the FO or GM when we overpaid for Sammy, drafted EJ in the first round, allowed Marcell to have a contract that the Bills could not get out of, and allowed the crippling injury clause in TT's contract . . . and still do not have a franchise QB.

Just my two cents.

COYG

Edited by Peter

I just don't understand how you can keep on ignoring all of the injuries to this team over the past two years as well as the bottom half QB play. Not a fair evaluation

As much as I hate LaCanfora, it is clear (to me) now that he had a source as did others who reported it. Pretend we are not taking about Rex but Coach X. Throwing Coach X under the bus the way it happened was not good for the team and it was not good for Rex.

If you think that DW was not responsible for these leaks so be it. To me, he is suspect number one. He also could have squelched these rumors on his weekly WGR appearances. He did not.

I do not buy this revisionist history after digging up that article with the quotes from Whaley going on about how Rex completes him (or at least they complete their sentences).

This is just another reason why I think it was DW who threw Rex under the bus. He clearly wanted to deflect from the fact that he has been around longer during the drought and he was in the FO or GM when we overpaid for Sammy, drafted EJ in the first round, allowed Marcell to have a contract that the Bills could not get out of, and allowed the crippling injury clause in TT's contract . . . and still do not have a franchise QB.

Just my two cents.

COYG

I can ignore or dismiss the injury excuse because on the otherside of the ball had a TON more injuries and still performed didnt regress EVERY YEAR

But i am done you just hate Whaley so much you can think logically

Edited by MAJBobby

I can ignore or dismiss the injury excuse because on the otherside of the ball had a TON more injuries and still performed didnt regress EVERY YEAR

But i am done you just hate Whaley so much you can think logically

He was the HC of the entire team.

He was the one who made the difficult and controversial decision to let Roman go and promote A. Lynn (with whom your guy is now infatuated).

If you think that the injuries on defense did not effect the defense's performance over the past few years, we disagree immensely.

I realize that you are a Doug Whaley guy. He now "owns" it all. He will choose the next HC. If the Bills have a lot of injuries or suffer other extenuating circumstances, I suppose I will have to decide whether to be fair or be like some of you guys have been and pretend that it does not matter. When there are leaks stating that Doug Whaley is on the hot seat or could be fired etc., I will have to decide whether it is fair or undermines his position.

Doug is now finding out that karma is a real B word.

He was the HC of the entire team.

He was the one who made the difficult and controversial decision to let Roman go and promote A. Lynn (with whom your guy is now infatuated).

If you think that the injuries on defense did not effect the defense's performance over the past few years, we disagree immensely.

I realize that you are a Doug Whaley guy. He now "owns" it all. He will choose the next HC. If the Bills have a lot of injuries or suffer other extenuating circumstances, I suppose I will have to decide whether to be fair or be like some of you guys have been and pretend that it does not matter. When there are leaks stating that Doug Whaley is on the hot seat or could be fired etc., I will have to decide whether it is fair or undermines his position.

Doug is now finding out that karma is a real B word.

Yes he was his offenses have historically sucked

Greg Roman was scapegoated nothing controversial about it. And no Lynn is not my first choice

If you think injuries didnt effect offense well your right lol.

Let me ask you how many defensive injuries this year again?

No not really Doug is finding out what most of us Already know the Buffalo Media Just B word about everything.

Edited by MAJBobby

Yes he was his offenses have historically sucked

Greg Roman was scapegoated nothing controversial about it. And no Lynn is not my first choice

If you think injuries didnt effect offense well your right lol.

Let me ask you how many defensive injuries this year again?

No not really Doug is finding out what most of us Already know the Buffalo Media Just B word about everything.

Of course injuries effected the offense. I listed players on the offensive and defensive side of the ball for a reason.

Regarding the defensive injuries, I listed all or most of the guys earlier, but let me concentrate on two of them.

1) Our best player and best player on defense missed four games due to suspension and followed that up with multiple missed games due to injury or whatever.

