EJ time! Starting vs Jets

KDIGGZ

Tomlin just announced that Big Ben and several other starters won't play Sunday. Granted it is only the Browns they are playing but doing that admits that winning that particular game is not their top priority.

The Browns are desperate to lose that game. They didn't want to go winless, and now that hurdle has been cleared, it's crucial for them to lose if they want to keep the #1 pick. Pittsburgh could start the TBD all stars this Sunday and the Browns would still desperately seek out ways to lose.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomlin just announced that Big Ben and several other starters won't play Sunday. Granted it is only the Browns they are playing but doing that admits that winning that particular game is not their top priority.

It's quite different, and I think everyone knows it, when you rest guys for the playoffs. It's also quite different when you are out of the playoffs and you GENUINELY want to take a look at a promising young quarterback that was a high pick and who is your future starter.

The Browns are desperate to lose that game. They didn't want to go winless, and now that hurdle has been cleared, it's crucial for them to lose if they want to keep the #1 pick. Pittsburgh could start the TBD all stars this Sunday and the Browns would still desperately seek out ways to lose.

True. But they are not going to trot out Hue Jackson to say it was a business decision not to play Joe Thomas and Joe Haden.

@mikerodak

Bills' EJ Manuel says he plans on playing the entire game Sunday. No expectation of... http://es.pn/2ihVpdR

@JaySkurski

#Bills WR Robert Woods says "I don't think it's fair," that Tyrod Taylor has been benched, but concedes "it's all about money."

Woods or any other player should agree with the benching. From a players' perspective, the same thing happens when they hold out wanting a better contract.

Edited by Saint Doug

When a team has been eliminated from playoff contention the GM wants to be in evaluation mode as much as possible for the next season. They want to see what they have at numerous positions from a depth perspective so they can better assess what they need to address. This can sometimes interfere with a HC wanting more wins ok their resume, particularly if the HC doesn't feel like they have job security. I.e. marrone playing orton in the last game of 2014 and hanging his hat forever on 9-7.

In this case with an interim HC, Whaley has full power to go into evaluative mode and that can only help his construction of the team going forward and for the next HC. A loss means nothing except higher draft position which may put them ahead of Cleveland's pick they got from Philly ... could be a big deal when it comes to whether they intend to draft a QB.

The Jets should also be in evaluative mode so there are going to be a lot of backups and young players out there. I except a good dose of Jonathan Williams, for example.

Edited by YoloinOhio

If Whaley really was looking a EJ beyond this season as the answer, he would have advocated for exercising the 5th year option. Instead EJ is headed to UFA in 2017.

That would have been tough for him to feed to the team and owners and coaches, paying him $11.4m after the season he had and TT had. Even if he thought EJ was good.

That would have been tough for him to feed to the team and owners and coaches, paying him $11.4m after the season he had and TT had. Even if he thought EJ was good.

Correct. But he could've pushed a modest extension instead of he was desperate to push ej on us as alleged by some

He can't worry about idjits. ;) Why would EJ and his agent agreed to any kind of modest extension with TT as well as Cardale here.

Because he's likely looking at a modest contract anyway and for some reason seems to like the buffalo despite how things worked out for him.

Oh and with tyrod and cardale as the only competition it's as open a spot as any for him to get some reps potentially

@SalSports

Incognito: no resentment at all in locker room over Taylor situation. "That's the business side of things.At end of the day it's a business"

Is Tyrod going to lose money this season by not starting against the Jets? The Bills already gave him a very nice raise this year when they didn't have to. I'm sure Tyrod is disappointed to not be playing, but this is a meaningless game. Whatever impression he's going to make on the Bills front office was made already.

Because he's likely looking at a modest contract anyway and for some reason seems to like the buffalo despite how things worked out for him.

Oh and with tyrod and cardale as the only competition it's as open a spot as any for him to get some reps potentially

Maybe. IMO he's going to get a surprisingly good contract for two years or more to be a backup. The backups around the league are pitiful.

Maybe. IMO he's going to get a surprisingly good contract for two years or more to be a backup. The backups around the league are pitiful.

I suspect my modest contract and your surprisingly good one aren't wildly different. Modest for a qb would be surprisingly good for ej for many posters.

You could give the guy a 2 year deal for good backup money if you are dying to give him a chance ala the Whaley accusations. Would make more sense than the option was all I was getting it. Regardless though, it not being done continues to go against that narrative that's suddenly being pushed again

Is Tyrod going to lose money this season by not starting against the Jets? The Bills already gave him a very nice raise this year when they didn't have to. I'm sure Tyrod is disappointed to not be playing, but this is a meaningless game. Whatever impression he's going to make on the Bills front office was made already.

Indeed

I suspect my modest contract and your surprisingly good one aren't wildly different. Modest for a qb would be surprisingly good for ej for many posters.

You could give the guy a 2 year deal for good backup money if you are dying to give him a chance ala the Whaley accusations. Would make more sense than the option was all I was getting it. Regardless though, it not being done continues to go against that narrative that's suddenly being pushed again

Yep. Agree with all of that.

Yeah, what's up with that? I wasn't a fan of Hackenberg in his final year at PSU, but him not playing in this game makes zero sense. I really don't understand it. There is no reason to play Fitz.

decent synopsis here

http://pro32.ap.org/article/hackenberg-waits-his-chance-redshirt-year-jets?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_NFL