EJ time! Starting vs Jets

KDIGGZ

Whaley fights tooth and nail for EJ. He makes decisions like he's his child.

You are being a bit irrational here.

I don't think that anyone considers Manuel a likely option as a starter next year. The risk of HAVING to pick up the $30M contract for Taylor if he gets hurt is too great. I think it is very rational to sit him this week and get the next coach's input on whether he wants Taylor here before DECIDING whether to pay Taylor that kind of money.

If Taylor played and was hurt, the Bills would be stuck with him regardless of whether the new coach wanted him or not. Then, folks here would blame Whaley for "saddling the new coach with a QB he doesn't want".

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Un-effing-believable. Tyrod Taylor, whatever his flaws, has had an objectively solid season and has played well lately. Manuel's contract is up and he is not as good as Taylor. Some here are no doubt looking forward to celebrating drafting 13th instead of 17th -- as if that will change things.

It's because of the injury clause in his contract not to tank the game for a little higher draft pick.. Meaningless game not worth the risk even a little bit.. It's the smart decision.

I don't look at this as Whaley completely throwing in the towel on Tyrod.

I believe they still have interest in keeping Tyrod, just not at the huge number they would be stuck with if he gets hurt.

Sitting him gives Whaley options to bring back Tyrod at a friendlier price without forcing his hand.

It's smart.

As for the EJ talk. If Whaley uses this one game to justify signing EJ to a future deal then Whaley is just blind and he should be shown the door as well.

There is not a snowball's chance in hell that Taylor renegotiates with Buffalo. He could start for a bunch of NFL teams.

It's because of the injury clause in his contract not to tank the game for a little higher draft pick.. Meaningless game not worth the risk even a little bit.. It's the smart decision.

I hear ya, but as I said elsewhere in the thread, the signaling is the issue with me. That is, it signals unwarranted faith in Manuel and a lack of commitment to Taylor. I don't foresee Taylor being on the Bills come March 4, but I'll freely admit I could be wrong.

I'd think it shows the next coaching staff that the front office doesn't think TT is the guy. You're not going to see any other starting QB's benched on teams that are out of the playoff race for the final week. Unless they aren't the solidified starter.

I'd venture only a handful have large bonuses guaranteed for injury coming up real soon either though which is the real discussion point

This is a well reasoned post buy my gut feeling is that since Whaley is going to control the shots, we're not going to end up with a coach that wants Tyrod Taylor. I could be wrong, but honestly, I don't have a ton of faith in our GM.

That is something that only time will tell.

Personally I like TT but I get the arguments of the people who don't. The two years with Rex, to me, buy Whaley some slack. I think this is especially true given how badly Whaley's hand was forced in this draft. Rex trashed our defense and look at what we picked up in rounds 1-3.....a DE from Rex's son's frat house that hopefully will not be Eric Flowers part deux, an LB that is not a fit in any NFL defense except Rex's unworkable one and a marginal backup DL whose college coach snickered when he was picked.

I think this should buy TT some grace period in that he didn't get any receiver or line help but it should buy Whaley some slack too. The Whaley/TT relationship makes for interesting speculation but it seems like all speculation to me. But there will be another personality in the mix too, and that will be the new coach.

That is something that only time will tell.

Personally I like TT but I get the arguments of the people who don't. The two years with Rex, to me, buy Whaley some slack. I think this is especially true given how badly Whaley's hand was forced in this draft. Rex trashed our defense and look at what we picked up in rounds 1-3.....a DE from Rex's son's frat house that hopefully will not be Eric Flowers part deux, an LB that is not a fit in any NFL defense except Rex's unworkable one and a marginal backup DL whose college coach snickered when he was picked.

I think this should buy TT some grace period in that he didn't get any receiver or line help but it should buy Whaley some slack too. The Whaley/TT relationship makes for interesting speculation but it seems like all speculation to me. But there will be another personality in the mix too, and that will be the new coach.

I get the arguments too - he's not great. But he's at least decent. I don't see anyone else out there who will be as good as him next season.

There is not a snowball's chance in hell that Taylor renegotiates with Buffalo. He could start for a bunch of NFL teams.

There is no negotiating necessary. If the Bills want him, they can keep him. There is only a need for negotiation if they want him at a reduced price.

I get the arguments too - he's not great. But he's at least decent. I don't see anyone else out there who will be as good as him next season.

I pretty much agree and would be sick to my stomach if we took his money and gave it to say Romo. I think that would be dumb.

It is also entirely possible that the Bills are 100% committed to Tyrod.

But, they know they have to get a coach. And that new coach that they decide they want, might not want Tyrod.

So it stands to reason that they absolutely have to keep all options open so that the new coach will want to sign with Buffalo instead of getting stuck with a QB he might not want.

If the Bills got locked into Tyrod for the next 3 years, then their coaching options would be limited to coaches who want that situation.

Makes total sense that they bench him. Can't risk injury when which triggers payday when the playoff race is over.

When Whaley gets asked about it, that is what he is going to say because it is the truth.

Gotta keep options open for new coach until that coach is under contract.

Edited by PolishDave

I hear ya, but as I said elsewhere in the thread, the signaling is the issue with me. That is, it signals unwarranted faith in Manuel and a lack of commitment to Taylor. I don't foresee Taylor being on the Bills come March 4, but I'll freely admit I could be wrong.

I disagree bud. I believe it will be up to the new head coach whether Taylor is a fit for his team. I'd so it becomes a value issue, and no one is going to sign Taylor for the amount he was due if he remained with the team. So no reason pigeonholing yourself into a huge deal.

Taylor's agent is a business man. If the Bills offer Taylor a better deal than any other team he'll be coming back.

The best chance of this happening is with Lynn being named HC. Lynn knows Tyrod and his benching is whaleys call and not the HC. Lynn might still have confidence in Taylor and believes he can still get the best out of him.

It becomes less likely with a new HC who may have their own idea of who their starting QB would be.

i would be fine keeping the guy if the new coach wants him but can you imagine the disaster it would be if TT blows out his knee and we are 100% tied to him with a starting level contract while looking for a new coach to install a new offense that his anointed by no choice of his own starting qb couldnt get on the field to learn.

I don't think Red's firing and TT's sitting out the Jet's game has any impact on TT's future with the team.

I don't either. They don't need to make a decision on him for months from now. A lot can happen in that time. If he gets hurt, they lose any ability to have the option. It's a business decision. They could very well exercise the option and I think a lot will ride on the HC. Edited by YoloinOhio

i would be fine keeping the guy if the new coach wants him but can you imagine the disaster it would be if TT blows out his knee and we are 100% tied to him with a starting level contract while looking for a new coach to install a new offense that his anointed by no choice of his own starting qb couldnt get on the field to learn.

100% agree.

/thread

this !

What in the hell is the point of starting EJ everyone knows he's not the answer. this team pisses me off so much. Give Cardale a shot

Probably because Cardale is nowhere near starter ready. If he plays at all it will probably be 2nd half or if EJ throws 4 picks early.