2) Aaron Williams (our QB of the defensive backfield) has not played since the first Dolphin game. He missed significant time last year. His back up got hurt. His back up's back up got hurt. We had so many injuries to the position, we played a street free agent and even had to put him on season ending IR.

P.S. I forgot to mention Jerry Hughes in my earlier post. He apparently has had a hamstring problem since early in the season. Not a good injury to have for someone who relies on his speed and agility to be effective.

Of course injuries effected the offense. I listed players on the offensive and defensive side of the ball for a reason.

Regarding the defensive injuries, I listed all or most of the guys earlier, but let me concentrate on two of them.

1) Our best player and best player on defense missed four games due to suspension and followed that up with multiple missed games due to injury or whatever.

2) Aaron Williams (our QB of the defensive backfield) has not played since the first Dolphin game. He missed significant time last year. His back up got hurt. His back up's back up got hurt. We had so many injuries to the position, we played a street free agent and even had to put him on season ending IR.

P.S. I forgot to mention Jerry Hughes in my earlier post. He apparently has had a hamstring problem since early in the season. Not a good injury to have for someone who relies on his speed and agility to be effective.

And how many Wins when Dareus was suspended and hurt?

Actually we played a draft pick ALOT is Meeks

So Rexs is such a genius two players missing sink and regress his defense.

And you want this guy as a HC?

Also just for my own knowledge when wAs Rex' last winning season again?

Edited by MAJBobby

And how many Wins when Dareus was suspended and hurt?

Actually we played a draft pick ALOT is Meeks

So Rexs is such a genius two players missing sink and regress his defense.

And you want this guy as a HC?

Also just for my own knowledge when wAs Rex' last winning season again?

I listed more than two in my earlier posts. I clearly said that I was concentrating in that post on two: the team's best player and the QB of the defensive backs. If you read that post, it is all there.

Yes, the injuries effected the defense.

To me it is clear as day that injuries effected the defense and offense.

If you do not think that injuries effect a team, look at the Sabres record with and without Jack Eichel. That is just one guy.

I listed more than two in my earlier posts. I clearly said that I was concentrating in that post on two: the team's best player and the QB of the defensive backs. If you read that post, it is all there.

Yes, the injuries effected the defense.

To me it is clear as day that injuries effected the defense and offense.

If you do not think that injuries effect a team, look at the Sabres record with and without Jack Eichel. That is just one guy.

Dareus is not the teams best player. We are now comparing INJ in football to INJ in hockey. Comeon man your better than this.

Dareus is not the teams best player. We are now comparing INJ in football to INJ in hockey. Comeon man your better than this.

According to the money and cap that your guy approved paying Marcell, he is or is supposed to be the best player.

Again, injuries matter. So does not having a franchise QB.

I will remember your posts if the Bills, DW as GM, and DW's HC hire are not as successful as we would like because of extenuating circumstances like injuries etc. Be careful with your arguments. Sh*t does happen, and this board (and the Buffalo media) have shown that they are not as understanding as me or as willing to look at the forest from the trees.

Karma is a B word.

Edited by Peter

According to the money and cap that your guy approved paying Marcell, he is or is supposed to be the best player.

Again, injuries matter. So does not having a franchise QB.

I will remember your posts if the Bills, DW as GM, and DW's HC hire are not as successful as we would like because of extenuating circumstances like injuries etc. Be careful with your arguments. Sh*t does happen, and this board (and the Buffalo media) have shown that they are not as understanding as me or as willing to look at the forest from the trees.

Karma is a B word.

What you dont get with me if Whaley fails picking his coAch fire him. See how that works but god damn let him actually get to pick his coach not Russ and then Russ, Terry and Kim.

What you dont get with me if Whaley fails picking his coAch fire him. See how that works but god damn let him actually get to pick his coach not Russ and then Russ, Terry and Kim.

