Trump foreign policy

Any of the econ experts want to chime in on the above? Why would Bolton's dismissal/resignation lead to a sudden drop in oil like that? Considering Bolton's penchant for war (especially in the ME) wouldn't oil stay stable (or go up) if he left as the odds of war/military action drops? 

Or is that not the wager they're making? 

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

Look closer at that graph. It dropped about 2% from the day's high but not the day's start.

100% :beer: 

I was just surprised it went down at all rather than going the other way considering Bolton's news triggered it. 

5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Any of the econ experts want to chime in on the above? Why would Bolton's dismissal/resignation lead to a sudden drop in oil like that? Considering Bolton's penchant for war (especially in the ME) wouldn't oil stay stable (or go up) if he left as the odds of war/military action drops? 

I was just surprised it went down at all rather than going the other way considering Bolton's news triggered it. 

You've got it wrong. When tensions rise the price of oil will rise with the idea that tensions may cause interruptions to supply.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

My take is that Bolton's departure is a possible signal of more stability to come in the region. It's the instability of the region that leads to oil price explosion fears. The more stable, the less variable the supply (not accounting for OPEC decisions).

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

War increases risk.  Risk increases price.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Trump Flirts With $15 Billion Bailout for Iran, Sources Say

Trump says he hates the Obama-era nuclear deal with Iran. But he’s toying with a French proposal to get the Iranians to comply with it: a $15 billion line of credit to Tehran.

Published 09.11.19 

ERIN BANCO,

lol, pallets of money anyone? ? He might pay them to get back into the Obama deal, oh boy, that's rich! 

Please God make this happen! 

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Trump Flirts With $15 Billion Bailout for Iran, Sources Say

Trump says he hates the Obama-era nuclear deal with Iran. But he’s toying with a French proposal to get the Iranians to comply with it: a $15 billion line of credit to Tehran.

Published 09.11.19 

ERIN BANCO,

lol, pallets of money anyone? ? He might pay them to get back into the Obama deal, oh boy, that's rich! 

Please God make this happen! 

I'd be shocked if Trump went for that without significant revisions to the agreement such as longer/lower enrichment levels and a variety of peace related commitments. 

16 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

I'd be shocked if Trump went for that without significant revisions to the agreement such as longer/lower enrichment levels and a variety of peace related commitments. 

We know why Bolton resigned now. So this looks serious. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1VZ0C9

Reuters reported on July 31 that Hamza had been killed, citing a U.S. official with knowledge of the matter. But Saturday's statement represents the first time the U.S. government has confirmed the operation.”

Trump Confirms Osama Bin Laden’s Son Is Dead

"Hamza bin Ladin, the high-ranking al-Qa'ida member and son of Usama bin Ladin, was killed in a United States counter-terrorism operation in the Afghanistan/Pakistan region,” Trump said in a statement”

Edited by Hedge
  • Like (+1) 2

...have been and probably will always be suspect of our Middle East foreign policy going back to Iraq in 2003........have GREAT disdain for Wolfowicz and Pearle leading the hawkish charge for 2003 invasion solely for the purpose of protecting THEIR mother land(OPINION here).....probably terribly wrong, but never saw their actions as "USA First".....Benji has been recycled more times than Cali's "Moonbeam Jerry" or the NBA's Larry Brown...how or why has this benefitted us?.....democracy is NOT for everyone and look at the gaping holes Trump has exposed in our perfect "worldwide model"...guess I'm in usual senior moment "missed the memo".........

2 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Obviously, this is Iran's doing with the attempt to disrupt the oil market. It's getting closer and closer to the time when Iran has to pay a very deep price for their actions.

That's the trap the mullahs are trying to set. Get their proxies to force an attack on Iran, so that they can proclaim victim status and rally the protesters threatening the regime around the flag.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

That's the trap the mullahs are trying to set. Get their proxies to force an attack on Iran, so that they can proclaim victim status and rally the protesters threatening the regime around the flag.

My first step would be to loudly warn Iran to stay away from our ships or pay the price of losing their gunboats.  We can't go on cutting them slack just to prevent them from becoming a perceived victim. I would also tell them that any further disruption of the oil trade would cause permanent destruction of their oil facilities. Let them see that poking the bear isn't the right way to go.

4 hours ago, Hedge said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1VZ0C9

Reuters reported on July 31 that Hamza had been killed, citing a U.S. official with knowledge of the matter. But Saturday's statement represents the first time the U.S. government has confirmed the operation.”

Trump Confirms Osama Bin Laden’s Son Is Dead

"Hamza bin Ladin, the high-ranking al-Qa'ida member and son of Usama bin Ladin, was killed in a United States counter-terrorism operation in the Afghanistan/Pakistan region,” Trump said in a statement”

giphy.webp

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The Mullahs must have heard the Taliban got an invite to Camp David and got upset. Now the oil infrastructure is burning burning burning ? 

Will oil prices spike? 

This is is a great reason for a green new deal. Protecting oil profits isn’t worth it 

13 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Nary a peep in the US media about this, outside of the Wall Street Journal.

God forbid they allow anyone (including Iran itself) to challenge the narrative.

Actually is front page on the Washington Post, but blame the media all you want 

54 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The Mullahs must have heard the Taliban got an invite to Camp David and got upset. Now the oil infrastructure is burning burning burning ? 

Will oil prices spike? 

This is is a great reason for a green new deal. Protecting oil profits isn’t worth it 

Actually is front page on the Washington Post, but blame the media all you want 

What it actually is, is a great new reason to uncouple ourselves from middle eastern oil. The US needs to be energy independent by all means , sources and technology necessary. 

19 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What it actually is, is a great new reason to uncouple ourselves from middle eastern oil. The US needs to be energy independent by all means , sources and technology necessary. 

Yes and the Green New Deal Will accomplish this. Some millennial who knows nothing of this stuff told me so. 

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ALF said:

MBS tells Trump Saudi 'willing and able' to respond to attacks

US leader ready to work with kingdom on security as Pompeo accuses Iran of direct involvement in Houthi-claimed attacks.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/09/mbs-tells-trump-saudi-respond-attacks-190914192436368.html

No talk of retaliation? Interesting. You can’t secure anything without going on offense, so it sounds like they are dumbfounded by this development. Trump wanted to put the squeeze on Iran, and they have really struck back hard here. 

If the attack was carried out from Iraq, that would be an interesting development for that liberated nation. 

Just now, Tiberius said:

No talk of retaliation? Interesting. You can’t secure anything without going on offense, so it sounds like they are dumbfounded by this development. Trump wanted to put the squeeze on Iran, and they have really struck back hard here. 

If the attack was carried out from Iraq, that would be an interesting development for that liberated nation. 

For clarity, you WANT a war with Iran?

57 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s a global economy so the world really needs independence from oil, not just us. 

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

For clarity, you WANT a war with Iran?

That’s what you want me to want. 

And no I do not. I actually wanted the Obama nuclear deal to keep going which was working. It worked so well that Trump was telling Iran to stay in the deal after he pulled out of it! <——— please read that last sentence again because it will be something you and all Trump supporters will forget almost immediately.