When did Doug and Rex stop completing each other's sentences?

Actually Russ should already be fired. Never seen a guy !@#$ up so much and still get promoted.

Wait who am i kidding i am in the military of course i have.

That is funny. Well done.

@viccarucci

My #Bills Wake-Up Call: Don't expect a thorough 'search' for new HC. NEW at [bN] Blitz: https://t.co/8FEAhEu2mK

there's every indication from within One Bills Drive that they're settled on sticking with Anthony Lynn beyond the interim head coach status he has for Sunday's season-finale against the New York Jets.

:censored::wallbash::censored::wallbash: continuity :oops:

Yep.

When did Doug and Rex stop completing each other's sentences?

Probably around the time that Rex came to him and said "I've ballsed up that 4th overall D I inherited. We need to spend all our picks on defense."

Edited by GunnerBill

I'm sure Russ will get the blame for whomever DW hires and fails by

You're missing the point Hardcore, by doing this, now the responsibility lays solely on Whaley's shoulders, as it should have been when he was appointed GM of this team.

If the next HC fails, I will blame him.

I've been very critical of Whaley and don't think he is ultimately the man to lead this organization as GM/Football Ops. I would prefer that they clean house over there.

BUT

Doug Whaley leading the search for and ultimately having the most influence in picking the HC is the best thing moving forward. I will be interested to see who they interview and pursue, and I think we will learn alot about where we are headed as an organization based on this coaching search. The last one was a joke and it was clear at the time that Pegula/Brandon were the main voices and it showed in that they were more interested in established guys like Mike Shanahan or Ryan while the top coordinators like Quinn or Jackson or Bevell were ultimately passed over. (Dan Quinn would have been perfect here). If we ultimately choose Anthony Lynn, it will be clear that no one really wants this job and that the FO is just grasping at straws to extend the remaining days of their job. If they make an out-their-comfort-zone choice, I think it will be a step in the right direction.

Either way, giving Doug Whaley the bulk of the power to make this choice and live with it allows them to get busy winning or get busy dying.

WRT to Whaley, I guess you can make the case that:

-he didnt hire Marrone or Rex; I think this was what was thought at the time

-Watkins trade was more Brandon than Whaley; IMO unlikely

-EJ Manuel was more Nix than Whaley; possible but unlikely

-Shaq Lawson was what Rex wanted despite being hurt; likely IMO

-His poor draft record is attributed more towards the constant scheme changes on defense and offense than his poor talent evaluation

I've been very critical of Whaley and don't think he is ultimately the man to lead this organization as GM/Football Ops. I would prefer that they clean house over there.

BUT

Doug Whaley leading the search for and ultimately having the most influence in picking the HC is the best thing moving forward. I will be interested to see who they interview and pursue, and I think we will learn alot about where we are headed as an organization based on this coaching search. The last one was a joke and it was clear at the time that Pegula/Brandon were the main voices and it showed in that they were more interested in established guys like Mike Shanahan or Ryan while the top coordinators like Quinn or Jackson or Bevell were ultimately passed over. (Dan Quinn would have been perfect here). If we ultimately choose Anthony Lynn, it will be clear that no one really wants this job and that the FO is just grasping at straws to extend the remaining days of their job. If they make an out-their-comfort-zone choice, I think it will be a step in the right direction.

Either way, giving Doug Whaley the bulk of the power to make this choice and live with it allows them to get busy winning or get busy dying.

WRT to Whaley, I guess you can make the case that:

-he didnt hire Marrone or Rex; I think this was what was thought at the time

-Watkins trade was more Brandon than Whaley; IMO unlikely

-EJ Manuel was more Nix than Whaley; possible but unlikely

-Shaq Lawson was what Rex wanted despite being hurt; likely IMO

-His poor draft record is attributed more towards the constant scheme changes on defense and offense than his poor talent evaluation

If you compare hisn"poor" draft record to most GMs it not really poor